Ulldecona is a municipality in the district of Montsiā that includes the cores El Castell, La Miliana, Sant Joan del Pas, Els Valentins and Les Ventalles. It is in the south of Catalonia forming the southern boundary of the Principality of Valencia. The estimated population in 2013 is 7, 445 inhabitants. It has an important historical heritage that dates back to cave paintings (6000 BCE), Iberian remains, olive trees, Roman roads, medieval buildings, and neoclassical and modernist buildings.
Ulldecona is in the region of Montsiā, in southern Catalonia, in the middle of two large buttresses such as the Sierra del Montsiā east and west Serra de Godall. The municipality also has five more villages: El Barri Castell, Sant Joan del Pas, Els Valentins, La Miliana and Les Ventalles. GPS: 40 ° 35 '49.71 "N 0 ° 26' 49.61" E
Ulldecona has a Mediterranean climate. In winter temperatures are relatively mild for the day, cool and moist overnight. In summer the heat is strong and wet.
After the Christian reconquest, Ulldecona castle was held by the family of Montcada, forming part of the term of Tortosa. The difficulties in the task of recruitment made in 1173, Guillem de Montcada ceded the castle to the Knights Hospitallers. The grant was confirmed in 1178 by King Alfons I d'Aragó and included parts of the current terms of Alcanar, Freginals and La Senia.
The castle was in the border area with the Saracens so suffered continuous attacks. Unable to defend, the hospital in 1191 the castle returned to the Montcada, but reserved the manor. The castle was expanded with the construction of a circular base tower, designed to protect the primitive installed in the core population known as Ulldecona Vella (Old Ulldecona).
In 1122, once the danger of Muslim attacks, the castle returned to the hospital as it was not necessary the presence of Montcada as defenders of the square. In 1227 there was established the hospital administration, led by Ramon de Cervera. This administration, management also known as Tortosa, held office until the nineteenth century
The early inhabitants were located near the area of protection of the castle, in a mountainous area that prevented its expansion. In 1274 they were granted permission to move to a mile, in the valley, and to establish there a new kernel under the name d'Ulldecona Sant Lluc (Saint Luke Ulldecona), origin of the current municipality.
In 1463 and 1465, the town was besieged by the troops of Joan II de Aragó since Ulldecona remained faithful to the Provincial Catalan. During the War of Spanish Succession was retained felipistas troops since 1708 so there were no clashes featured. The city was occupied by French troops from July 1810-1813 during the Spanish War of Independence.
In the area Godall saw the highest concentration was found Levantine art Paintings cove, the cultural event of the last hunter-gatherers (between 10000-6500 years ago). These are 14 shelters with more than 400 figures forming complex hunting scenes, some of them in exceptional condition. There are also remains of Iberian culture ilercavona with 4 villages, including The Ferradura, The Cogula and Les Esquarterades
The old castle are preserved round tower defense tower and the former palace of the hospital. The latter has a rectangular base, built of stone ground. The assembly also includes the old church of Mare de Deu dels Angels. This is a late Romanesque building, nave with barrel vault ceiling. Recent excavations and restoration have discovered the importance of the military site since the time of the Emirate of s. VIII to the end of the Middle Ages. Ulldecona parish church is dedicated to Sant Lluc. It is a Gothic building with transition elements built between 1373 and 1421. It is a single nave with aisles, covered with a ribbed vault typical Gothic. In the chapel of the Blessed can see decorations made with ceramics from Alzira. The bell tower was rebuilt in 1817.
The building known as the Casa la Comanda still retains the Gothic facade. It was the seat of hospital management and its interior was completely renovated in 1851.
Roser The former convent is home to the town hall. It was inhabited by Dominican monks until 1835.
The Renaissance-style church, a single nave with four side chapels. After the secularization served as the seat of the municipal courts.
The building of the monastery are preserved four of the five original galleries of the cloister.
During Holy Week represents the Passion d'Ulldecona, based on texts by Josep Maria Junyent i Quintana in the Spanish version of Jaume Vidal i Alcover in the Catalan version. Ulldecona The festival takes place in late August.
Highway: – AP-7 (exit 42), a 4 Km de Ulldecona
Local roads: – T-331 Ulldecona – Les Ventalles – Tortosa (más la C-12)
– T-332 Ulldecona – Vinaròs (más la CS332 y la N-238)
– TV-3319 Ulldecona – Sant Juan del Pas – Barri Castell – La Sénia
– TV-3318 Ulldecona – Alcanar
– TV-3322 Barri Castell – Els Valentins.
Local roads: – TV-3313 Ulldecona – Godall – TV-3314 Ulldecona – La Miliana – La Galera (accessible by road from the Senia)
Railway Barcelona - Valencia (RENFE), with the station in town.
Bus Line (HIFE) with stops at places: Catalonia and Sales y Ferré and also in the districts of Ulldecona.
Ulldecona Medieval Castle, is on a small hill called Puig del Castell which is part of the Serra Grossa. This set is located on the left bank Senia, current political-administrative boundary between Catalonia and Valencia. The wide visibility and the great fertility of the land and wealth have assumed that this place has been over time a strategic area of control of the territory from the Iberian era to the Middle Ages
Constructs fortified retains all the inside are: a cylindrical tower of small dimensions, a main tower with a rectangular base that dominates the whole, the courtyard and the church of Santa Maria dels Angels. We also found two lines of wall with traces of Arabic origin and subsequent interventions, remains of two towers or bastions (of Arabic origin) where in one of them, it was surprisingly found in an excavation, a bronze figure representing Christ the King . This piece is unique in all the Ebro region and province of Tarragona and has been dated XIII century by comparison with others of that era.
Currently formulate some interesting tours that let you enjoy a space key to understanding the history and territory over the last 2700 years.
The olive trees are part Ulldecona Natural Heritage. On the family farm in the Puerta Ferré (Partida Del Arion) is to Serra de Godall, with about 200 of the 413 olive trees that are in the game. You can admire 35 copies of monumental olive trees and one of the two trees given monument by the Government of Catalonia we have in our town. All this living natural heritage, forms one of the most distinctive landscapes, historic and emblematic of our territory.
The Ulldecona Paintings were declared World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1998, along with other rock art shelters that make up the Mediterranean Basin on the Iberian Peninsula. This is a total of 14 shelters that make up the largest group of Levantine style rock art throughout Catalonia Thus, for the large number of figures retained (70% of total country Levantine figures) how, in the right been found these.
The first discovery was made on March 31, 1975 the shelter's departure V Chapels. This finding was in charge of the Grup Speleological Ulldecona (GEU). From that moment, and by the Catalan School of Speleology and collaboration Espeleològiques Investigacions Team and the Speleo-Club Sabadell (ECS), there were the discoveries of the other coats. These paintings range from naturalism to the esquematització and dating has been established between a moment "preceràmic" (6000 - 5000 BC) and Bronze Age (between the second and first millennium BC).
The colors are red and black basically. Of the whole must highlight the Hermits Coat And the large number of figures retained, which was recorded up to 170 residues. The scene is hunting, deer being the most common animal, while the human figures are archers are ready for action.
Currently the tours are made to Shelter And, giving the possibility to imagine in situ, the modus vivendi of our ancestors who inhabited 8000 years ago this place unique and privileged what the Sierra de Godall. Guiaje complemented with a visit to the Interpretation Centre of Rock Art from the Hermitage Coats.
Hermitage of the Pietat
Located in a privileged spot what the Sierra de Godall, has bar service, meals on request and hosting service, since the upper units have been converted into Municipal Shelter. Since the same you access to the cave paintings described above.
Church of Sant Lluc
The current Gothic church replaced the XIII century church scaffolding to move people from the Castle to the valley. Its construction began in 1373 and 1421 was consecrated altar. It consists of a single nave divided into four sections and irregular side chapels between buttresses. The return is "creueria" with arches supported on pillars to the walls. It has windows "tracery" and two small rosettes. The access door is "arquivoltada" and is preceded by a porch. The decor is sparse, but the whole is wide and "solemnial". Subsequent building (second half of XVIII century), there are the sacristy and the chapel of the shrine. In the sacristy, barrel back and with very interesting decorations and tiles "vidriades" Baroque conception predominates. The chapel's tabernacle, Greek cross plan and neoclassical spirit, will be restored in 1998 and is chaired by the image of the Pietat, patroness of the villa.
The 1936, during the Civil War, was destroyed Altarpiece of Sant Lluc, polychrome wood and fabrics which were part 16. The fabrics were saved from destruction, but due to the large size were separated from their racks and frames to be transferred to the Convent of the Nuns Agustines. These fabrics are attributed Sarinyena school, Valencian family "retaulistes" and painters active at the end of S. Sixteenth and early s. XVII. Most of these fabrics have been restored and can be seen in the chapel of the sacristy. The most prominent are the Holy Trinity, 300 x 200 cm, The Coronation of Mary, 390 x 330, and the Burial of the Virgin Mary, 392 x 335 cm.
In addition to the Church and the arcaded square, the old town holds numerous stately homes among which the Casa de la comanda, former home of the "comanadors" XV century, a time at which preserved vestiges belong to the façade. On the ground floor highlights the central portal "dovellat" stone, in the central sector there are two shields engraved with the emblems of the Order of the Hospital, in addition to a third above the door that has a phrase undeciphered. Main floor center window geminada interested, a copy of the Castle, as a symbol of power.
Also of note is the recent restored Casa Mossén Domingo Solà, founder of the Social Work Ekumene. Manor house of the century where you can see the equipment used to work the field, for the kitchen, ... Thanks to the contributions of ordinary people. In addition there are a number of popular-baroque mansions (XVII-XVIII centuries) on the streets of the Puríssima and Sant Cristófol with interesting doorways, entrances and "barbacanes".
In a unique charm are the narrow streets of Embut (Roger de Llúria) del Carme la Placeta dels Frares... retaining, among other interesting aspects, bridges between the two facades. There dispersions within and outside the core how historic homes "noucentistes" and modernist, mainly Aribau, La Purísima, Sant Cristòfol Mártir, Sant Lluc y al Passeig de l'Estació.
A large proportion of the old houses are uninhabited. Some are only used as warehouse or garage.
Convent of Sant Domènech
Currently the municipality is located on its premises. Building the transition between the Baroque and neoclassical eighteenth century, a square arranged around a central cloister impressive five arches per band. The year 1991 was made to redesign it to suit administrative needs of the City but the setting was respected and cloister wall was missing a modern metal structure. The facade is a lock rectangular blocks. The door is a framing allindada classicista and above the door is a niche with the image of Sant Lluc Ulldecona pattern.
Currently House of Culture. Just in front of the former Convent de Sant Domènech (Town Hall) are the Casa de la Cultura, modern building that has been restored respecting the old church rectangular Roser of five sections and square apse, side chapels between buttresses to the nave, the section of the ship that touches the apse want to simulate a cruise. On the old heart and extending toward the center of the church has been at the library. The cover is creueria and has topped the pseudocreuer with an interesting metal spherical dome. The door is "dovellada" from arch and belfry is little high and square section. The exterior is complete with pillars and lintels by way of false buttresses and a small garden.
House of the Feligresa
In the square there is a gallery arcade Church, popularly called Pèrxens, from different eras and materials, on which rise dwellings; highlights parishioner House, designed by Cesar Martinell (disciple of Gaudí), the structure and decoration typically modernist. Located on two arches of Tudor art modified profile. It's interesting work of graffiti wall wrought: it represents the Catalan flag framed within a diamond around which are organized unique motifs (bows, tinsel ...).
Church and Convent of the nuns Agustines
Dedicated to Santa Magdalena, rise edge Vinaròs the old portal (now Plaça Sales i Ferré, "La Mera"). Built on a primitive house where the nuns were installed provisionally dated 1724. The foundation must Romuald Simon de Pallares, old comanador Hospital Order. The early church was overthrown 1848, and consecrated the current 1876. Currently there is a community of nuns. Due to the various wars the convent has been unemployed several times. At last they lost what remained of images and files. The church is rectangular apses plant and consists of four sections and barrel vault resting on pilasters with composite capitals.
Municipal Theatre. Eclectic building with a facade that retains the original structure of 1923, when it was built. Highlights include the large balcony "balustrade" and "ledge-entaulament" classically inspired with central ceiling tile "glazed" it reads "Orfeo Montsiā" coral entity par excellence of our villa and founder of the Theatre.
Church de Sant Joan Baptista De Les Ventalles
One of the oldest preserved religious buildings in the region and the most notable of all the smaller churches made by the Temple and the Hospital of the Ebro Lands rectangular with three sections delimited by two segmental arches pointed diaphragm regular. At the first stage, there is a wooden heart. The presbytery has a square end. Outside stands the most important element, the cover stone arch and inscriptions made by the stonemasons.
Hermitage Rhe Lorito I Creu de Terme
Situated on the edge of the village towards Vinaròs, the chapel is dedicated to Verge Maria del Lorito. It is a rectangular building form a square inner room and a porch bounded by three semicircular arches on square pillars and back cover of "creueria" with nerves on consoles. The roof is a four-pronged and has a small "espadanya". No documentary references that may date the time of construction. In 1966 the building will be restored, as it was in an advanced state of degradation. Gothic Cross highlight the sculptural spire and cross. The original cross was destroyed La Mera 1936, but a copy of the Spanish Village of Barcelona allowed the restoration..
Creus de terme
In Ulldecona also cross Lorito there capelleta cross and there at the turn of the road that goes to the chapel. There is also the cross of Les Ventalles, probably the same time as that of the Lorito and which concern mainly the medieval clad figures there to capital. Low category is the cross from the edge of the chapel.
- L'Antic Moli, 977 570 893, 661 535 187 (In the barrels at Ctra El Castell Ulldecona - La Senia, km10), e-mail: email@example.com.
- Cassador, Els Valentins in the Carrer Major, 50, ☎ 977 713 029, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- L'Era (Els Valentins in the Carrer Major, 2), ☎ 977 570 669, e-mail: , 687 email@example.com.
- Gallego, Gothic Avenue El Castell Catalonia, 46, ☎ 977 713 492.
- Marisol, Els Valentins in Carrer Major, 59, ☎ 977 713 736, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Les Moles (On the main road to La Senia, km2), ☎ 977 573 224, e-mail: , 619 006 email@example.com.
- Mont-Mar (Plaça Catalunya, 7), ☎ 977 720 105.
- The Mosset (Calle Vidal i Barraquer, 2), ☎ 977 720 756.
- L'Orfeo (Calle Major, 147), ☎ 977 721 334.
- Cafe Fleca Feliu (Carrer Guifré).
- Catra (Carrer de Guifré).
- Celedoni (In the Carrer Major).
- La Cantina (Cami dels Terres).
- Fabiano (In the Carrer Major).
- Glop's (Carrer de Guifré).
- Lluna (In the Carrer Major).
- Manolo (Carrer del Calvario).
- L'Office (Avinguda Ramon Solomon).
- P-38 (Pol Valldepins, 38), ☎ 977 720 778, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Per Pebrots (on the main road between km 12.600 Vinaròs), ☎ 977 720 679. Bar and restaurant.
- Phoenix (Plaza Catalunya).
- Pizzeria La Masia (In the Carrer del Comte Montemolín).
- Pollera (In the Carrer Major).
- El Pontet (In the Carrer Major).
- Valldepins (Pol Valldepins), ☎ 977 720 834.
- Zen (Carrer de Consuelo Gavaldà).
- Alberg de l'Hermitage, Ctra Tortosa-Ulldecona Km 4, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Hotel Lloc d'Oom, Ctra Ulldecona-la Senia, Km 8 Urbanització Moli de l'Om Barri Castell, ☎ , e-mail: , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CAP Ulldecona, C. Montserrat Roig, 2-4 43550 Ulldecona, Teléfono: 977 72 13 22 / Fax: 977 57 32 98
|This article is significantly based on work which can be found at The Spanish Wikivoyage. A list of authors can be found here.|