Valldemossa is a village of 2,000 people (2018) in Mallorca. Valldemossa is a very attractive tourist destination, as it shows early Spanish culture. There are many shops and restaurants to indulge in Spanish culture.It is famous for the landmark Royal Charterhouse of Valldemossa, built at the beginning of the 14th century, when the mystic and philosopher Ramon Llull lived in this area of Majorca.
Since the 19th century, Valldemossa has been promoted internationally as a place of outstanding beauty, largely as a result of the affection of distinguished traveller and cultural writer, the Austrian Archduke Ludwig Salvator.
Valldemossa is on the 210 TIB bus that runs from Palma de Mallorca via Valldemossa and Deià to Soller and Port de Sóller. From Palma the bus runs approximately every hour (except at noon) and takes half an hour (one way: €1.85). There is a bus to and from Sóller only every two hours, from Sóller it takes just under an hour and from Deià half an hour. There's one bus in the afternoon to Andraix at the west end of the island.
It is 26 km from Palma de Mallorca International Airport, which takes half an hour by car.
From Palma you drive about 20 km to Valldemossa on the well-developed and signposted MA-1110 road in 20-25 minutes. At the entrance to the village there is a large parking lot for the countless tourists.
Valldemossa is on the GR 221 long-distance hiking trail ("Ruta de Pedra en Sec - route of the dry stone walls"), which leads over nine stages from Port d'Andratx along the west coast and through the mountains of the Serra de Tramuntana to Pollença.
Valdemossa is small enough for walking.
Chopin and George Sand spent the winter of 1838-9 here in the old monastery. In spite of the beautiful view and general comfort of what is described as a cell, they were not happy and George Sand wrote a book which may well not have led the locals to want them back.
- 1 Charterhouse of Valldemossa (La Cartuja), ☏ . The old monastery with a number of fascinating cells, including one that is an old apothecary, shop. In spite of the high appearance of this building it is possible for wheelchair users to see a lot on the ground floor. €9.50.
- 2 Palau del Rei Sanxo (old palace around the corner). A sumptuous place where recitals of Chopin's music are played regularly - even to an audience of one included in the same ticket as the monastry.
- Real Cartuja Monastery. Charterhouse with church and several museums. 1838/39 residence of the composer Frédéric Chopin and the writer George Sand.
In Valldemossa, you should enjoy the setting in the countryside and the views. However, there are also hikes, cycling, rock climbing, golfing, and horseback riding that is available in the near vicinity.
Events and festivals
There are many spectacular festivals that take place in Valldemossa, including:
- Festes de la Beata: takes place during July 28, celebrates the Patron Saint of Valldemossa. Many parades take place on the streets during this festival.
- Festival of Saint Bartomeu: on 24 August, also celebrates the Patron Saint. There are magnificent performances in the Cloisters of the Monastery.
- Annual Artdemossa: this festival, at the end of July, includes art and performance exhibitions.