Valpolicella is a valley near Verona. It is well known all over the world for its wines: Recioto, ripasso and Amarone. It also offers a number of historical and art related things to see. relevant and interesting villages are: San Pietro Incariano, Fumane, Negrar. All of them are filled with wineries and places to eat, although the wineries are not as accessible to the public as some other world famous wine regions. For example, Negrar, "City of Wine," only has a few places to taste the local wines. Visiting Valpolicella will pay dividends for the wine tourist, but these will not be as easy to realize as in other famous wine cities in Italy like Montalcino or Montepulciano, where tasting rooms are thick on the ground.
Valpolicella is rather close to lake Garda, the biggest lake in Italy.
To get to Valpolicella from Verona, take the ringroad and follow directions to Valpolicella-Trento. From highway A4 Milano Venezia, exit at Verona Sud and follow the quickway in direction Valpolicella-Trento. From Highway A22 Brennero Modena, exit at the Verona Nord gate, and you're almost there, just follow the quickway until it ends.
Don't miss the Palladian Villas in Negrar, Pedemonte and San Pietro in cariano. In Molina, just a few kilometers up Fumane, there is the beautiful Cascate di Molina park, with natural falls and hikes in the nature.
A tour of Valpolicella wineries. Visit the vineyards, cellars, grape drying centers (for the making of the Amarone) and taste Valpolicella wines. Information on: http://www.veronissima.com/sito_inglese/html/wine_ing.htm
There is an outdoor market in Negrar on Mondays. It is a typical Italian weekly market.
Beside wine, Valpolicella offers a wide variety of local food: Monte Veronese: is the typical cheese produced in Verona mountains. It can be fresh or aged Soppressa: the typical salami of Veneto region. Risotto all'Amarone: Risotto made with Valpolicella top wine: the Amarone
If you visit Valpolicella, chances are you are interested in the local wines. If you want to taste wine, be aware that wine tourism in Valpolicella is not as developed as that in other world famous wine regions like Tuscany, Piedmont, or Burgundy. It can be challenging to taste the local wines in Valpolicella. You will need to do some homework in order to find the producers, and it is best to call ahead to arrange tastings. Some famous local wine producers, like Quintarelli, are not open to the public.
Notable local producers of amarone, ripasso, and recioto include Tomasso Bussola (Via Molino Turri 30, Negrar, Telephone: +39 045 750 1740, Fax: +39 045 601 1363), Zenato and Allegrini. Rubinelli Vajol. A little producer is Fratelli Vogadori (Via Vigolo, 16 Negrar Telephone +39 328 94 17 228) here you can always visit the winery and taste the wines. The winery is always available to support tourists to choose a good osteria, or a place where to sleep or to indicate what there is to see in Valpolicella. If you would like to sleep here, near the winery they have and apartment to rent.
To sleep in Valpolicella, you'll have to choose among nice small hotels to family bed & breakfast or winery where they produce the Amarone.
- Acinaticum Valpolicella you can sleep in the rooms in the side of Fratelli Vogadori winery so you can have a wonderful winetasting in the winery and after you can relax enjoying the panorama. It's in Negrar on the Vigolo hill and there is a nice view of the Valpolicella. Amarone, Amarone Forlago, Recioto, Ripasso and Valpolicella are the wines you can taste and buy.
- Agriturismo del Bugiardo Agriturismo del Bugiardo is a Wine Resort close to Verona, in Valpolicella. A 4 star hotel with 20 rooms in typical style and with all the comforts of a great 4 star resort. Pearl of the Agriturismo del Bugiardo are the Wine Cave and the Locanda for high level dinner. A perfect escape just a walk from Verona.
- Hotel Valpolicella International The Hotel Valpolicella is a modern and well equipped 3-star hotel, in the heart of Valpolicella and close the Highway A22. The hotel has 42 comfortable bedrooms, all equipped with TV, air conditioning, telephone, minibar and hairdryer. The Hotel Valpolicella also provides a meeting room, the restaurant and pizzeria.
- Corteforte B&B The farm holidays Corteforte is a bed and breakfast accommodation within a 600-year old fortified farmhouse. The B&B lies on a prestigious wine estate between Verona and Lake Garda. There are 4 magnificent and luxurious double rooms inside an ancient mast, each with a private bathroom and hairdryer, and every room is furnished differently with antiques, TV, and a minibar. There is no air conditioning, but you won't need it, the metre-thick walls keep the rooms cool and fresh. With comfortable vacation accommodation, an excellent restaurant, and the chance to sample and buy fine Valpolicella, Amarone and Recioto wines, this promises a holiday of indulgence and luxury.
- Locanda cà dei maghi The new Locanda Ca' dei Maghi is located in the most attractive area of Valpolicella: Fumane between Verona and Lake Garda. The property overlooks the valley and its yineyards and it is plunged in an atmosphere of tranquillity. All the bedrooms have a private bathroom, minibar, air conditioning and are sound proof. The property is provided of a restaurant that offers you the typical and traditional dishes of the Veneto region.