Veenendaal is a town in Utrecht, with around 63000 inhabitants.
Veenendaal is easily reached by car from the A12 (Utrecht - Arnhem).
If you're coming from Utrecht or Amsterdam you can take the Intercity train to Veenendaal-De Klomp (2x/hour). Alternatively, you can take a regional train (Sprinter) from Utrecht to Veenendaal Centrum (2-4x/hour), which is a 5-minute walk from the city centre.
From Veenendaal-De Klomp bus route 80 or 81 will take you to the city centre in about 10 minutes (direction Wageningen/Driebergen-Zeist, bus stop 'Raadhuisstraat').
The town centre is quite small and thus very walkable on foot. The main streets are blocked off for car traffic, and there's no bike rental in the town centre.
- 1 Oude Kerk (Sint-Salvatorkerk), Markt 9b, ☏ . 9AM - Noon (Tuesdays only). Literally translated to Old Church, this 16th century monument is located at the central square of Veenendaal. It's been restored multiple times and looks beautiful with its wooden roof on the inside, but also a treat to look at on the outside. Free entrance.
- 2 De Nieuwe Molen, Mulderslaan 3, ☏ . 10AM-4PM (Saturdays or on request). Get a tour of this traditional Dutch windmill, which is being maintained by volunteers. The mill still operates and flour is produced and sold every Saturday till 1PM. All proceeds go towards keeping the windmill operational. Free entrance.
- 1 Sport Totaal (Canoe/MTB Rental), De Schutterij 17 (Take bus route 83, get off at busstop 'De Schutterij'.), ☏ . Monday-Friday 8:30AM-5PM, outside opening hours on request. Rent a canoe and travel along the Valleikanaal, an old canal that stretches between Wageningen and Leusden for a total distance of 40km, with pickup possible at many points along the route. Or rent a mountain bike and cross through the forests of the Utrechtse Heuvelrug (Utrecht Hill Ridge). Organized tours for different experience levels are available as well. Canoe rental €17.50 for 4 hours, including transport within Veenendaal. MTB rental €12.00 for 4 hours. Longer durations are possible.
Veenendaal has one long shopping street ('Hoofdstraat') with many small to medium-sized shops and a few cafés. At both ends there are shopping centres (Scheepjeshof and Corridor) with larger national chain stores like V&D and Hema, along with supermarkets and more cafés.
- 1 Het Stadshotel, Fluitersstraat 80, ☏ . €200 for 3 days (minimum stay).
- 2 Hotel Van der Valk, Bastion 73, ☏ . Well known hotel chain. Double room €79/night.
|Routes through Veenendaal|
|The Hague ← Utrecht ←||W E||→ Ede → Arnhem|