Uskovnica (1,140 m), officially a part of the village Srednja vas v Bohinju, 9 km away, is at the edge of Triglav National Park, with views of the mountains above, Lake Bohinj and the southern Julian Alps. It is a well-loved destination for families, retirees, mountain hikers and mountain-bikers.
From Ljubljana (via Jesenice, where you have to change trains) to Bohinjska Bistrica, where you have to take a taxi to Uskovnica.
From Ljubljana to Ribčev Laz (Jezero Bohinj = Lake Bohinj), from where you depend on a taxi.
In summertime take the road from Bled–Rečica–Spodnje Gorje–Zgornje Gorje–Rudno polje; from the biathlon sport resort at Rudno polje the macadam/gravel road takes you down (past the exits for Planina Konjščica, Planina Praprotnica, Planina na Šeh) across the bridge across a deep gorge over the brook Ribnica to Planina Uskovnica. After torrential rains this road could be very rough. At other times take the road Bled–Soteska–Bitnje–Češnjica–Srednja vas v Bohinju, where 9 km of a rather rough macadam/gravel road uphill starts. Leave the car on the parking lot before entering the Alpine meadow; from there the mountain lodge Planinska koča na Uskovnici can be reached within 10 minutes.
Getting around by taxi
- Taxi Andrej Smukavec, Bohinjska Bistrica, GSM: +386 (0)51 819 109
- Taksi Jager: Milan Stare, Srednja vas, GSM: +386 (0)41 676 272, email@example.com
- Taksi Mavrica: Cvetka & Edi ARH, Stara Fužina, GSM: +386 (0)41 672 774, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Taxi Center: GSM: +386 (0)41 624 366
- The old architecture of pasture barns, connected to the way the farmers of Srednja vas dealt with cattle moving from the valley to the meadows, called 'basnga'
- 1 Chapel of St. Mary, the Queen of Peace.
- 2 Partisan monument. The partisan monument is dedicated to the four local victims of WWII – the Germans burnt 150 buildings at Uskovnica and the neighbouring Alpine meadows on November 11, 1944
- 3 Ribnica gorge (670 m altitude, descend 1,2 km in the direction Srednja vas).
- 4 Mostnica waterfall (800 m altitude, desecend 360 m in the valley of Voje, 1 h).
- 5 Konjščica meadow (1427 m altitude, ascend 290 m, 1 hour).
- 6 Hunters' lodge at Pšinc (1 h on foot to the NW from Uskovnica lodge). Follow the marked path towards Vodnikova koča at Velo polje (via Čiprje) and turn right at the spring. In 10 minutes from the spring you reach the unpopulated hunters' cabin. You may return to Uskovnica via forest road which hits the marked path Konjščica-Uskovnica after 20 minutes of walking.
- 7 Rudno polje sports park (1350 m altitude, ascend 200 m to the NE, 1 hour).
- 8 Zajamniki meadow (1280 m altitude, 4,5 km SW, 1 h).
- 9 Bohinj Lake (527 m altitude, descend 5,5 km (600 m alititude), 1 h).
- 10 Mostnica gorge (590 m altitude, N of Stara Fužina, 1 h descend). The valley of Voje, with a waterfall at one end and the brook of Mostnica with its unique waterbed, full of natural stone shapes. At the other end there is the so called Hudičev most (Devil's bridge), which will make you wonder why such a name.
- Cycling – mountain bikes are needed
- Hiking/walking trips to other Alpine meadows Praprotnica, Zajamniki, Konjščica, to the sports centre Rudno polje, to the valley Voje
- Climbing the peaks Viševnik, Debela peč, Mali Draški vrh, Veliki Draški vrh, Ablanca, Tošc
- Swimming in Lake Bohinj and the River Sava
- 1 Jerom homestead. Only in summertime dairy products and eggs are available from the homestead and cheese manufacturing Jerom.
- Other local food products: local cheese mohant, honey, plum brandy, cider, meat products, like salami, smoked sausages.
- Down in the valley at Srednja vas there are a few homey restaurants offering fish, pizzas, Slovenian, continental menus: Gostilna Rupa, Picerija Ema, Gostilna Hrvat.
- At Rudno Polje on the Pokljuka plateau there is a hotel, offering daily menus.
- Before coming to the meadow for a longer stay, provide yourself with staples from the shopping centres in Lesce (Lidl, Hofer, Eurospin) or at Srednja vas, Bohinjska Bistrica, Ribčev Laz and Stara Fužina in Bohinj Valley; small grocer's shops are closed at weekends.
The water of Uskovnica used to be one of the clearest and cleanest in the world. But recently they started bringing the cattle to graze near the water reservoir, so in summertime the water from the troughs and the taps has to be preboiled.
- 1 Planinska koča na Uskovnici, Srednja vas v Bohinju 137, ☏ , (mobile), ✉ email@example.com. The lodge can overnight 46 people plus 28 in the winter room, and the restaurant can sit up to 100 guests.
- 2 Vikend Hladnik (Family retreat in the mountains), Srednja vas v Bohinju 142, 4267 Srednja vas v Bohinju, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. consult Airbnb under Family retreat in the mountains
- 3 Nevenka's cabin (Ideal retreat in the mountains), Srednja vas v Bohinju 160, 4267 Srednja vas v Bohinju, ☏ .
- TRG Laundry Bled, Prešernova cesta 50, 4260 Bled
- Mana self-service laundrette, Koritno 63, 4260 Bled
- Žehta na žeton (Token operated-Laundrette), Bleiweisova cesta 6, 4000 Kranj
Mountains to hike
- 1 Viševnik (2050 m, ascend 900 m altitude, 3 h). The "house mountain".
- 2 Veliki Draški vrh (2240 m, ascend 1100 m, 3 h 30 min).
- 4 Triglav (2864 m, ascend 1800 m, 6 h). The highest Slovene peak. There are mountain lodges on the way up to Triglav (Vodnikov dom, Kredarica, Planika) where you can have a snack, but for overnighting reservations are recommended.