Velipoja is a large beach town in northern Albania. It is a highly popular destination during the peak summer season for tourists from Northern Albania, particularly Shkodra, and tourists from Kosovo.
Velipoja Beach is marked by a long and wide fine beach with natural protected areas to the north and south. It is a continuation of Ulqin (Ulcinj) Beach, divided only by the Buna (Bojana) River which marks the border between Albania and Montenegro at this location. Velipoja Beach is divided by the other nearby resort of Shëngjin, Albania, by mountains, and is not directly accessible by land.
A long pedestrian pathway has been constructed.
Velipoja is 30 km from the northern Albania urban center of Shkodra and can be reached by vans (furgons) which cost 200 lek and leave irregularly from downtown Shkoder. There is no fixed time, check around 10:00 or 13:30 what is the situation, potentially you will have to wait another hour before it leaves.
The area is small and navigable on foot.
- 1 Velipoja Nature Reserve (Rezervati Natyror Velipojë) (make a right turn when the national road into Velipoja makes a left just before reaching Velipoja or by heading west on the beach). no access fee.
- 2 Viluni Marsh (Lake) (Këneta e Vilunit) (head east on the beach until you reach the break into the beach). no access fee.
Sunbathing is of course the most popular activity in Velipoja. A pair of sunbathing seats costs 400-500 lek. Further out to west there are beaches which are freely accessible without cost and with few people around.
Organized activities are rather limited. Boat rides to Shengjin are offered.
In high season snacks are offered at the beach. Various other restaurants are offered, with seafood being plentiful.
Numerous bars and cafes are available along the beach. Prices are standard and WiFi is provided.
- 1 Bar 407, Rruga nr,4 in front of Kompleksi Gjoleka Gjoleka Kompleksi, Velipoje 4020 Albania, ☏ . 12:00-00:00.
- Bar Drion, Rruga Nr.5, ☏ .
Various accommodation options are offered, from single family homes to decent quality hotels.
1 Hotel Fishta (in the center of Velipoja). In a central location and with a private beach although the area is crowded and noisy.
2 Hotel Princi i Vogel (make a left on Rruga nr. 4 and continue to the end of the forest). Charming little hotel with 12 studio apartments located in the middle of a pine forest.
- 3 Hotel Lakaj, Velipoje Plazh.