- 1 Umeå is the county seat and the largest city.
- 2 Vännäs
- 3 Bjurholm
- 4 Nordmaling
- 5 Robertsfors
- 6 Vindeln
- 7 Skellefteå is the county's second city, known for its ice hockey team and its mining industry.
- 8 Byske
- 9 Norsjö
- 10 Åsele (Southern Sámi: Sjeltie), historically administrative centre, huge annual market.
- 11 Lycksele (Southern Sámi: Liksjovvene/Liksjoene, Ume Sámi: Lïkssjuo), the first and still largest inland town.
- 12 Malå (Ume Sámi: Máláge, South Sámi: Maalege)
- 13 Dorotea (South Sámi: Kraapohke)
- 14 Vilhelmina (South Sámi: Vualtjere)
- 15 Storuman (South Sámi: Luspie, Ume Sámi: Lusspie)
- 16 Sorsele(Ume Sámi: Suarssá, South Sámi: Suarsa)
- 1 Hemavan, a secluded ski resort by the largest nature reserve in Sweden, with botanic garden of alpine plants; trailhead to the famous Kungsleden hiking trail
- 2 Tärnaby, a ski resort which has fostered several ski champions
While the coastal Västerbotten province has culturally been part of Sweden since the Middle Ages, Lappland is a traditional homeland of the Sami people. Many settlers from middle Sweden arrived during the early 20th century. Its population is decreasing, except for that of the bustling city of Umeå.
While Sámi language and bondska (archaic Swedish dialects) are spoken by some, everybody speaks Swedish.
Resrobot is a search engine for all public transport in Sweden.
- Umeå airport (UME IATA)
- Skellefteå airport (SFT IATA)
- Hemavan-Tärnaby airport (HMV IATA)
- Lycksele airport (LYC IATA)
- Vilhelmina airport (VHM IATA)
SJ has trains from Stockholm to Umeå.
- From Stockholm or Malmö to Umeå/Skellefteå: road E4.
- From Stockholm or Malmö to Vilhelmina/Storuman/Tärnaby: road E4 to Sundsvall, then road 331.
- From Finland: road E4 from Tornio
- Länstrafiken i Västerbotten has local and regional buses.
The county will be of interest primarily to nature lovers, and hikers will here find quite some wilderness. But the mines of Kiruna or the ice hotel are other points of interest.
- See also: Nordic cuisine
While Umeå has a lively community of vegans and vegetarians, fishing and hunting are pastimes in the countryside.
Nightlife can mainly be found in Umeå, and at the ski resorts.