Jump to navigation Jump to search
Tytuvėnai is in Samogitia region of Lithuania.
Tytuvėnai boasts a magnificent monastery. The town has some lakes around and is well-prepared for tourists.
Several buses a day from Šiauliai. The last one back to Šiauliai is at 19:00.
Tytuvėnai is near Kelmė town. You can come from Raseiniai in the south (passing Šiluva on the way), Kelmė in the west, Šiauliai in the north or Radviliškis in the northeast.
The town can be walked on foot, though any type of wheeled means would make it easier to get to the lakes.
- Monastery. In the corridors around the inner yard you can see authentic restored frescoes. The church has an impressive interior. There is a chapel in the center of inner yard.
- Bridvaišis mound. At the lake of the same name southeast of the town. There is a parking and WC nearby.
- Admire the surroundings from the observation tower, which can be found following the road southeast from Bridvaišis mound.
- Take a dip in one of the lakes.
There are some small supermarkets in the center.
- 1 Kamara, ☏ +370 861219790. Inexpensive and decent restaurant with delicious goulash. Try the sweet Kriek beer. Gulasch €2.50, Zeppelin €2.80, beer €1.90.
- Motel Samana, Taikos g. 2 (~1 km from the town center), ☏ +370 427 56249. Good level of comfort. The cafe is closed. Single €29, double €33, quad €45.
There are country house possibilities (i.e. at the lakes). Ask locals - they may help you with contacting the hosts.
- Šiluva - a town just south of Tytuvėnai, one of the main religious centers hosting the church and the chapel (in the place where Saint Mary is said to appear).