It is the main town of the Vakka-Suomi region, founded in 1617. In the 19th century it was an important ship building and shipping centre. The empire style wooden old town is built according to a plan from 1856. Among the big employers nowadays are Finland's only car factory (currently producing Mercedes-Benz A-Class cars) and a shipyard (building boats and small ships).
- Wooden old town.
- Isokari lighthouse island, see cruises below.
- Katanpää fortress, built 1915–1917, see cruises below.
- Bonk Museum, Siltakatu 2, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A museum chronicling the bizarre story of Bonk Business Inc, a multinational corporation that pioneered anchovy power generation, advanced disinformation systems and localized black holes. There's one small catch – the company doesn't actually exist – but this firmly tongue-in-cheek museum doesn't let that get in the way of a good story. Advance reservations essential. Adult/student/child 5/3.5/2€.
- Car museum, Autotehtaankatu 14, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. daily 11–17, June–July daily 10–18. 10/8/5€.
- [dead link]Mary Ann (sailing ship cruises), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Midsummer to mid-August Thu,Su 10.30–18.00, Fri 13.00–21.00 Isokari, Wed,Sat 10.30–18.00 Katanpää; in July also "pirate cruises" Fri 10.00–12.30. Guided cruises to destinations in the archipelago with a brigantine built 1996 as a replica of a ship active in mid-19th century. 48/24€, pirate cruises 25/13€ (lunch included; child fare for ages 4–12).
- Diana ("water bus" cruises), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Midsummer to mid-August Tue–Sat 11–18, in autumn some bird watching cruises. Guided cruises to destinations in the archipelago (mainly Isokari or Katanpää). The standard cruises include dinner at the yachting club. Advance booking needed. 49/25€ (child fare for ages 4–12).
- Wreck cruises (Hylkyretket), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tue, Thu, Sat. Cruise to wrecked ships in the neighbourhood, arranged by divers but without diving (technical means of viewing the wrecks used instead). Tailored cruises for groups of 8–12 persons. Advance booking needed. 30/25€.
Festivals and concerts
- Karjurock: 13–15 July 2017 . Music festival (date needs updating)
- Crusell week in July–August in honour of clarinettist and composer Bernhard Henrik Crusell. Many concerts.
- Vakka-Suomen Panimo, Pohjoistullikatu 11. In Uusikaupunki the traditions of microbrewing are upheld by the award-winning Vakka-Suomen Panimo, whose products can also be purchased from their shop. Brewery's Prykmestar SavuKataja was chosen as beer of the year at 2009 Helsinki Beer Festival.
- Gasthaus Pooki, Ylinenkatu 21, ☎ . small restaurant with very good food