Image taken at the heart of Uddevalla, with the tourist information house at left, and Bohusläns museum at right.
Uddevalla is a nice little town, with a river cutting through the city center. The town burnt down more than a few times in the 18th and 19th century, there are but a few old wooden buildings left. Most older buildings date from the beginning of the 20th century.
- 1 Uddevalla Turistcenter, Södra Hamnen 2, ☏ . Off season 10:00-15:00, Jun 10:00-17:00, Jul-mid Aug 08:00-19:00.
There are frequent train connections to Strömstad in the north, Trollhättan (Öxnered) in the east, and Göteborg due south (where you usually want to get off at "Uddevalla centralstation" rather than "Uddevalla östra").
The closest airport Trollhättan THN IATA, about 30 minutes away by car, has flights to Stockholm. Landvetter Airport GOT IATA outside of Gothenburg, about 100 km south of Uddevalla severs domestic and international flights.
- (Västtrafik) handles the local traffic throughout the city.
During the summer, a regular boat line goes through the fjord, visiting various places. See details in Do.
- 1 Bohusläns museum, Museigatan 1 (Very close to the main bus station Kampenhof.), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M 10:00-16:00, Tu-Th 10:00-20:00, F-Su 10:00- 16:00. One of Sweden's most visited museums, exhibits feature Bohuslän’s changing history and the living conditions of its inhabitant. Free.
- 2 The Shell Bank Museum (Skalbanksmuseet), Kurödsvägen 1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Jun-Aug: Tu-Su 11:00 to 17:00. An area of shell banks and a museum dedicated to them. The shell banks were formed around 10,000 to 11,000 years ago, by deposits of shells from millions of shellfish. In some places the layer is up to 20 meters thick. The shell banks are the perfect environment for a variety of lime-loving plants. Free.
- 3 Tureborg. The ruins of a medieval-styled castle, built 1899-1912 by Ture Malmgren, founder of Bohusläningen, a local newspaper. Were ravaged by fire in 1950, but the ruins still stands. The castle were filled with secret tunnels, which later were sealed.
- Villa Elfkullen A large building with a very peculiar design, also built by Ture Malmgren. Open to the public on Sundays July - September. Like the castle, the building is filled with secret compartments.
- 1 Landbadet. Summertime: M-F 09:00-20:00, Sa Su 09:00-18:00. A 50-m long outdoor pool, and fields for soccer and beach volley. Free.
- Skärgårdsbåtarna (The archipelago boats), Södra Hamnen 2, 45142 (Stops for example by the tourist information center, with multiple stops along the coast), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Almost hourly 10:00 - 19:00 during summer. Example price: 40 kr to/from tourist information and Gustafsberg or Lindesnäs.
- 2 Strandpromenaden (The Boardwalk), Oljehamnsvägen, 451 43. 24. A scenic walkway by the south scores of the fjord Byfjorden. You may start by the tourist information center at Södra Hamnen 2. The main route begins 2 km away, at the end of Oljehamnsvägen. The walkway reaches Landbadet (see below) after about 1.5 km, and STF Vandrarhem Gustafsberg (see Sleep). It reaches the Lindesnäs beach after further 1.5 km. Free.
- Kungsgatan, 45130. The main shopping street in the town center.
- 1 Torp Köpcentrum, Herrestads Torp 212, 45176 (7 km (4 miles) west from the town center), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Generally M-F 10:00-20:00, Sa Su 10:00-18:00. Detailed times at http://www.torp.se/oppettider/. A mall with about 70 stores.
- 1 Café Snäckan, Gustafsberg 475, 45191 (In Gustafsberg), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Summertime 11:00 - 22:00.
- 2 Gustafsbergs Badrestaurang, Gustavsberg 465, ☏ . Only open during summer and Christmas.
- 3 Harrys Pub & Restaurang, Kålgårdsbergsgatan 8, ☏ .
- 4 Kerstin på torget, Kungstorget 1, ☏ . A family owned restaurant with a large terrass.
- 5 Villa Lindesnäs, Lindesnäs 745, 45191 (Along Strandpromenaden (see Do)), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mon-Fri 12.00-16.00 and 17.00-"late", Sat 12.00-"late", Sun 12.00-19.00. Pretty expensive restaurant..
- 1 Unda camping, 45194, ☏ . 400 spots, 6 cabins. Good beaches, a nearby nature reserve, several activities during the summer. Open the entire year.
- 2 Gustafsbergs Badhotell och Vandrarhem, Gustavsberg 467, ☏ . Hostel by the sea in Gustafsberg. Formerly the greater temperated bath house. Located 6 km along the boardwalk.
- 3 Bohusgården Hotell & Konferens, Nordens väg 6, 451 43 (Above the boardwalk), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 16:00-21:00, check-out: 07:00-10:00. This hotel has a restaurant, gym, a swimming pool, a sauna and an outdoor heated tub. 961 SEK.
- Göteborg, the second largest city in Sweden, is not far.
- Tanum in northern Bohuslän is renowned for their UNESCO World Heritage-rock carvings.
|Routes through Uddevalla|
|Oslo ← Tanum ←||N S||→ Kungälv → Gothenburg|