Tullow is a town of 4,000 people in the north-east of County Carlow.
Settled on the River Slaney (a resource which the town uses to its full potential) and steeped in history, the town is surrounded by picturesque beauty spots. It is enjoying a period of unprecedented development and growth, as more and more people choose Tullow for its quiet setting and proximity to larger urban areas. It is 15 km from Carlow Town.
- By car take N80 from Carlow Town or N81 from Dublin.
- Statue of Father John Murphy, the Square (centre of town). Murphy was a rebellious leader who fought for Irish independence. He was captured and executed in the Market Square in July 1798.
- Tullow Museum (beside the River Slaney Bridge). Su & bank holidays 14:00-17:00; in summer to end of Oct, also Tu-F 14:00-16:00. A small museum in a stone-built former Methodist church containing information on the events around 1798 and other historical items of local interest. Free.
- Altamont Gardens, 9 km south of Tullow, near Ballon. Daily from 09:00; closes between 16:00 and 18:30 depending on season. Free, €2 car parking.
- Huntington Castle and Gardens, Clonegal.
- Rathgall Hill Fort (Ring of Rath), near R725 (Shillelagh–Tullow road) (5 km east of Tullow in County Wicklow).
- Killerig Golf Club, Baunogephlure. Open from 08:00 each morning, the seven-year-old course is adjacent to the Ramada Hotel and Suites. Green fees start at €35, but special offers are often available.
- Mount Wolseley Golf. The Christy O'Connor Jr. designed course is a par 72 and 7,206 yards long off the championship tees. Golf carts and clubs are available from the golf shop, which is open daily from 10:00-17:00. Private dining is available in the adjacent Mount Wolseley Hilton.
- Krish Indian Restaurant, Church St, ☏ . M-Th 5-11:30PM, F-Su 5PM-midnight. €8-15.
- Forge Restaurant, Kilbride, Ballon, ☏ . Traditional Irish food in an old granite stone building. 1 km from Altamont Gardens. Worth a visit.
- [dead link] The Derreen, Mill St, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Has 7 big screens showing all sports popular in Ireland.
- Killamaster House, Killamaster, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Farmhouse with beautiful views. sharing.
- Ballyderrin House, Shillelagh Rd, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Close to Tullow Town, with spacious gardens for private use.
- Laburnum Lodge, Bunclody Rd, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Georgian house set in the Slaney Valley. 1km from Tullow, and within reachable distance of golf courses and fishing.
- 1 Mount Wolseley Hotel (formerly Hilton), Tullow R93 C9H0, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Upscale hotel spa and country club in a mansion built in 1864, gets mostly great reviews for comfort and service, but some lapses. See above for the golf course. B&B double €200.
- 2 Ballykealy House, Rosslare Rd, Ballon R93 A9K1 (on N80 six km south of town), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Smart upscale hotel, gets great reviews for comfort, service and cuisine, but only offering B&B Saturday nights. They also have 14 lodges each with two double bedrooms, sleeping 5. B&B double €200.