The Moscow Outskirts include areas from Moscow's 3rd Ring to Moscow Ring Road (MKAD).
- Moscow East areas from Shchelkovskoye shosse to Volgogradskiy prospekt
- Moscow North areas from Leningradskiy prospekt to Shchelkovskoye shosse
- Moscow South areas from Volgogradskiy prospekt to Leninskiy prospekt
- Moscow West areas from Leninskiy prospekt to Leningradskiy prospekt
All airports are out of Central Moscow. See Moscow#By_plane for more detail.
- 1 Belorussky Railway Terminal (Белорусский вокзал), Pl. Tverskoi (пл. Тверской заставы, д.) 7 (Metro: Belorusskaya.). It was opened in 1870 and rebuilt in its current form in 1910-12. Trains to most of Central and Northern Europe. Suburban commuter & Sheremetyevo International Airport by [ttp://aeroexpress.ru/ru Aeroexpress] trains.
- 2 Kazansky Railway Terminal (Каза́нский вокза́л), Komsomolskaya Square (Metro Line 1, Line 5: Komsomolskaya). Southeastern direction. International destinations. Suburban commuter trains.
- 3 Kiyevsky railway station (Киевский вокзал), Square of Europe (M 3, 4, 5: Kiyevskaya), ☏ , toll-free: 800 775 0000. Southwesterly direction. Serves destinations in central and southern Ukraine and southern European destinations. Suburban commuter trains to the Kiyevsky suburban direction. Airport connections to Vnukovo International Airport.
- 4 Kursky Railway Terminal (Ку́рский вокза́л), Kursky station square (M 3,5: Kurskaya, M 10: Chkalovskaya), ☏ , toll-free: 800 775 0000. Southeastern and eastern directions & suburban commuter trains.
- 5 Leningradsky railway station (Ленингра́дский вокза́), Komsomolskaya Square (M 1, 5: Komsomolskaya), toll-free: 800 775 0000. Long distance trains for northwestern and northern destinations. Suburban commuter trains also origin from here.
- 6 Paveletsky station (Павелецкий вокзал), Paveletskaya Square (Metro 2, 5: Paveletskaya), ☏ , toll-free: 800 775 0000. Suburban electric trains. Express electric trains depart to Domodedovo Airport. Southern destinations.
- 7 Rizhsky station (Рижский вокзал), Rizhskaya Square (Рижская пл.) (Metro 6: Rizhskaya), ☏ , toll-free: 800 775 0000. Relatively small; serves only Riga and other Latvian destinations. Suburban commuter trains (elektrichka) going to the Rizhsky suburban direction.
- 8 Savyolovsky Station (Савёловский вокза́л), Savyolovsky station square (Metro 9: Savyolovskaya). Commuter trains only. Intercity bus connections in front of the station.
- 9 Yaroslavsky Railway Terminal (Яросла́вский вокза́л), 5 Komsomolskaya Square, (Metro 1, 5: Komsomolskaya), ☏ , toll-free: 800 775 0000. Serves Rostov Veliki, Sergiev Posad, Yaroslavl, Vologda, but mainly functions as the primary gateway for the Trans-Siberian Railway, serving several destinations in Siberia.
More information here.
See Moscow#By_bus for more detail.
See Moscow#By_ship for more detail.
All lines of the Moscow Metro pass this area. In northern part of this district is the monorail. There are convenient trolley and bus routes. There working all 44 main Moscow tramway lines. See more at Moscow Get around chapter.
10 North River Terminal (Северный речной вокзал) (Leningrad Highway (Ленинградское шоссе), 51). Hourly boat trips.
11 River bus, Novospassky bridge Terminal (Новоспасский Мост) (Proletarskaya Metro 800 m). Depart about once hourly, every day. In the fashion of the Venetian vaporetti - in the warmer months, of course, since the river is ice-bound most winters. The main regular route has 7 stops, from the quay near the Kievsky rail station, downstream through the center, terminating at Novospassky bridge, and back. . The ride is a pleasant diversion on a hot summer day, as you float past the Kremlin walls and under the bridges, but don't rely on it for transportation. Stop at Kievskiy rail station often overcrowd, but south terminal - Novospasskiy Most is empty. 400 руб.
12 River trip on the white yachts, Naberezhnaya Tarasa Shevchenko, 9, (Ukraina Hotel embankment) (M: Krasnopresnenskaya). You can make a trip across the Moskva River on the snow-white yachts of the fleet "Radisson Royal Hotel, Moscow". New yacht-restaurants ("Ferdinand", "Bon Voyage", "Selebrity", "Capella" and "Skarlet") unlike other tourist yachts on the Moskva River do not stop navigation in winter: they can move on ice very smoothly so that the waiter can easily pour champagne in crystal glasses on a table. The huge panoramic windows protect passengers from bad weather and city noise. Typical river trip starts from and takes a cruise with duration of 2.5–3 hours with English/Russian audio guide on board.
- 1 Kuzminskoye Cemetery, Ул. Академика Скрябина, 19. The youngest cemetery in Moscow, where there are a number of Soviet-era figures buried.
- 2 Church of the Ascension (Церковь Вознесения Господня), Andropova (просп. Андропова), 39 (Metro: Kolomenskaya or Kashirskaya, then walk through Kolomenskoye park). Part of a former royal estate situated several kilometers to the southeast of the city center, in Kolomenskoye museum. Built to commemorate the birth of Ivan the Terrible, Kolomenskoye's Church of the Ascension upended the Byzantine style with its wooden conical tower, and proved to be a milestone in the history of Russian ecclesiastical architecture. Since 1994, it has enjoyed a spot on the UNESCO World Heritage list.
- 3 Epiphany Cathedral at Yelokhovo (Богоявленский собор в Елохове), Spartakovskaya ulitsa, 15 (M: Baumanskaya, trolleybus 22, 25, autobus 40, 152), ☏ . The present structure was erected in 1837-1845 to a Neoclassical design by Yevgraph Tyurin.
- 4 Holocaust Memorial Synagogue & Museum (Московская Мемориальная синагога, בית הכנסת לזכר שואה), Kutuzovskiy prospekt (Кутузовский проспект), 53 (on Poklonnaya Hill. - M: Bagrationovskaya 1.5 km N, Filyovskiy park 1.3 km NW, Park Pobedy 1.4 km NE). Su Tu-F 11:00-17:00. Built in 1998 to complement an Orthodox church and a mosque that are also part of the outdoor museum dedicated to Russia's victory in World War II. In the Holocaust Memorial Synagogue there is a hall with a balcony, there are also cabinets of rabbi, rooms of storage of books and lavabo. An exhibition about history of the Jewish people and the Holocaust is in the building. The building is also used as a museum.
- 5 Michael Temple in Troparevo (Храм Архангела Михаила в Тропарёве), Bernadskovo (проспект Вернадского), 90 (M: Yugo-Zapadnaya), ☏ . M-F 07:40 Liturgy, daily 17:00 evening Worship, Su Liturgy Early 6:40, and Late Liturgy 09:40,. The church is a combination of traditional Baroque rural church architecture with unusually richly decorated facade of the temple, constructed in 1693—1701. The temple has a symmetrical composition, consisting of two-colored five domes with apses, refectory and a three-tier belfry. The windows are framed by lush carved architraves, under false gables conducted wide frieze, corners decorated columns with separated semicircles apses. There are a dozen special icons, showing only for a day in May, Jun, Jul or Dec.
- 6 Church of the Intercession at Fili (Це́рковь Покрова́ в Филя́х), Novozavodskaya ulitsa (Новозаводская ул.), 6 (M: Fili 500m SE). A Naryshkin baroque church commissioned by the boyar Lev Naryshkin in his suburban estate Fili; the territory has belonged to City of Moscow since 1935. The church was constructed between 1689 and 1694 in the shape of a Greek cross, with short, rounded annexes. It actually contains two churches: a winter Intercession Church in the basement and a summer, unheated Church of the Saviour Not Made by Hands above it. Restored in 1981, painted pale red, although the original color scheme remains disputed. The earliest layer of paint uncovered by restoration is pale blue; later layers are either yellow or red.
- 7 Church of Saint Nicholas at the Research Institute for Neurosurgery "N.N.Burdenko" (Храм Николая Чудотворца при НИИ нейрохирургии имени Бурденко), Tverskoy district, Ulitsa Fadeeva, 5 (M:Mayakovskaya 0.5 km S, Novoslobodskaya 0.7 km N). 1902. Russian Orthodox
- 8 Church of Saint Nicholas in Khamovniki (Церковь Святителя Николая Чудотворца в Хамовниках), Khamovniki District, Ulitsa Lva Tolstogo (ул. Льва Толстого), 2 (M:Park Kultury 0.5 km N, Frunzenskaya 0.9 km SW), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a late 17th-century parish church of a former weavers sloboda of Moscow. The church is a federal listed memorial building. The church yard occupies a whole block between Leo Tolstoy and Timur Frunze streets and includes a row of small old houses. The church is an example of late Muscovite Baroque that preceded short-lived Naryshkin Baroque of 1690s. It belongs to a numerous class of bonfire temples – church buildings without three internal load-bearing columns, crowned with layers of small circular kokoshnik-type gables, decorated by angels or seraphs.
- 9 Church of the Holy Trinity at the Borisovo Ponds (Храм Троицы в Орехове-Борисове, Храм Живоначальной Троицы на Борисовских прудах), Kashirskoye Shosse, 61A (Каширское шоссе, дом 61а), ✉ email@example.com. The Orthodox church in neo-Byzantine style in the south of Moscow. It was built in 2004 in commemoration of the millennium of the Baptism of Rus. The height of the building (with a cross) is 70 m.
- 10 Andronikov Monastery (Андро́ников монасты́рь, Спа́со-Андро́ников монасты́рь, or Андро́ников Нерукотво́рного Спа́са монасты́р) (Rimskaya, Ploshchad' Ilyicha 0.6 km SE). A former monastery on the left bank of the Yauza River. Consecrated to the Holy Image of Saviour Not Made by Hands and containing the oldest extant building in Moscow. It is home to Andrei Rublev Museum of Old Russian Art, named after the most famous monk of this abbey. The second oldest monument (1504–1506) in the abbey is a spacious refectory, the third largest such structure after those in the Palace of Facets and Joseph-Volotsky Monastery. The adjacent baroque church was commissioned by Eudoxia Lopukhina in 1694 to commemorate the birth of her son, Tsarevich Alexis, and contains a burial vault of the Lopukhin family. Massive 17th-century walls and towers are reminiscent of the period when the monastery defended the eastern approaches against the Moscow Kremlin. In 1795, they started a Neoclassical belltower, one of the tallest in Moscow. This astonishing belfry was destroyed in 1929–1932, and its bricks were subsequently reused in construction of nearby buildings.
- 11 Danilov Monastery (Svyato-Danilov Monastery or Holy Danilov Monastery, Данилов монастырь, Свято-Данилов монастырь), Danilovsky Val, 22 (M: Tulskaya or M: Paveletskaya tram 3, 35, 38, 39 to stop St. Daniel monastery (Свято-Данилов монастырь)), ☏ . M-F 06:00-21:00. This is a monastery on the right bank of the Moskva River. Since 1983, it has functioned as the headquarters of the Russian Orthodox church and the official residence of the Patriarch of Moscow and all the Rus'. Founded in the late 13th century by Alexander Nevsky's son Daniil.
- 12 Donskoy Monastery (Донско́й монасты́рь) (Shabolovskaya 0.7 km NE, Leninskiy Prospekt 1.3 km SW), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The pilgrim center (check here for tours) works daily 09:30-18:00.. A major monastery in Moscow, founded in 1591 in commemoration of Moscow's deliverance from an imminent threat of Khan Kazy-Girey’s invasion. Commanding a highway to the Crimea, the monastery was intended to defend southern approaches to the Moscow Kremlin. - The pilgrims who visit the holy cloister are provided an opportunity of accommodation in the pilgrim’s hotel; donation is 500 руб per day, check-out at 12:00. Established, Boris Godunov personally laid the foundation stone of its cathedral, consecrated in 1593 to the holy image of Our Lady of the Don. It has a single dome crowning three tiers of zakomara. In the 1670s, they added two symmetrical annexes, and a refectory leading to a tented belltower. The New (or the Great) Cathedral, also dedicated to the Virgin of the Don, was started in 1684 as a votive church of Tsarevna Sophia Alekseyevna. For the first time in Moscow, the five domes were arranged according to the four corners of the Earth (as was the Ukrainian custom). The Old Believers felt offended by this and called the cathedral "Antichrist's Altar". Eight tiers of its ornate baroque iconostasis were carved by Kremlin masters in 1688–1698. The iconostasis' central piece is a copy of the Virgin of the Don, as painted in the mid-16th century. The cathedral frescoes are the first in Moscow to be painted by a foreigner, Antonio Claudio in 1782–1785. Later the monastery reshaped in the red-and-white Muscovite baroque style. Eight square and four circular towers with red-blood crowns were put up in 1686–1711. The Holy Gates of the monastery (1693) are topped with the Tikhvin church (1713–1714), noted for its wrought iron grille. A lofty belfry was erected over the western gates from 1730–1753. There are two cemeteries. The monastery’s architectural ensemble survey: to 8 persons – 800 руб (per group), over 8 persons – 100 руб (per person). The Donskoy monastery necropolis: to 8 persons 1200 руб (per group), over 8 persons 150 руб (per person). Patriarch Tikhon in the Donskoy monastery (also visiting a memorial museum): to 8 persons 1200 руб (per group), over 8 persons 150 руб (per person). The Relics of the Donskoy monastery: to 8 persons – 1200 руб (per group), over 8 persons – 150 руб (per person). Patriarch Tikhon’s cell – a place of Holy Hierarch’s dwelling in the Donskoy monastery: to 8 persons – 550 руб (per group), over 8 persons 70 руб (per person).
- 13 Intercession Monastery (Pokrovsky Monastery, Покровский монастырь), Ul. Taganskaya, (ул. Таганская) 58 (walk about 10 minutes to Abelmanovskaya Zastava square or get on transport in that direction from following metro stations: trams from Proletarskaya or Ilyicha Square, trolleybuses from Marksistskaya), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 07:00-20:00, Su 06:00-20:00. A Russian Orthodox convent, in the neighbourhood of Taganka. It has been known since 1635 and long remained a poor monastic abode outside the city proper, neighbouring a large cemetery for commoners. It was a filial monastery of the Zaikonospassky Monastery between 1680 and 1731. Much of the monastery is Neoclassical in design and dates from the early 19th century. The five-domed katholikon was erected in the mid-1850s to Mikhail Bykovsky's Byzantine Revival designs. It is dedicated to the Renewal of the Temple of the Resurrection in Jerusalem. Its popular from the relics of St. Matrona of Moscow, a very popular saint.
- 14 Krutitsy Patriarchal Metochion (Крутицкое Патриаршее подворье), Krutitskaya ulitsa (Крутицкая ул), 13 (Tagansky District, M: Proletarskaya, gates for the public, accessible from Krutitskaya Street or the First Krutitsky Lane), ☏ . Visitors should leave at the end of evening mass. This is an operating ecclesiastical estate of Russian Orthodox Church. The name Krutitsy (pl.), i.e. steep river banks, meant the hills immediately east from Yauza River. Krutitsy Metochion, established in late 13th century. Parts of it: Dormition Cathedral, actually containing two churches. The lower winter church of St. Peter and Paul was completed in 1667-1689. The upper, unheated summer church of Dormition of our Lady, was completed in 1700. The five-domed cathedral is 29 meters from ground level to the base of a cross. It used to be called Little Dormition Cathedral, as if second only to the Dormition Cathedral in Kremlin; Resurrection Church, completed in 1650s on early 16th century foundations; Metropolitan's Chamber, 1655-1670; Metropolitan's Gallery, connecting the Chambers to Cathedral, with gates and the Teremok tower above them, 1693-1694, by architects Osip Startsev and Illarion Kovalyov, with artwork tiles by Stepan Ivanov; Riverside Dormitory, 1719 and a row of small 19th-century wooden houses. Photography only with prior consent of the clergy.
- 15 Nikolo-Perervinsky Monastery (Николо-Перервинский монастырь), Ulitsa Shosseynaya (ул. Шоссейная), 82 (Pechatniki district. Between the Moscow river and the Lublino railroad classification yard. M: Pechatniki than bus 292, 703, 161; or M: Textilschiki than bus 161, 703; minibus № 38М to the stop Nikolo Perervinsky monastir), ☏ . This is the southernmost historical monastery of Moscow. It is dedicated to Saint Nicholas the Miracle-Worker. Its name (from the Russian verb "to interrupt") is explained by the fact that the Moskva River has repeatedly changed its flow at this place. Iver Cathedral (Iverski-sobor, Иверский собор); Gate Church of the Mother of God icon from Tolga (Надвратная церковь Толгской иконы Божией Матери), 1733; Temple of St. Sergius of Radonezh (Храм Преподобного Сергия Радонежского); Nicholas and Assumption Temple (Храм Никольский и Успенский).
- 16 Novodevichy Convent (Новоде́вичий монасты́рь), Novodevichiy proyezd (Новодевичий пр.,), 1 (Metro: Sportivnaya), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 09:00-17:00. Both a convent and a fortress, Novodevichy was built in the early 1500s and has remained nearly intact since the 17th century, making it one of the best preserved historical complexes in Moscow. It's also a UNESCO World Heritage site. The adjacent Novodevichy Cemetery is one of Russia's most famous cemeteries. Famous people buried there include Anton Chekhov, Nikolai Gogol, Konstantin Stanislavski, Vladimir Mayakovsky, Dmitrii Shostakovich, Nikita Khrushchev, Raisa Gorbacheva (the former President's wife), and Boris Yeltsin.
- 17 Cathedral of the Theotokos icon of Smolensk at the New Maidens' Monastery (Собор Смоленской иконы Божией Матери в Новодевичьем монастыре), Khamovniki district, Novodevichiy proyezd, 1 (M: Sportivnaya 0.6 km SE). 1525. Russian Orthodox
- 18 Novospassky Monastery (Novospassky Monastery (New monastery of the Saviour, Новоспасский монастырь), Krestyanskaya ploshchad' (Крестьянская пл.), 10 (M: Krestyanskaya Zastava (Крестьянская застава) 0.6 km E, Proletarskaya 0.6 km E), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. This is one of the fortified monasteries surrounding Moscow from south-east. It was the first monastery to be founded in Moscow in the early 14th century. The Saviour Church was its original katholikon. Upon its removal to the left bank of the Moskva River in 1491, the abbey was renamed the New Saviour, to distinguish it from the older one in the Kremlin. Parts of it: the huge 18th-century bell-tower; the Sheremetev sepulchre in the church of the Sign, the large five-domed katholikon (1645-49) with frescoes by the finest Muscovite painters of the 17th century; The Pokrovsky (Intercession) church at the refectory; The House of Loaf-Giving; a hospital; monks' living quarters and the palace of Patriarch Filaret.
- 19 Memorial Museum of Astronautics (Memorial Museum of Cosmonautics or Memorial Museum of Space Exploration,), Mira (просп. Мира), 111 (near the Monument to the Conquerors of Space in the northeast of the city, M:VDNkH (ВДНХ) or Monorail), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su 11:00-19:00. A museum in Moscow, dedicated to space exploration. The museum contains a wide variety of space-related exhibits and models which explore the history of flight; astronomy; space exploration; space technology; and space in the arts. TThe museum's collection holds approximately 85,000 items.
- 20 Museum of the Moscow Railway (Музей Московской железной дороги), Kozhevnicheskaya ulitsa, 1А (M: Paveletskaya 0.5 km NW, Serpukhovskaya & Dobryninskaya 1.2 km W). W-Su 10:00-19:00. The museum used to be the Museum of Lenin’s funeral train. It still houses exhibits relating to Vladimir Lenin's Funeral train including the 4-6-0 steam locomotive U-127 (Russian Y-127) and Lenin’s funeral van No 1691. It now also houses many artifacts concerning the Moscow Railway and the history of Russian Railways from the beginnings of the railways in Russia to the present day. The collection includes models, displays, documents, photographs, uniforms and items of railway equipment.
- 21 Moskovskiy Transport (Музей Московский Транспорт). 10:00-20:30. Museum established in 2010s, merging collections of vintage cars, Moskvich prototype cars and the Mosgortrans collection of buses.
- 22 Museum of industrial culture (Музей индустриальной культуры) (walk from metro Lublino by street or Kuzminki (longer)). Wide collection of 1960-1990s Soviet things: houseware, toys, badges, phone booth, phones, and so on.
- 23 Poklonnaya Hill (Покло́нная гора́), Western administrative okrug, Plosch. Pobedy (пл. Победы), 3 (M: Park Pobedy 1.0 km (0.62 mi) NE, Bagrationovskaya 1.5 km (0.93 mi) N). Poklonnaya Gora literally "bow-down hill"; metaphorically "Worshipful Submission Hill" is, at 171.5 m (563 ft) one of the highest spots in Moscow. Its two summits used to be separated by the Setun River, until one of the summits was razed in 1987. Since 1936, the area has been part of Moscow and now contains the Victory Park with many tanks and other vehicles used in the Second World War on display. Historically, the hill had great strategic importance, as it commanded the best view of the Russian capital. Its name is derived from the Russian for "to bow down", as everyone approaching the capital from the west was expected to do homage here. In 1812, it was the spot where Napoleon in vain expected the keys to the Kremlin to be brought to him by Russians. Out of the Victory Park, there is the War museum. In the 1960s, this area started to be used as an open-air museum dedicated to the Russian victory over Napoleon. The New Triumphal Arch, erected in wood in 1814 and in marble in 1827, was relocated and reconstructed here in 1968. A loghouse where Kutuzov presided over the Fili conference, where it was decided to abandon Moscow to the enemy, was designated a national monument. The huge panorama "Battle of Borodino" (1910–12) was installed here in 1962. In the 1990s, an obelisk was added with a statue of Nike and a monument of St. George slaying the dragon. The obelisk's height is exactly 141.8 m (465 ft) meters, which is10 cm for every day of the war. A golden-domed Orthodox church was erected on the hilltop in 1993-95, followed by a memorial mosque and the Holocaust Memorial Synagogue. At the 60th V-day celebrations in 2005, there were inaugurated 15 extravagant bronze columns, symbolizing the main fronts and navies of the Red Army during the World War II.
- 24 Museum of the Great Patriotic War (Центральный музей Великой Отечественной войны), Western the administrative okrug, Plosch. Pobedy (Площадь Победы), 3 (M: Park Pobedy 1.0 km (0.62 mi) NE, Bagrationovskaya 1.5 km (0.93 mi) N). Tu-Su 10:00-19:00, Th 10:00-20:00. 1.4 hectares (3.5 acres) permanent collections and 5,500 m2 (59,000 ft²) for temporary exhibits. Near the entry to the museum is the Hall of Commanders, which features a decorative Sword and Shield of Victory and bronze busts of recipients of the Order of Victory, the highest military honor awarded by the Soviet Union. In the center of the museum is the Hall of Glory, a white marble room which features the names of over 11,800 of the recipients of the Hero of the Soviet Union distinction. Below lies the Hall of Remembrance and Sorrow, which honors Soviet people who died in the war. There are exhibits about the war, including dioramas depicting major battles, photographs of wartime activities, weapons and munitions, uniforms, awards, newsreels, letters from the battlefront, and model aircraft. Also there is an electronic "memory book" which attempts to record the name and fate of every Russian soldier who died in World War II. Adults 200 руб; seniors, students 100 руб.
- 25 Garage Center for Contemporary Culture (Центр современной культуры «Гараж»), Krymsky Val,9/45 (in Gorky Park. M: Oktyabrskaya). Garage’s exhibition situated on the Gorky park’s Pionersky Pond
- 26 A. Mireka, Russian harmonic Museum (Музей русской гармоники А.Мирека), Ulitsa 2-ya Tverskaya-Yamskaya (ул. 2-я Тверская-Ямская), 18 (Metro Mayakovskaya (Маяковская)), ☏ . Part of the Museum of History of Moscow
- 27 The Institute of Russian Realist Art (IRRA) (Институт русского реалистического искусства), Derbenevskaya nab. 7. building. 31 (From Paveletskaya metro station Bus routes No. 13, 106, 632, taxi-bus No. 13m from Paveletsky railway station (Paveletskaya metro station, radial line) to the stop “Pervaya Sitsenabivnaya Fabrika”. - Tram No. 35, 38 to the stop “Novospassky Most”), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-Su 11:00–20:00, The ticket office closes at 19:00. The heart of the collection is presented by paintings of Soviet and Russian masters of 20-21st centuries Sergey Gerasimov, Arkady Plastov, Alexander Deineka, Yuri Pimenov, Gely Korzhev, Victor Popkov, Nikolay Andronov, brothers Alexey and Sergey Tkachev, Victor Ivanov. The paintings exposed at IRRA offer a unique opportunity to get acquainted with important stages of the history of Soviet society. Now IRRA’s collection is considered to be one of the best in the world. - IRRA is in one of ancient buildings of Moscow cotton print factory in Zamoskvorechye opposite to the Moscow New-Spassky monastery. After re-planning and restoration of outer walls of the factory building constructed at the end of the 19th century, museum premises have been equipped with the most up-to-date engineering and professional museum storage equipment. Now the equipment of the building meets the advanced standards specified for the largest museums of the world. The exposition of IRRA is available for the visitors from Russia and abroad, who are interested in cultural tradition of national Realist school. Adults 150 руб, students 50 руб.
- 28 Jewish Museum and Tolerance Center (Еврейский музей и центр толерантности, מוזיאון היהדות והסובלנות), Obraztsova st., (Ул. Образцова), 11 (M: Maryina Roshcha, Dostoevsky, Mendeleyevskaya, Novoslobodskaya. Tram № 19,19k), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Su—Tu 12:00—22:00, F 10:00—15:00. This large and engaging museum dedicated to the complex history of Russian Jewry, is thoroughly modern in approach, favouring personal testimony, archival video footage and interactive displays - all translated into Russian and English.
- 29 Moscow Contemporary Art Center Winzavod (Vinzavod Tsentr Sovremennogo Iskusstva, Винзаво́д — центр современного искусства в Москве), Basmanny district, 4-y Syromyatnicheskiy pereulok, 1, Bldg. 6 (M: Chkalovskaya 0.4 km W, Kurskaya 0.5 km NW, Ploshchad' Ilyicha 1.5 km SE), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A modern exhibition centre, opened in 2007. It is in a complex of seven industrial buildings from the late 19th century including the former brewery and wine factory called "Moscow Bavaria".
- 30 Lefortovo History Museum (Музей истории «Лефортово»), Ulitsa Kryukovskaya (ул. Крюковская), 23 (M: Semyonovskaya (Семеновская), then tram 43, 46, 32 to the stop Ukhtomskaya Street (Ухтомская улица) OR M: Aviamotornaya (Авиамоторная), then tram 43, 46, 32, bus 59 to the stop Ukhtomskaya Street OR M: Elektrozavodskaya (Электрозаводская), then bus 59 to the stop Ukhtomskaya street), ☏ . Part of the Museum of History of Moscow
- 31 Moscow House of Photography aka Multimedia Art Museum (Московский дом фотографии / Мультимедиа Арт Музей (МДФ)), Ostozhenka st., 16 (M: Novoslobodskaya 0.2 km S, Mendeleevskaya 0.3 km W mosmetro.ru), ☏ . Tu-Su 12:00—21:00. Its maintains a large collection of old and contemporary Russian photographic masterpieces and also organizes festivals and large scale projects.
- 32 Museum of Calligraphy (Современный музей каллиграфии в России), Luchevoy prosek, 1/5 bld. 2 (M: Sokolniki Park), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-F 12:00—21:00, Sa Su 10:00—19:00. The museum collection includes calligraphy masterpieces from 43 countries - Adults 150 руб; seniors, students 100 руб.
- 33 National Center for Contemporary Art (NCCA) (Государственный центр современного искусства), Zoologicheskaya ulitsa (Зоологическая улица), 13 (M: Barrikadnaya 0.6 km SW), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-Su 12:00-20:00, Th 12:00-21:00. A major museum, exhibition and research organization which primarily aims its efforts at the development of Contemporary Russian Art within the context of the global art process, at the creation and implementation of programs and projects in the sphere of contemporary art, architecture and design both in Russia and beyond its borders.
- 34 S. M. Eisenstein Memorial Museum (Научно-мемориальный кабинет-музей С. М. Эйзенштейна), Arbatski district, Smolenskaya (Смоленская улица), 10., ☏ . A branch of the Cinema museum. The collection include paintings and prints (among them works by Piranesi and Utamaro, Fernand Léger, and Frida Kahlo, Kabuki theater posters and prints of old drawings by Daumier), Mexican, Chinese, Indian, African, Indonesian masks and figurines, Russian wooden sculpture, Gorodetsky splint, vintage, and Vyatka Sergiev Posad toys. The library includes more than 4,000 books now available in four languages.
Estates and palaces
- 35 Izmaylovo Estate (Усадьба Измайлово), Izmaylovsky Park, Alleya Bolshogo Kruga (Aллея Большого Круга), 7? or Gorodok imeni Baumana (городок им. Баумана), 2, Bldg. 14? (Partizanskaya (Партизанская) 0.9 km SW, further trolley-bus №22 to Glavnaya Alleya (Главная аллея) stop), ☏ . Its territory include the Park, spanned 10 km² of the Serebryanka river valley and corresponds. The heart of the estate, the Izmailovo Court of Tsar Alexis, was a wooden palace built on an artificial island - a hill surrounded by man-made ponds. The present-day Court retains two sets of palace gates, a cathedral and a barbican tower built in the 1670s-1680s. Other extant structures of the Court were built by Konstantin Thon and Mikhail Bykovsky in 1839–1859, when the island was converted into an almshouse, and in the 1970s. The Court (but not the interiors of the Court buildings) is freely accessible to the public. There is a small exhibition of 17th-century art in the groundfloor of the barbican tower; the tower periodically houses chamber music concerts. Sights in the Park: The Back Gate (1682) is a fine architectural landmark of the area & also there is the Waterworks (Водокачка) from 17th century. Bridge Tower (Мостовая башня) 1671 – 1679; The Front gate (Передние ворота); the Back gate (Задние ворота); St. Basil's Cathedral (Покровский собор); Ismailovskaya (Mykolaivskaya) military hospice (Измайловская (Николаевская) военная богадельня), 1835; Forged gates (Чугунные ворота) 1852; Forged fountain (Чугунный фонтан) 19th century; Commandant's House (Комендантский дом); North Building almshouses (Северный корпус богадельни).
- 36 Kolomenskoye (Kolomenskiy park), Andropova Avenue (проспект Андропова), 39 (Metro: Kolomenskaya/Kashirskaya (Коломенская/Каширская). From Kolomenskaya take south exit, then after exit from metro station proper in the underground passage turn left, and then right. Upon leaving underground passage continue going straight for about 300 m (along east side of Andropov prospekt) to the entrance. Lack of direction signs may be confusing, ask for directions when needed. From Kashirskaya metro walk along the path in general east-north-east direction to the underground passage under Andropov prospekt, the entrance to the park will be right after it.), ☏ . Tu-Su 10:00 -18:00. This former imperial estate is now a very popular weekend destination for Muscovites. It is a vast collection of churches and other buildings from the 16 and 17th centuries, including some wooden architecture that was transported here by the Soviet government from Karelia. The original wooden palace (tiled as 'an Eighth Wonder of the World') was demolished in 1768, and replaced with a much more modest stone-and-brick structure. - The Moscow Government has completed a full-scale reconstruction in 2010. The rebuilt palace stands approximately 1 km to the south of its original location, in order to preserve the historic foundations. There are 15 Permanent Expositions: Church of the Ascension (Церковь Вознесения Господня); Milestones in the History of Kolomenskoye (Вехи истории Коломенского), about the history of the Kolomenskoye village and its outskirts from 5th – 3rd millennium BC to the beginning of the 20th century; Palace of the Tsar Alexey Mikhailovich (Дворец царя Алексея Михайловича), 17th century; Russian XVII Century Art Treasures, exhibition at the Younger and Middle Tsarevnas’ Tower, Palace of the Tsar Alexey Mikhailovich (Сокровища русского искусства. XVII век.); The Honey Kolomenskoye, exposition at the Bee-keeper’s farm (Медовое Коломенское); Peasant’s Farm (Усадьба коломенского крестьянина); Smith’s Yard at the Ethnographic Centre (Усадьба кузнеца); Falconry at the Tsar Alexey Mikhailovich Courtyard at the Falconry Yard (Соколиная охота царя Алексея Михайловича); Stable yard (Конюшенный двор); Church of Great Martyr St. George the Victorious (Церковь Святого великомученика Георгия Победоносца из Архангельской области), 1685; Tower of Nikolo-Korelsky Monastery (Проездные ворота Николо-Корельского монастыря), 15th century; Tower of Bratsk Stockaded Fort (Башня Братского острога), 1631 on the Angara River; Tower of Sumskoy Stockaded Fort (Моховая башня Сумского острога), what was part of the defense of North Russian maritime country-side (Pomor’ye) from the end of 16th to the beginning of the 18th century.; Water Mill on the Zhuzha River (Водяная мельница на речке Жуже). - Other sights: Church of Our Lady of Kazan, 17th century; Watertower, 17th century; Front gates, 1671–73; Polkovhichyi chambers, 17th century; Prikaznye chambers, 17th century; Sytny yard, 17th century; Back gates, 17th century; Park pavilion, 1825; Park gates, 19th century; Memorial pole from Shaydorovo village, 19th century; Boris stone from Belarus; Polovets stone idol; Chasovoy pole, 17th century; Peter the Great house (18th century) from North Dvina River; Lion's Gates from the Moscow Kremlin (surviving fragments); Oak-trees grove (one of the oldest oaks in Moscow); Golosov Ravine with sacred stones and springs in it; Dyakovo settlement Archeological site - Part of UNESCO World Heritage List Free (the park and museum). There are individual fees for each exhibition.
- 37 Kuskovo, the summer country house and estate of the Sheremetev family (Уса́дьба Куско́во — бывшее имение графов Шереметевых), Ulitsa Yunosti, 2 (M: Ryazansky prospekt (2.2 km SW) + bus 133, 208; or - M: Vykhino + bus 620, route taxi 9M), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Palace, Hermitage, Grotto, Italian and Dutch houses: W-Su 10:00-16:00, American orangery and Park: W-Su 10:00-18:00. Built in the mid-18th century. The palace was designed in the new neoclassical style. The exterior was made of wooden planks, which were plastered and painted in soft pastel colors. The palace looked out onto a court of honor, formed by the palace, the church and the large lake. The six-column portico at the front of the house was designed with a ramp so that carriages with as many as eight horses could come directly to the front door. When the carriage arrived, servants would rush out the front doors and hold the horses while the guests descended. There are twelve large state rooms, and two smaller ensembles of rooms for residential use. The vestibule at the front entrance was walled with plaster painted to resemble marble, with vases in niches designed by Johannes Justus. The Reception Room had both an ornate fireplace, typical for Western Europe, and an oven decorated with colored tiles, traditional in Eastern (including Russia) and Northern Europe, showing the two artistic traditions in Russia at the time. The Tapestry Room was the second reception room. It was decorated with 17th-century Flemish tapestries depicting parks and gardens. Between the tapestries, the windows looked out onto the lake and garden of the estate. The State Bedroom Though it has a bed, the state bedroom was never used as a bedroom, but rather as a formal reception room, to impress the guests with the owner's taste. The Cabinet-Bureau was the personal office of the Count, decorated with Dutch style-oak paneling with carved picture motifs, in the style of Peter the Great. Everyday Bedroom was designed for rest. It had a marble-faced fireplace with inserted paintings by French artists, and portraits of the Sheremetev family. The Dancing Hall or hall of mirrors was the largest and most decorated room in the house, with a painted ceiling and mirror-covered walls in white and gold. The Billiards Room features a large billiards table made in England in the 18th century. The Dining Room The paintings and decoration of the dining room stressed the long history and glory of the Sheremetev family. The Park: created between 1750 and 1780 as a formal Garden à la française, with large ornamental parterres of flowers, carefully trimmed hedges, and alleys which met at either right or diagonal angles, and were ornamented with statues, and lined with either rows of trees trimmed into spheres, large vases; orange trees; or myrtle trees trimmed into cones. Adult/student (RUB) Palace 150/20, Hermitage with exhibition 100/20, Dutch House 50/20, Itallian House 50/20, Grotto 100/20, American Orangery Exhibition Russian Porcelain 150/20, Regular French Park 40/20, Amateur photography/videotaping 100/200, Tickets are on sale and are valid only for the current day.
- 38 Lefortovo Estate (Лефортово), Krasnokazarmennaya Street (Красноказарменная улица), 3 (M: Baumanskaya 1.6 km NW; Aviamotornaya 2.0 km SE; Trams 24, 37, 43, 50; Trolley 24 to Lefortovskiy most (Лефортовский мост)), ☏ . There is а classical summerhouse, a palace, a landscape park (1703) and garden ensembles, 1780s—1810s. The highlight is the Catherine Palace (Екатерининский дворец), 1-y Krasnikursantsky proezd, 3/5; also known as the Golovin Palace. It was Empress Anna (1693–1740) preferred Baroque residence known as Annenhof.
- 39 Nikolay Durasov’s Palace in Lyublino (Музей-усадьба Люблино́), Lyublino District, Letnyaya Street, (Летняя улица), 1-10 (South-Eastern Administrative Okrug, M: Volzhskaya(Волжская), the main entrance to the palace is on its south-eastern side), ✉ email@example.com. Built in the 1680s, for a famous Godunov family and was called Godunovo. Later re-named it Lyublino (after the Russian verb “lyubit’” meaning “to love” or “to like”). Main parts made by Jean-Francois Neufforges, an 18th-century French architect. A broad staircase leads to the two-storey high Round Hall. In the north-western wing of the building the Column Hall. There are other classicism style sights in the Liublino estate: the steward’s house, an outhouse, household premises, a fragment of the palace greenhouse and the stable. An English landscape park was laid out around the palace, on the high hilly river bank. A large pond arranged in the Golyad River bed.
- 40 State Museum-Reserve Tsaritsyno (Государственный историко-архитектурный, художественный и ландшафтный музей-заповедник «Царицыно») (Metro: Tsaritsyno, Orekhovo), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu W Th F 11:00-18:00; Sa 11:00-20:00; Su 11:00-19:00. A beautiful reserve in the southern part of Moscow, its nucleus being the largest palatial ensemble in Russia. Constructed between 1775 and 1796 to be the residence of Catherine the Great, the ensemble was abandoned after her death and turned into ruins during following centuries. A decision had been reached in 1984 to completely restore Tsaritsyno architectural and park ensemble. Majority of the architectural monuments have already undergone restoration, Grand Palace having completed by 2007. Exhibitions and expositions of the museum demonstrate various pages of Tsaritsyno history and rich collections of arts and crafts. Grand Palace and the Bread House adult: 300 руб, greenhouse 100 руб, two greenhouses 180 руб; 3rd Sunday of each month - day free visit.
- 41 Vlakhernskoye-Kuzminki Estate (Уса́дьба Кузьми́нки, Вла́хернское-Кузьми́нки, Ста́рые Кузьми́нк), Kuzminki District, ulitsa Starye Kuzminki, 13/1 (M: Kuzminki 2.0 km NW), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Formerly belonging to the Stroganov and Golitsyn families of the Russian nobility. Today, it is incorporated into Kuzminki-Lyublino historical park. Highlights: - The Manor house was rebuilt several times in the second half of the 18th century. Side wings are connected with the main house by two semi-circular galleries. The manor house burned down in 1916. In the late 1920s, a new building of the Institute of Experimental Veterinary Medicine was built on the spot. The wings of the manor house are operated by the Museum of History of Moscow and exhibit various collections, including those of the Museum of Russian Estate Culture. The Estate Church: The church of the Blachernae Icon of Theotokos is located at the heart of the estate. The first wooden church was built here in 1716 by the Stroganovs in honour of the Blachernae Icon, a Stroganov family patron. The construction of a stone church in the Baroque style began at the end of 1750s. In the 1780s, the church was rebuilt in Neoclassical style. The church has two side altars dedicated to Saints Alexander Nevsky and Sergius of Radonezh; several members of the Golitsyn family are interred at the church. Other sights: Egyptian pavilion, Front yard, Barnyard, Orangery, Hospital, Propylaeum, Caverns, House on the dam, Music Pavilion, Stables, Vanny house, Kuzminska ponds, French park, Spring in the park Kuz'minki
- 42 Manor Princes Golitsyn, Servant Wing (Музей русской усадебной культуры «Усадьба князей Голицыных «Влахернское - Кузьминки»), Vlakhernskoe - Kuz'minki, Topolevaya alleya (Тополевая аллея), 6, ☏ . Part of the Museum of History of Moscow
- 43 Manor Princes Golitsyn, Stables & Children's Museum Center (Конный двор, Детский музейный центр), Ulitsa Starye Kuzminki (ул. Старые Кузьминки) 13-15, South Wing (Metro Ryazan prospect (the last car from the city center) after take bus 29 or minibus 429M to the final stop Park Kuzminki (Парк Кузьминки)), ☏ .
- 44 Orlov Museum of Paleontology (Moscow Paleontological Museum, Палеонтологический музей им. Ю. А. Орлова), Ulitsa Profsoyuznaya (ул. Профсоюзная), 123 (M: Teplyy Stan 0.8 km SW), ☏ . W-Su 10:00-18:00. It contains public exhibits representing almost every type of fossil organism. Adults 250 руб; seniors, students 100 руб.
- 45 State Darwin Museum (Государственный Дарвиновский музей), Vavilova st.(ул. Вавилова), 57/1 (M: Orange line "Akademicheskaya", then a 10min walk; or Metro "Universitet", then trams 39, 14 (tram stop "Ulitsa Dmitriya Ulyanova")), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su 10:00-18:00, Th 13:00-21:00. Closed last Friday of every month. It was the first world's museum of evolution explaining the work of Charles Darwin as a causal explanation of nature. The largest museum of natural science, in Russia, that occupies 3 buildings with the total area more than 20,000 m² with about 400,000 items. The basics building: adult/discount 200 руб/60 руб. Fair Grounds: 100 руб/30 руб. Single ticket to visit the main museum and all exhibitions in the exhibition complex (buildings connected by an underground passage): 260 руб/70 руб. Photo 60 руб.
- 46 Fersman Mineralogical Museum (Минералогический музей им. А. Е. Ферсмана), Yakimanki district, Leninskiy prospekt., 18, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. W-Su 11:00-17:00. One of the largest mineral museums of the world. Its collections include more than 135,000 items. Among them natural crystals, geodes, druzes and other kinds of mineral treasures. - The highlight of collections is the Gems and stone art collection includes among 8000 rough and faceted gemstones, items made of stones. A large part of this section is Russian stone art 18-20th centuries including some thirty items designed by Peter Carl Fabergé, including the last Fabergé egg, the Constellation egg.
- 47 VDNKh (ВДНХ, formerly known as the All-Russia Exhibition Centre), Prospekt Myra (просп. Мира), 119 (M: VDNKh 1.3 km SE, Botanicheskiy Sad 1.8 km N), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A quintessentially Russian experience, this huge and unique trade show/amusement park is one of the main attractions in Moscow's outskirts. Its wide variety of attractions constitute a remarkable mix of Soviet heritage, modern exhibitions and all-ages luna park fun. Established as the All-Union Agricultural Exhibition as early as 1935, the site was expanded and renewed over the decades. Already a major tourist attraction in the heyday of the Soviet Union, the park claims current visitor numbers around 500,000 per weekend following major restorations and renewals. VDNKh now occupies almost 2.5 km², housing some 500 permanent structures. There are countless pavilions, representing some of the most exotic corners of the former USSR and different sciences. There are fairy-tale like fountains, lush parks and wide avenues, but also a Cosmonautics museum, a rocket and a Buran spacecraft. There's a luna park, multiple cinemas and a wide range of festivals. On 26 ha of indoor exhibition space, you'll find anything from street art to highlights of the auto-mobile industry or the science behind the magic in Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. If you're looking for a more active afternoon, try the skate park, the largest adventure park in the country, the ping-pong playground, the equestrian club or one of the many other sports activities. There are plenty of restaurants around, and the park is served by its own stop on the Moscow metro. All of the pavilions were to be constructed from wood. In 1959 the park was renamed, Exhibition of Achievements of the National Economy (Выставка Достижений Народного Хозяйства Vystavka Dostizheniy Narodnovo Khozyaystva) or ВДНХ/VDNKh, & rebuilt. By 1989 the exhibition had 82 pavilions with the exhibition area of 700,000 m². Each pavilion (including the 1939 "regions" example: Leningrad, Armenia, Belarus, Karelia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, North Caucasus, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan) had been dedicated to a particular industry or a field: the Engineering, the Space, the Atomic Energy, the People's Education, the Radioelectronics & the Soviet Culture Pavilion. In 1992, VDNKh was renamed All-Russia Exhibition Centre, but the original name was restored in 2014. Map. Free, with entrance prices for some activities and sights.
- 48 Monument to the Conquerors of Space (Монумент «Покорителям космоса»), Prospekt Mira, 111 (outside the main entry to today's All-Russia Exhibition Centre, M:VDNkH (ВДНХ) or Monorail). Erected in Moscow in 1964 to celebrate achievements of the Soviet people in space exploration. It depicts a starting rocket that rises on its contrail. The monument is 110 m tall, has 77° incline, and is made of titanium cladding. The main part of the monument is a giant obelisk topped by a rocket and resembling in shape the exhaust plume of the rocket. A statue of Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, the precursor of astronautics, is in front of the obelisk. Both sides of the monument base, in their front parts, are decorated with haut- and bas-reliefs depicting men and women of the space program: scientists, engineers, workers, notable figures include a computer programmer holding a punched tape, a cosmonaut wearing a space suit, and Laika, the first space dog.
- 49 Novo-Ryazanskaya Street Avant-garde Garage ("Horseshoe garage", Гараж на Новорязанской улице), Krasnoselsky District, Ulitsa Novoryazanskaya (Новорязанская улица), 27 (near Kazansky Rail Terminal, M: Komsomolskaya 0.8 km). This was designed by Konstantin Melnikov and Vladimir Shukhov (structural engineering) in 1926 and completed in 1929. The main building of this truck garage has a semi-circular form, with service workshops and office in a standalone building between the tips of a "horseshoe". Each of two levels could store 110 trucks and still used as such, and houses Moscow's Fourth Bus Park.
- 50 Ostankino Tower (Останкинская телебашня), Ak. Korolyova St. 15 (Metro station VDNH, trolley bus №13, 69, 73, 36 - "Ulitsa Akademika Korolyova" stop), ✉ email@example.com. 540 m tall, with an observation deck 340 m above ground. 45 levels, tens of ring decks and balconies, more than 70 000 m³ of the total effective volume of space located inside the lower conical basis, ferro-concrete trunk and high-altitude rigging used for equipment and other needs.
- 51 Museum of soviet arcade machines (Музей советских игровых автоматов), Baumanskaya ulitsa 11 (Metro station Baumanskaya), ☏ . M-Th 13:00-21:00, F-Su 13:00-20:00. Great new space full of old Soviet fun. Go hunting, shoot torpedoes, drive cars, check your strength. Price includes 10 15-kopek coins to enjoy the games. It also features a cozy cafe. 300 руб.
- 52 Ostankino Palace and Park (Останкинский дворец и Увеселительный сад), 1-ya Ostankinskaya ulitsa, 5 (in the Moscow's North-East. Ostankino monorail station, trolleybuses and trams from VDNKh metro station (most convinient) or buses and minibuses from Alexeevskaya or Mar'ina Roscha metro stations.), ☏ . A former summer residence and private opera theater of Sheremetev family, that was built several kilometres to the north of Moscow. Ostankino Palace is third-largest wooden building in the world. The main wooden palace, built in 1792-1798 around a theater hall, with adjacent Egyptian and Italian pavilions, a 17th-century Trinity church, and fragments of the old Ostankino park with a replica of Milovzor folly.
- 53 Shukhov Tower (Shukhov radio tower, Шуховская башня), Shabolovskaya Street, 37 (M: Shabolovskaya (Шаболовская)). Not accessible. A broadcasting tower in Moscow designed by Vladimir Shukhov. The 160-metre-high free-standing steel diagrid structure was built in the period 1920–1922.
- 54 Friendship of the Peoples Fountain (Фонтан «Дружба народов СССР»,Фонтаны Всероссийского выставочного центра), Park of Soviet Economic Achievements, now the All-Russian Exhibit Center. The statues represent the Republics of Soviet Union. 1951—1954.
- 55 Colossus Fountain (Фонтан «Колос»), Park of Soviet Economic Achievements, now the All-Russian Exhibit Center.
- Music Fame Fountain (Фонтанный комплекс «Музыка славы»), Ploshschad Slavy (M: Kuzminki). 2005.
- 56 Fountain Youth (Фонтан «Юность», фонтан «Девушка»), Ukrainsky Boulvar, Украинский бульвар (M: Kievskaya). By Alexander Bourganov (2005), official the fountain name is 'girl' (фонтан «Девушка»)
- 57 Bather Fountain-Cascade in Gorky Park (Сход-каскад «Купальщица» ,Центральный Парк Культуры и Отдыха имени Горького), Krimsky Val (Крымский Вал), 9 (Near to Golitsyn Pond), ☏ . About a Woman-swimmer, to jump into the water.
- 58 Europe Fountains (Фонтан «Похищение Европы»), Europe Square (площадь Европы) (M: Kievskaya). A modern abstract steel sculpture by Belgian sculptor Olivier Strebelle was constructed
- 59 Triumphal Arch of Moscow (Моско́вские Триумфа́льные воро́та, Триумфальная арка), Kutuzov Avenue, cca. Ploshchad' Pobedy, 1 (M: Pobedy, Kutuzovskaya). The original was built in 1829-34. The current arch was built to Bove's original designs in 1966-68 in the middle of Kutuzov Avenue, close to the Victory Park. An open space surrounding the arch is known as the Victory Square.
- 60 Central Museum of the Armed Forces (Центральный музей Вооружённых Сил), Meshchansky District, Sovietskoy Armii (ул. Советской Армии), 2 (M: Dostoyevskaya 0.5 km SW, Maryina Roshcha 1.0 km N), ☏ , fax: . W-Su 10:00-17:00. There are the most prominent and important military relics of the Soviet period, creating a record of its military past. In total more than seven hundred thousand individual exhibits are now stored at the museum. The most valuable are displayed in the 25 halls of the main building.
- 1 Aptekarskiy ogorod (Ботанический сад МГУ «Аптекарский огород»), Prospekt Mira, 26 (Metro Prospekt Mira (it even had former name Botanicheskii Sad)/Suharevskaya. From Ring Line exit from Prospekt Mira station, turn left and walk 200 m. After you'll pass the fence of Bryusov house museum, you'll see contemporary glass building (look for Valiano restaurant and flower shop). Turn left to the rampant after birches. The ticket-offices will be beyond glass doors, the entrance to the garden will be even further. On days of sports or other events in Olimpiiskii Sportcomplex as well as on Muslim holidays, a walk from Suharevskaya metro station is less crowded and more recommended. A walk from Kalanchevskaya train station along Groholskii side street is also possible.), ☏ . (approximately) May-Sept 10:00-22:00, Oct-Apr 10:00-17:00. Garden may be closed for 2-3 weeks in April or in other time due to bad weather; for 1-2 weeks in September for gardening works; for day or several hours in case of various events.. One of the few paid-entrance parks in Moscow. Small but very cozy; very carefully maintained; popular for photo sessions on weddings and babies. 100 руб/150 руб after 18:00.
- 2 Bitsevski Park (Bittsevskiy lesopark, Bitsa Park, Битцевский парк, Природно-исторический парк «Битцевский лес»), Balaklavsky Avenue (M: Yasenevo 2.2 km SW, Novoyasenevskaya 1.7 km SW, then walk or Buses 262, 648, 651, 81 trolleybus stop "Bitsevskiy market", then walk), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. This is one of the largest natural parks (forests) in Moscow. The park, traversed by the Chertanovka River and the Bitsa River, sprawls for some 10 km from north to south and covers the area of 2208.4 ha. The park is elongated from the north to the south and is bounded by Balaklavsky Avenue from the north. - The park is home to more than 500 species of plants, including lindens, oaks, and fine firs, some planted in the 19th century. 33 species of mammals and 78 species of birds have been registered in the park. Maps [dead link]
- 3 Botanical Garden of Academy of Sciences (BGAS) (Tsytsin Main Moscow Botanical Garden of Academy of Sciences, Федеральное государственное бюджетное учреждение науки Главный ботанический сад имени Н.В. Цицина Российская Академия Наук (РАН)), ulitsa Botanicheskaya ( Ботаническая ул.), 4 (M: Vladykino (Владыкино) 1.3 km NW, central gate, a walk through newly forming park on Yauza river from metro Bothanicheskii Sad (south exit) - to a back gate, ask for directions or Further trolley 73, bus 24, 85 OR M: VVC or VDNKh(ВВЦ 'ВДНХ'), then trolley 9, 36, 37, 803 to stop 'hotel Ostankino' or a walk from Ostankino monorail station OR bus No.24 from Mar'ina Roscha metro to a gate on Botanicheskaya street.), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Sections: Dendrarium - more than ½ha, Oak forest - with the average age of the trees exceeding 100 years, Rose garden - with twenty thousand rose bushes, Shadow garden, Coastal plants garden, Continuous blossoming garden, Japanese garden, Exhibition of cultivated plants, Natural forest area, Base greenhouse & New greenhouse. It claims to be the largest botanical garden in Europe. Cca. 3.61 km². There are more than 20,000 species of plants coming from various parts of the world. - The borders in between have official VVTs to Gardens gate and a couple of semiofficial paths which are periodically closed - follow people trails to find them. Entrance fee to the BGAS: students / adults / cyclists 30 руб/50 руб/100 руб, to Japanese garden: see there, tö ornamental flowers & plants «Цветочно-декоративные растения»: students/adults 20 руб/100 руб.
- 4 Japanese garden in Botanichesky Sad (Японский сад) (Closest metro is Botanicheskii Sad and entrance to Gardens via a back gate. Routes from Vladykino metro or Botanicheskaya street gate only slightly longer). Small and well-maintained; excellent for making photos. 150 руб/200 руб for workdays/weekends and holidays. 50 руб/80 руб for students and pupils. 10 руб/20 руб for pensioners.
- 5 Moskvarium, Prospekt Mira, 119, Building 23, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. daily 10ː00-22ː00. Some superlatives: The largest Ocean Tank display in all of Europe (almost 10000 m³ of seawater), the deepest Ocean Tank in all of Europe (12.6 m deep), the largest aquarium in Russia, CIS and Eastern Europe, with displays featuring inhabitants and environments representing the oceans, seas and rivers of the world. Passing through acrylic tunnels in the bottom of the ocean tank, visitors will be shown a true underwater world. Tours include across different climatic zones and they will find themselves moving between backgrounds of a submerged rainforest, a shipwreck, a vivid coral reef and fascinating examples of temperate and tropical seas and oceans. Here you will find also a business center; a four-star hotel, with 250 rooms; Leisure Park, include an bowling area, a billiard hall, karaoke rooms, slot machines, restaurants, cafes and a sports-bar; a shopping mall, include retailers of clothing, shoe and accessory boutiques, gift and souvenir shops and children's stores.
- 6 Lebedyansky Ponds (Izmaylovskie Prudy, Измайловские пруды), Eastern Administrative Okrug, Izmaylovo district, Shosse Entuziastov, 47 (M: Novogireevo 2.1 km S). One in the cascade Izmaylovsky ponds in the east of Moscow (Yuzhnoe Izmailovo) in a valley of Serebrianka River on the territory of Izmailovsky Urban Forest Park. Ponds are known from the end of 17th century and Lebedyansky is a largest of them 16ha. The origin of the pond's name is not entirely clear, one of the theories that name originated from Russian word "lebyad'" (Ru - лебедь) swan. The pond's old name is Lebedevski. There are 13 ponds in cascade, Red (Красный), Deer (Олений), Lebedyansky, Terletskiy, Three Sovhoznys and other smaller ones, connected by canals build in the late 17th century and local rivers, Serebryanka, Steklianka and Sosenka. The total area of the ponds is over 4 ha.
- 7 Losiny Ostrov National Park (Moose Island National Park, Национальный парк "Лосиный Остров"), Moskovskaya Koltsevaya Avtomobilnaya Doroga (MKAD) 97-98th km (Moscow Little Ring Railway: Belokamennaya Station. According to current plans, by 2015, should be made available for passenger service. Now (2014) M: VDNkH (метро «ВДНХ») then Buses: 172, 136, 789 and 903, trolley No.76 to Children's Clinic («Детская поликлиника»); further 200 m from the Yaroslavl highway to forest Losiny Ostrov. Then 1 km on the park path to Park Center), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. This is the first national park of Russia. It is the third largest forest in a city in the world. The total area of the national park in 2001 was 116.21 km², forest occupied 83%. Cca. 27% is open for restricted visits along established routes, 26% is open for mass entry. The park occupies the joint of the Meshchera Lowlands and Klin-Dmitrov chine, which is the watershed of the Moskva River and Klyazma River. The most picturesque locality is on the southwest of the park, where the above-floodplain terraces of the Yauza River are clearly expressed with the sufficiently steep slopes to its floodlands. It is possible to observe coniferous forests of taiga shape, broad-leaved forests, birch boskets, grasslands, wetlands of different types, as well as artificially created forests, glades, meadows, and ponds. Excursion Department +7 903 744-58-55, Tours: 2.5-3 hr long
- 8 Gorkiy Park (Metros: Oktyabrskaya, Park Kultury, Frunzenskaya), ☏ (To reserve sports fields and tennis courts), , (To reserve beach sports zones). Easily the most well known of Moscow's many parks, Gorky Park used to be packed with theme park rides, but after undergoing major changes in 2011, it became one of the trendiest places in the city. New cafes, places to stroll, a pétanque cafe, an open-air cinema theatre, free Wi-fi, contemporary public art projects, design fairs and a new cafe policy make Gorky Park one of the most popular places in Moscow. In winter it's a popular place to ice skate and it hosts an ice sculpture competition. Metro: Oktyabrskaya, Park Kultury (it's a walk along the Sadovoye Ring Road from either of them - an easier, downhill stroll from the former, or a more scenic route, over the Krymsky Bridge, from the latter). There are a lot of nice cafes and restaurants there (like Hachapuri with cold tomato soap and traditional Georgian hachapuri with cheese, Dom ribaka, and Lebedinoe ozero). There is a lot of place for relaxing and working and a free open WiFi working through the whole park. You can rent a boat or bicycle. There is an open cinema theater Pioner. You can see the map and event timetable on the official website (Russian). It's almost impossible to find a parking lot nearby on weekend without breaking the parking rules, so it's better to get there by bus of by walk. Bike rent (all unit per hour): deposit 1500 руб and an ID, 1st hour 200 руб, every next hour 100 руб, Electra tandem bike rent: deposit 1500 руб and an ID, 1st 450 руб, every next 200 руб, Electra Schwinn carriage rent: deposit 1000 руб and an ID, 1st 150, Every next 100 руб, scooter rent: deposit 1000 руб and an ID, 1st 50 руб, kids' bike, 1st 150 руб, every next 75 руб, Paddle Boat: deposit 500 руб and an ID, for 2 people 200 руб, paddle boat for 4 people 350 руб, boat rent: deposit 500 руб and an ID, 350 руб, rollerblade rent: deposit 1000 руб and an ID, first 200 руб, every next 100, protection set 50 руб, velomobiles: safety deposit 1500 руб and an ID, for 1 person - 30 min/200 руб RUR, for 2 people - 30 min/300 руб, velomobile for 3 people - 30 min/400 руб. Sports fields: tennis court without coach 700 руб, with coach 1100 руб RUR, ping-pong without coach 150 руб, with coach 600 руб, soccer field 2000 руб, beach volley field 600 руб, beach badminton 600 руб, beach soccer field 3000 руб, beach handball field 1000 руб..
- 9 Neskuchny Garden (Неску́чный сад), Gorkiy Park (Metros: Oktyabrskaya, Park Kultury, Frunzenskaya further minibus to Ulitsa Stasovoy (Улица Стасовой) stop), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 24/7. Literally meaning "not boring" or "merry". A part of the Gorkiy Park. With an area of 40.8 hectares and a former Emperor's residence, created as a result of the integration of three estates in the 18th century, it also contains the Green Theater, one of the largest open amphitheaters in Europe, which can sit 15,000 people. Free.
- 10 Sokolniki Park (Сокольники, Государственное автономное учреждение культуры города Москвы парк культуры и отдыха «Сокольники»), Metro Sokolniki (it is a short walk from metro station to main gate along the alley. North of park is also accessible directly from Malenkovskaya train station or via a walk from Moskva-3 train station from Yaroslavl direction train line). 08:00-23:00,. A popular recreational park, which also hosts an exhibition centre. The place to go to experience the Russian nature without going far away from the center. THIS is the place to experience Shashlik (Russian/Geogeian kebab) at a very low price (compared with other places) they can be found selling under huge tents all over the park. The park has an amusement park for the kids so they don't get bored. For the want to be hunter there are two Tirs bibi gun shooting ranges with only US$1.40 per five shots. If you have a lot of time explore the forest deeper in the park you will find hard-to-find-in-America Birch trees and many people picking mushrooms (a national hobby) if you want to taste real Russian spirit this is the best sample. The area is now infested with many high class hotels , such as Holdiay Inn and others. One might like to try the goring church of the Jesus Christ, adjacent to park.
- 11 Serebryanyy Bor Forest Park (Forest Park Khoroshevskii, Серебряный Бор lit. Silver Pinewood,), North-west Okrug,Khoroshevo-Mnevniki District, Cca. 3-ya Khoroshevskogo Serebryanogo Bora liniya, 76 (M: Oktyabrskoye pole 6.3 km NE, further bus 50 then Minibus 190м to stop Serebryanyy Bor (Серебряный Бор)). This is a large forest park in North-west Moscow, in the bend of the Moskva River, on an artificial island formed Khoroshevskoe channel straightening. Today there are cottages of senior public servants and foreign diplomats. During the Soviet period of two hundred local cottages owned Ministry of the Interior of the Soviet Union - 11 unit, MIA 5 - KGB State Security, an initialism for Komitet gosudarstvennoy bezopasnosti (Russian: Комитет государственной безопасности (КГБ), was the main security agency for the Soviet Union; & 16 units for Mossovet (Моссовет), what was Moscow Soviet of People's Deputies, was the informal name of a parallel, shadow city administration of Moscow, Moscow City Council. - At various times it housed cottages embassy deputies from Argentina, Bulgaria, Japan, France, England, Korea, Lebanon. " Truth" & "Moskovsky Komsomolets" organisations means young communists. Since the late 1990s customers are mainly oligarchs, generals and bureaucrats.
- 12 Tsaritsyno Park (Царицыно (дворцово-парковый ансамбль)) (Tsaritsyno metro station and commuter suburb train station). Tsaritsyno museum and reserve was founded in 1984. More info at Museum cahapter: State Museum-Reserve Tsaritsyno
- 13 Victory Park (Парк Победы) (M: Park Pobedy, on the Dark Blue line). – This massive memorial to WWII was built for the 50-year anniversary of V-E day in 1995. On weekends, it is very popular with newlyweds. There is also a museum to WWII worth visiting if you like military history.
- 14 VDNKh, aka VVTs (ВДНХ) (M 6: VDNKh station or even close from Vystavochnii Centr monorail station. Various other gates are accessible from Ulitsa Eizenshteina or Ulitsa Akademika Koroleva monorail stations). The Russian acronym "VDNKh" stood for "Exhibit of the People's Economic Achievements". It has been since renamed "All-Russian Exhibition Center" ("Vserossiyskiy Vystavochniy Tsentr"). However, it is popularly known by the Soviet abbreviations. Previously this was a massive exhibit of the advances and progress of the USSR. Now it is largely a marketplace for everything from computers to bicycles. However, many of the monuments and fountains here make the area a nice place to stroll. Bicycles and rollerskates rent is available.
- 15 Vlakhernskoye-Kuzminki Estate (Вла́хернское-Кузьми́нки), Kuzminki District. It is incorporated into Kuzminki-Lyublino historical park. More info at Museum chapter Lyublino
- 16 Vorobyovy Gory (Sparrow Hills, Воробьёвы го́ры) (Metro: A walk from either metro Universitet or Vorobyovy Gory. As alternative, trolleybus #7 (only before about 21:30) can also take you from/to Kievskaya, Leninskii prospect or Oktyabrskaya metro). – The best place for a view of Moscow from the ground. Near the main Moscow State University building, there is a popular lookout point where one can see much of the city on clear days.
- 17 CSKA Ice Palace (Ледовый Дворец Спорта ЦСКА), Khodynka Field, Leningradskiy prospekt, 39 (M: Aeroport 0.8 km NW), ☏ (M-Th 10:30-18:00 F 10:30-16:45). Cashiers, the day before match, 12:00-19:00. On game day 12:00-20:30. This is an indoor arena, built in 1964, renovated in 1991 and has 5,600 seats. It hosts ice hockey games of CSKA Moscow. Hockey tickets: 100-2000 руб.
- 18 CSKA Moscow Stadium (Стадион на Третьей Песчаной улице), Khoroshevskiy rayon, 3-ya Peschanaya ulitsa, 2 (Metro Aeroport (yuzhnyy vestibyul') 1.5 km NE, Polezhaevskaya 1.3 km S, Sokol 1.3 km N, Oktyabrskoye Pole 1.4 km W), ✉ email@example.com. This is a multi-use stadium. The stadium was designed with a capacity of 30,000 people. Integral part of it is a skyscraper aimed to resemble the UEFA Cup, first trophy won by a Russian club with CSKA beating Sporting Lisbon in 2005.
- 19 CSKA Universal Sports Hall (Alexander Gomelsky CSKA Universal Sports Hall, Универсальный спортивный комплекс ЦСКА им. А.Я. Гомельского), Leningradskiy Prospekt(Ленинградский просп.), 39, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The seating capacity of the arena is 5,500 people. The arena is named in the honor of the late Alexander Gomelsky, former CSKA coach and honorary president. This is the home of CSKA Moscow Basketball Club, was completed in the year 1979 during the preparations for the 1980 Moscow Summer Olympics A3 sector 100-400 руб to top AP sector 3000-10000 руб.
- 20 Druzhba Multipurpose Arena (Универсальный спортивный зал "Дружба"), Luzhnetskaya naberezhnaya, 24., bldg. 5 (M: Vorobyevy Gory 0.5 km SW, Bus 64, 132, Trolley 79,79к to stop 'Sportzal Druzhba' (Спортзал Дружба),). Part of the Luzhniki Olympic Complex. This is an indoor arena in Moscow, Russia, part of the Luzhniki Sports Complex. It was built in 1979, and the first competition held there was the finals of the 7th USSR Summer Spartakiad. An international sports event for the Eastern bloc countries. This is the home of home venue of WVC Dynamo Moscow Volleyball team.
- 21 Dynamo Sports Palace (Dvorec Sporta Dinamo, Dynamo Palace of Sports, Дворец спорта «Динамо»), Ul. Lavochkina (ул. Лавочкина), 32 (M: Vodniy Stadion, then bus №594 to the stop 'Sports Palace Dinamo' or walk through the park Druzhba 15 min), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Daily 08.00-23.00. This is an indoor sporting arena. Player room renting options. It was built for the 1980 Moscow Summer Olympics and was used as a venue of the handball tournament there. All renting price based per hour. Central Hall RUB7500-8500-20000. Gym Hall (Спортзал) №1 for Volleyball 3500 руб, for Tennis 2200 руб Competitions: 8500 руб. Gym №2 (playing sports, gymnastics, fitness) 4500 руб. Competitions 8500 руб. Gym № 5 1200. Gym (№ 110) 2500 руб. Beach volleyball field 500-1000 руб, Competitions 2000 руб. Playground for beach soccer 2000-3000 руб. A beach tennis field 750 руб, Recreation center 3000 руб..
- 22 VTB Arena former Dynamo Stadium (ВТБ Арена, Стадион «Динамо»), Leningradskiy prospekt, 36 bldg. 6 (M: 'Dinamo' 0.3 km). Closed 2011. Reopen 2017?. This was built in 1928 and was able to hold 36,540 people. It was the home ground for Dynamo Moscow & was one of the venues of the football tournament of the 1980 Summer Olympics. A new stadium will be built in preparation for the 2018 FIFA World Cup and will be named VTB Arena. Estimated cost of VTB US$1.5 billion.
- 23 Eduard Streltsov Stadium, formerly Torpedo Stadium (Спортивный комплекс им. Э. А. Стрельцова (ранее — стадион «Торпедо»), Vostochnaya ulitsa (ул. Восточная, 4А), 4А (M: Avtozavodskaya 1.1 km S), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 07:00-23:00. This multi-purpose stadium is the home ground of Torpedo Moscow FC. Built in 1959. By 1979 the stadium had been completely overhauled. The capacity was enlarged to 16,000 and an under-soil heating system was installed, the first in Russia. The stadium now holds 13,450 people. Eduard Streltsov, was a famous Soviet footballer who played for Torpedo Moscow. There are renting possibilities, Football fields from 22000 руб, Tennis courts 300-800 руб, Basketball field, volleyball field, Sauna max. 8 persons 1100 руб; Fitness Centre, (St. Avtozavodskaya, 21) visit for 45 min , 2nd floor; Swimming Pool, FLC Avtozavodskaya one visit to 45 min 300 руб; Paintball club "Arena" (indoor paintball stadium). Free entrance to the stadium.
- 24 Krylatskoe Sport Palace (Дворец Спорта в Крылатском), Ulitsa Ostrovnaya (ул. Островная), 7 (M: Krylatskoye 2.2 km W), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Cash desk M-Th 09:00-18:00, F 09:00-17:00 Lunchbreak 13:00-14:00. This is an indoor sporting arena with 5,000 seats, opened in 2006. It is the home arena of the MBC Dynamo Moscow basketball team.
- 25 Lokomotiv Stadium former Stalinets (Локомотив стадион), Bolshaya Cherkizovskaya ulitsa(Большая Черкизовская), 125 (M: Cherkizovskaya), ☏ , fax: . This football stadium is the home stadium of Lokomotiv Moscow and was the home ground of the Russian National Team for the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification matches. The stadium was reconstructed in 2002 and holds 30,075 people, all seated.
- 26 Luzhniki Olympic Complex (Олимпийский комплекс «Лужники»), Luzhnetskaya naberezhnaya, 24 (M:Vorobyevy Gory 0.8 km SE, Sportivnaya 1.1 km NE), ☏ . Cash desks: daily 09:00-18:00. Parts: Grand Sports Arena aka Luzhniki Stadium (Большая Спортивная Арена), Small Sport Arena (Малая Спортивная Арена), Luzhniki Palace of Sports (Дворец Спорта), HSS Druzhba Multipurpose Arena (УСЗ Дружба), Olympic Pool (Плавательный бассейн), Sports town (Спортивный Городок), Southern Sport Core (Южное спортивное Ядро), North Sports Core (Северное Спортивное Ядро), Paintballing, Tennis courts, Football field, Beach Volleyball field.
- 27 Luzhniki Palace of Sports, former the Palace of Sports of the Central Lenin Stadium (Дворец спорта Олимпийского комплекса "Лужники"), Khamovniki district, Luzhnetskaya naberezhnaya, 24, bldg. 2 (M: Sportivnaya 1.1 km E). This sports arena is a part of the Luzhniki Sports Complex. Built in 1956, it originally had a spectator capacity of 13,700. In the past it was the host site of the world and European championships in ice hockey, gymnastics, volleyball, basketball, boxing and other sports.
- 28 Megasport Arena, formerly Khodynka Arena (Ledovy dvorets sporta na Khodynskom polye, Дворец спорта «Мегаспо́рт», Ледовый дворец спорта на Ходынском поле), Khodynka avenue (Ходынском бульваре), 3 (Metro Dinamo 1.0 km NE), ☏ , fax: . Cash desks: M-F 08:00-20:00, Sa 12:00-20:00, Su 12:00-21:30. A multi-purpose arena with a maximum capacity of 14,500 people.
- 29 Olympic Pool, formerly Swimming Pool of the Central Lenin Stadium (Плавательный бассейн), Luzhnetskaya naberezhnaya, 24, bldg. 4 (M: Vorobyevy Gory 0.4 km S, Sportivnaya 1.2 km N). This is an aquatics center that is part of the Luzhniki Sports Complex. Opened in 1957 and renovated in 1980. The 10,500-seat venue hosted water polo events at the 1980 Summer Olympics. Parts: 2 outdoor baths (50 and 33 m), 3 covered bath (2 to 25 m and children). One of the largest pools of Russia. - There are also scuba diving and diving akvaerobic, Wellness Center "Aqua Vita", gimnatichesky center and boxing club.
- 30 Olympic Stadium (Olimpiyskiy, Olimpiski or Спорти́вный ко́мплекс Олимпи́йский), Olimpiyskiy prosp. (Олимпийский пр.), 16 (M:Prospekt Mira 0.5 km E), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 06:30-22:00. This is a large indoor arena, built for the 1980 Summer Olympics and, divided into two separated halls, hosted the basketball and boxing events. A part of the Olimpiyskiy Sports Complex, it makes up one architectural ensemble with another venue, constructed at the same time, the swimming pool. The venue is so large, that up to 80,000 people can occupy its space. When smaller indoor sports are held at the venue, such as tennis or basketball, only 1/4 of the floor space is used. Capacity 25,000 (concerts), 22,000 (sports), 35,000 (total). Swimming, pilates, billiard center. Concerts. Swimming Pool at the Olimpiysky Sports Complex is a covered swimming centre. The venue, built for the 1980 Summer Olympics, makes up the Olimpiysky Sports Complex architectural ensemble together with the Olimpiysky Arena. During the Olympics, it hosted the swimming, diving, water polo, and the swimming part of the modern pentathlon events. The venue consists of a 50x25x2.25-m swimming pool, separated by an acoustic partition from the 35x25x6-m diving pool.
- 31 Otkrytie Arena (Spartak Stadium), Tushino, Volokolamskoye shosse, 65/2., bldg. 2 (M: Tushinskaya 1.0 km NW), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Office Krasnopresnenskaya naberezhnaya, 6. - Multi-sports complex will be used for holding: football matches; concerts; competition of all levels in various sports (basketball, volleyball, and so on). Opened in September 2014. The prices for standard football match are approximately 1000-2000 руб.
- 32 Central Moscow Hippodrome (Центральный Московский ипподром), Ul. Begovoy (Беговой улице), 22 (M:Begovaya, Dinamo («Беговая», «Динамо»); Bus 27, Trolley 20, 79, 86, 95 all to stop 'Botkin Hospital' (Больница имени Боткина)), ☏ . Founded in 1834, this is the largest horse racing track in Russia as well as a horse breeding research facility. Trotter testing is performed throughout the year — around 1,000 horses annually. There are Russian and American trotters raised at Russian and Ukrainian stud-farms.
- 33 Natalya Sats Musical Theater (Moscow State Academic Children’s Music Theater Named After Natalya Sats, Московский государственный академический детский музыкальный театр имени Н. И. Сац), prospekt Vernadskogo (проспект Вернадского), 5 (M: Universitet), ☏ , ✉ dmtSats@gmail.com. Cash desks: daily 12:00-14:30, 15:00-16:30, 17:00-19:00. This theater specializing in opera, ballet and dramatic productions for children. The world's first professional theater for children, it is perhaps best known internationally as the birthplace of Sergei Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf.
- 34 Russian Army Theater (Central Academic Theatre of the Russian Army, Центральный академический театр Российской армии (Театр Советской Армии)), Suvorovskaya ploshchad' (Суворовская площадь), 2 (M: Dostoevsky), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Formerly called Red Army Theatre and then The Central House of the Red Army. From 300 руб.
- 35 Obraztsov Puppet Theatre (Театр кукол имени С. В. Образцова), Street Sadovaya-Samotechnaya, 3 (north part of the Garden Ring), ☏ . Winter: box office 11:00-14:30 & 15:30-19:00; performances start at 11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 17:00, 18:00, 19:00. Everything is in Russian and meant for children, but the stories are simple and quite understandable even if you don't understand Russian. There is a small box in front of the building where a puppet appears every hour and does a performance. At noon all of the puppets appear for a short but entertaining appearance. Big hall: Day 250-700 руб, Night: 350-1500 руб. Small hall: 500-600 руб. Chamber hall: 600 руб.
- 1 Izmaylovskiy Market (Pынок Измайловский), Izmaylovskiy Prospekt (Измайловский просп.), 3 (in Izmalylovo Park). Grocery and storage market. But, here can get cheaper souvenirs, although the performing bears at the entrance of the market suggest that it is a tourist trap. Walking out in the middle of a bargaining session will most likely not get you the price you want. Instead insults will be hurled towards you.
- 2 Evropeiskiy shopping mall, Ul. Kievskogo vokzala 2 (M: Kievsky station). Opened in 2006. Eight floors of many international brand-name shops, e.g. Marks and Spencer, Next, Levi's, Calvin Klein, and Swatch can be found here. There is also a multi screen cinema, food gallery, supermarket, opticians, and probably everything else if you care to look for it.
- 3 GOROD - The City mall (Торговый центр «Город», гипермаркет «Ашан), Ryazansky Prospekt (Рязанский просп.), 2 (Metro: Ryazansky Prospekt or Marksistskaya, then trolleybus №63 (add №16 from Marksistskaya) and marshutkas.), ☏ . 10:00-22:00. Huge mall opened in late 2006 in the former territories of Karacharovsky Mechanical Plant. It offers standard range of "everything-consumer-needs", including Auchan hypermarket, fastfoods, boutiques, outlets, cinemas, ice-skating etc. Operated by Auchan group. Consider significant traffic jams caused by the mall and intersection with the Third Ring.
Also see Gorkiy Park.
- Sup-Kafe (СУП-кафе), 1-Ya Brestskaya Ulitsa, 62 (1-я Брестская улица, 62), 62/25, bldg. 3 (M. Belorusskaya), ☏ . More than a dozen of soup varieties.
- Mi Piace Italian restaurant, Ulitsa Chayanova, 22, ☏ . Relatively expensive but quite popular among locals and expatriates working in Moscow.
- Kruzhka beer restaurant. Cheap beer restaurant with numerous locations around the city. beer 65 руб per ½ litre.
- Yan Primus beer restaurant, Osenniy Bul'var, 7, к.1, ☏ . M-F 13:00-00:00; Sa Su 12:00-05:00. Belgian beer restaurant, a rare women-friendly beer place. Offer table games for large companies. Parking; outdoor terrace (open until 23:00; booking required). Other locations around city.
- 1 Moscow Home-hostel, 2-y Neopalimovsky per., 1/12 (m. Park kultury, 10-min walk), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 12:00. Located in the picturesque quiet park zone, 20 minutes walk to the Kremlin. From 550 руб dorm or 2000 руб a double.
- 2 Hotel Cosmos, Prospekt Mira 150 (M: VDNKh), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Standard 2800 руб, Renovated 4350 руб, Junior Suite 6200 руб, Suite 8400 руб, Grand Suite 9200 руб, Apartments 10000 руб.
- Ermitage Pokrovka Hotel, Durasovskiy pereulok, 7 (Chkalovskaya 600 m, Kurskaya 720 m, Kurskaya 800 m, Chistyie Prudy 1.2 km), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. It offers rooms, with cable TV, a mini-bar and a telephone. Some of its amenities are dry cleaning/laundry, high-speed Internet access, and room service. 5600-8000 руб.
- 3 Intourist Kolomenskoye, Kashirskoye shosse, 39b (M: Kashirskaya), ☏ . New hotel (built in late 2000s), near the National Nuclear Research Institute MEPhi and “Dinamo – 2” stadium.
- 4 Hotel Izmailovo Alfa, Izmailovskoe shosse 71a (M: Partizanska), ☏ , fax: . The rooms reveal a panoramic view of the Park and Petrovskii lakes. The property consists of four buildings containing 7,000 to 7,500 rooms, making it the world's largest hotel by number of units. It was built for the 1980 Summer Olympics. It is generally a three-star hotel. 3300-5000 руб.
- 5 Hotel Izmailovo Gamma-Delta (Гостиничный комплекс «Измайлово»), Izmailovskoe shosse 71 (Partizanskaya (Партизанская) metro station), ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 12:00, check-out: after 14:00. On Saturday and Sunday there is a Vernisazh market. This hotel cannot issue visa support documents: make sure you have another way to get your Moscow visa voucher. $102-220.
- 6 Hotel Milan, Shipilovskaya st., 28A (M: Domodedovskaya; interchange of Shipilovskaya Street and Kashirskoye shosse), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 7 Proton Hotel, 22, Novozavodskaya st. (M: Filevskiy Park 1.4 km (0.87 mi) S; M: Bagrationovskaya 1.3 km SE), ☏ . A/C rooms equipped with TV with satellite channels, free high-speed internet access and shower with bathtub. Some of its facilities and services are business center, bar, restaurant, conference room and fitness room/gym. Singke/double Standard Rooms 5200 руб/6000 руб; Jr. Suite 7600 руб/8400 руб, Luxury Rooms 7600 руб/8400 руб; Suites 10000 руб/10800 руб.
- 8 Holiday Inn Express Moscow - Khovrino, an IHG Hotel, Ul. Levoberezhnaya, 12 (M: Rechnoy vokzal, bus 138, 73), ☏ . Located in a wood-park zone, 15min ride both from the international airport “Sheremetievo-2” and the centre. The hotel's accommodation facilities encompass 29 single rooms, 119 two-person and 10 two-room luxe. All of them are nicely furnished with Italian furniture and equipped with satellite TV. Complimentary breakfast. double 3131 руб.
- 9 SunFlower Park, Kirovogradskaya street, 11 (M: Prazhskaya), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 10 Hotel Voskhod (Гостиница "ВОСХОД"), Altuf'yevskoye Shosse (Алтуфьевское шоссе) 2 (M: Vladykino), ☏ . Relatively cheap and modest accommodation in the outskirts of the city. Single 2200-6000 руб; double 2600-6600 руб.
- Radisson Blu Belorusskaya (Рэдиссон), 3-ya Yamskogo Polya ulitsa, 2 (M: Belorusskaya 700 m S), ☏ , fax: , ✉ Reservations.Belorusskaya@Radissonblu.com. Standing out among Moscow hotels, this accommodation provides a central capital city location near the Kremlin and the main thoroughfares to Sheremetyevo International Airport.
- Swissotel Krasnye Holmy, Kosmodamianskaya nab., 52 bld.6 (Paveletskaya, Taganskaya), ☏ , , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. Top notch hotel. A stunning bar on the 34th floor has a complete 360° view of Moscow and the cocktail and wine list is extremely impressive.
Wireless access is fairly common. But according to Russian laws - you need to register (usually by SMS) in order to use public Wi-Fi spots. Also there is free Wi-Fi on Moscow Metro, Moscow Central Circle, trolleybuses, trams and buses, and sometimes even on suburban trains (elektrichki).