Tuusula is a suburban municipality, around 30 km north of Helsinki, made up of urban areas and villages. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Lake Tuusula was a popular destination for Finnish painters and other artists, who had their summer cottages along the shores of the lake. Some of them have been turned into museums.
Tuusula is a rural municipality with a long history, and formerly included the towns of Kerava and Järvenpää. Since the 1960s, the population has grown significantly along with the Capital Region and the region around it. In the last decades, Tuusula has become popular with families moving out from Helsinki to single-family homes in the urban areas and countryside.
- See Helsinki#Get around for information about HSL public transport fares and tickets.
From Helsinki and Vantaa, follow freeway 45 to get to Hyrylä. The urban area of Jokela has a railway station with local trains from Helsinki and Riihimäki. To Hyrylä there are frequent buses from central Helsinki, Vantaa and Kerava.
See Helsinki#Get_around for information about fares and tickets Get around by local bus, car, bike, or on foot.
See Uusimaa#By_taxi for information about companies and fares
- Petax. Smart phone app offers address based routing and calculates price according to them. Daytime M–Sa €4.00/1.00/km+0.90/min, nights and holidays €7.90+1.05/km+0.99/min; prebooking €7/14; the lower km and prebooking fees for 1–4 persons.
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi
- 1 Death house of Aleksis Kivi (Aleksis Kiven kuolinmökki). The last home of Aleksis Kivi (1834-1872), one of the most famous writers in Finnish history. He's buried in Tuusula cemetery, at the southern end of the lake.
- [dead link] Tuusulan rantatie and Lake Tuusula. The road that goes along the eastern lakeshore (Tuusulan rantatie) is a scenic drive in the summer.
- 4 Anti-aircraft warfare museum (Ilmatorjuntamuseo), Klaavolantie 2. Tu-Su 11-17. The premises of the Helsinki Air Defence Regiment until 2006 has been turned into a museum with guns and other air-defense equipment from WWI until modern times on display. Adults €7, Children €1.
- 5 Pieni Kotieläintila ja Kahvila Onni, Santavillantie 78, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A small domestic animal farm with a cafe. €5.
- Planes. In the south of the municipality, at the border with Vantaa, there's a popular place for watching and hearing airplanes landing on Helsinki-Vantaa International Airport. Leave freeway 45 at the Korso exit, drive westwards to the Lemminkäinen cement factory. Leave your car by the side of the road and walk up the hill. Here the planes fly almost right above your head before they touch down on the runway.
A few kilometres north, in present-day Järvenpää, you can visit Ainola, the long-time home of composer Jean Sibelius.
- 1 Weird Antiques, Hämeentie 18 (along highway 45, about 1 km north of Hyrylä). Fridays and Saturdays. Sells (and displays) Americana from jukeboxes to signs and clothing. The shop and the owners are famous in Finland thanks to the reality show Vintage-valtakunta (Vintage realm).