Vologda (Во́логда, VOH-log-dah) is a city in Northwestern Russia.
While Vologda is becoming increasingly popular among Russian local tourists, it is still remaining undeservedly undiscovered by international visitors.
During the Orthodox Christmas and the New Year holidays Vologda acts as the major transit point for crowds going to Veliky Ustyug, Russian Ded Moroz (Farther Frost) residence.
Vologda was firstmentioned under year 1147. It was major transit city before St.Petersburg was founded (1703). 1565-1571 Ivan the Terrible proposed Vologda as the new capital of his domain (instead of Moscow).
1 Vologda Airport is not busy at all. There are only three flights a week from Vnukovo (Moscow) and two flights a week from St. Petersburg. Flight time is about 90 minutes from both Moscow and St. Petersburg. Airport is situated 8 km north from city centre, easily reachable by bus or taxi.
With more than 120 pairs of train passing through each day, Vologda gets more rail service than most other cities of this size. It is the largest sorting and transiting for the Northern Railway because it is the only railway that heads north towards the Arctic Ocean to Arkhangelsk. Multiple daily overnight trains to/from Moscow, Saint Petersburg and Arkhangelsk are available.
- 2 Vologda I railway station (Вологда I).
Vologda is 470 km to the north by the road from Moscow. It takes 5-7 hours drive to reach the city depending on traffic. Road conditions are generally good for Russia, excluding the total mess with street navigation when passing Yaroslavl. So, using GPS navigator is recommended.
- 1 Vologda Kremlin (Вологодский кремль).
- 2 Saint Sophia Cathedral (Софийский собор) (Next to the Kremlin). Constructed between 1568-70, it's the oldest standing building in Vologda. It no longer functions as a cathedral but rather as a museum with the exquisite frescos as a highlight.
There's a nice coffee shop near the Tourist Information centre.
On Mira street (улица Мира), fast food and restaurants are not hard to find.
- 1 Atrium Hotel, ul. Gertsena, 27, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. This business-class hotel is centrally located, easily found while driving, and newly built. Rooms are comfortable, 4 stars are claimed, at least 3 stars are really delivered. Free Wi-Fi in rooms and lobby. single 3,400 - 4,600 руб, double 3,800 - 5,000 руб depending on room class.
- 2 [dead link] Angliter, ul. Lermontova, 23, ☏ . The most expensive and probably the only deluxe hotel in the city of Vologda 3,100 - 8,900 руб depending on room.