Cannaregio is one six sestieri (districts) that make up Venice. For many travellers, it's the first part of Venice they enter, since Venezia Santa Lucia railway station, the main railway station, is here. Most of the district is residential, with slightly less tourists - and sights - compared to other parts of the city. However, for those interested in the history of Jewish life in Venice, the historic Jewish ghetto is within the district.
- See also: Venice#Getin
- 1 Venezia Santa Lucia railway station, Fondamenta Santa Lucia, 30121. If coming by rail from the mainland, you will arrive here.
- 1 Jewish Ghetto of Venice (Ghetto Ebraico di Venezia). While racial and ethnic neighborhoods had existed prior to the Venetian Ghetto, Venice's ghetto was the first "ghetto" (coming from a Venetian word for the Iron Foundry that was on the site previously) and "ghetto" eventually came to mean any neighborhood that was made up of a single ethnic/racial group. Today, Jewish life is still very active in the ghetto, and elsewhere in Venice, and is home to five synagogues. Visiting on Saturdays or late Fridays (the Jewish Sabbath) will prove very fruitless because all shops, restaurants, and other Jewish places will be closed.
- 2 Jewish Museum (Museo Ebraico di Venezia), Campo di Ghetto Nuovo, 2902B (Vaporetto line 1 and 2 to San Marcuola), ☏ . 1 Jun-30 Sep: 10:00-19:00; 1 Oct-31 May: 10:00-18:00. Closed on Saturday (Shabbat), during Jewish festivities, on 25 Dec, 1 Jan and 1 May. Objects related to the social life of the Jewish community, in two synagogues of the 16th century. Entrance: adults €3, reduced €2. Entrance with guided tours to synagogues: adults €8.50, reduced €7.
- 3 Oratorio dei Crociferi, Campo di Gesuiti, Cannaregio 4905, ☏ . F Sa 10:00-13:00 and 14:00-17:00, otherwise only by reservation. Small oratory facing the old monastery dei Crociferi, painting circle by Palma the Younger. Entrance €3.
- 4 Santa Maria di Nazareth Church (Chiesa di Santa Maria di Nazareth), Cannaregio, 54, ☏ . Also known as Church of the Scalzi (Chiesa degli Scalzi), being the seat in the city of the Discalced Carmelites religious order (scalzi in Italian means "barefoot"). Built in the mid 17th century to the designs of Baldassarre Longhena and completed in the last decades of that century.
- 5 Madonna dell'Orto Church, Cannaregio, 3512. With the grave and 10 paintings of Tintoretto
- 6 San Giobbe Church, Campo San Giobbe.
- 7 I Gesuiti (Chiesa dei Gesuiti), Salizada dei Spechieri, 4877, ☏ . Summer 10:00-12:00, 17:00-19:00, winter 10:00-12:00, 16:00-18:00, closed Su afternoon. Also known as Church of Santa Maria Assunta, the current structure dates back to 1729.
- 8 Scuola dell'Angelo Custode, Campo S.S. Apostoli, 4448. The only Lutheran church in Venice.
- 9 San Michele Cemetery (Cimitero di San Michele), Isola di San Michele (Vaporetto line 4.1-4.2), ☏ . Apr-Sep: 07:30-18:00; Oct-Mar: 07:30-16:30. Cemetery established following Napoleon Bonaparte's edict of 1804, part of the European circuit of monumental cemeteries. The Russian ballet director Sergei Diaghilev, the Austrian physicist Christan Doppler, the American poet Ezra Pound, the Russian composer Igor Stravinsky and the German-Italian composer Ermanno Wolf-Ferrari are buried in San Michele Cemetery.
- 1 Venice Casino (Casinò di Venezia), Cannaregio, 2040 (in the palace Ca' Vendramin Calergi). The oldest gambling house in the world, founded in 1638. The building dates back to the 15th century. Entrance €10, free if you are booked at selected hotels.
- 2 Orsoni Furnace, Cannaregio, 1045, ☏ . One of the last industries left in Venice, the Orsoni Furnace produces fine glass panels and mosaics using the same technique since 1888. The small factory can only be visited on certain dates.
- 1 Crepes House by PePe, Fondamenta S. Giobbe, 549. Savory and sweet crepes
- 2 Birreria Zanon, Fondamenta dei Ormesini, 2735.
- 3 Pizzeria Da Zorma, Fondamenta dei Ormesini, 2712.
- 4 Ae Bricoe, Fondamenta dei Ormesini, 2684.
- 5 Puppa Bar Venezia, Calle dello Spezier, 4800.
- 6 Al Timon, Fondamenta dei Ormesini, 2754, ☏ . Warm and local atmosphere in this little osteria where they serve great Italian vintages by the glass. If you're adventurous, try their tasty tripe. Good music inside, some table by the canal in the summer. Reservations on evenings is essential.
- 7 Hostaria Bacanera, Campiello de la Cason, 4506.
- 8 El Magazen, Calle Larga Giacinto Gallina, 5402.
- 9 Osteria Da Poggi, Rio Terà de la Maddalena, 2103.
- 10 La Colombina, Sestiere Cannaregio, 1828. Artfully presented Venetian cuisine
- 11 Trattoria Alla Fontana, Fondamenta Cannaregio, 1102. Warm canalside restaurant
- 12 Ristorante Casa Bonita, Cannaregio, 492. Generous portions of pasta and seafood
- 1 Vino Vero, Fondamenta Misericordia, 2497, ☏ . Small wine bar with excellent selection, away from the tourist crowds. Outdoor seating next to one of the canals.
- 2 Al Parlamento, Cannaregio, 511 (Cannaregio canal, not far from the train station), ☏ . Another small bar, away from the main tourist arteries. Serves spritz, cocktails and beer with a view of the Cannaregio canal. €6 for cocktails.
There's a small cluster of hotels in the alleys next to the railway station which is sightly cheaper compared to other parts of the city.
- 1 Bed and Breakfast Ca'Dor, ☏ . Venetian style rooms in the centre, 3 minutes from Rialto's Bridge. Rooms about €55 in low-season, €100 in high season.
- 2 Alloggi Agli Artisti, Calle Priuli Cavalletti, Cannaregio 99 (150 m away from the main railway station (Santa Lucia)). Guests can choose between rooms with bathroom en suite (with hairdryer), and rooms with sharing bathroom on the floor (cheaper). From €50 to €90 for a double room, depending on the season.
- 3 Antica Casa Carettoni Venice, Lista di Spagna, Cannaregio 130, ☏ , fax: . Close to Santa Lucia Train Station and the waterbus stops. 3 star hotel in an old convent offers accommodation starting at around €120-130 for a double room.
- 4 [dead link] Ca' Amadi, Cannaregio 5815, ☏ , fax: . In the old town centre, close to the famous Rialto Bridge. This 13th-century palace was once home to Marco Polo. Décor is keeping with the period, and the rooms are utterly charming. Original wall frescoes from the 1400s adorn the hotel.
- 5 Continental Hotel Venice, Lista di Spagna, Cannaregio 166, ☏ , fax: . Three-star hotel in the Jewish Ghetto. A historic building belonged to a noble family, with 93 bedrooms (€95-194) capable to host any kind of guests.
- 6 Ca' Gottardi, Cannaregio 2283, ☏ , fax: . Antico Palazzo Gottardi stands in Strada Nuova, between two buildings that look down onto the Canal Grande. Double from €120.
- 7 Hotel Cà D'Oro, Calle delle Rasse, Castello 4604, ☏ , fax: . The hotel is in a quiet corner of Cannaregio district, 5 minutes walk from the Rialto Bridge. Singles from €60, doubles from €80.
- 8 Hotel il Mercante di Venezia, Calle della Misericordia, Cannaregio 379-381, ☏ , fax: . Just off the Lista di Spagna by the Grand Canal, excellent access to the Station (Santa Lucia) and the waterbuses. Delicately appointed rooms from around €145.
- 9 Hotel Nazionale Venice, Lista di Spagna, Cannaregio 158, ☏ , fax: . Three-star accommodation with 90 bedrooms divided in single, double, twin, triple and family, 100 metres away from the train station of Santa Lucia. €80 for a single and €160 for a family.
- 10 Palazzo Cendon - Il Piano Nobile, Call Cendon, Cannaregio 532 (From the train station turn left before Ponte delle Guglie), ☏ . Nice small hotel in good area with a few restaurants and bars. €130.
- 11 Hotel Giorgione, Calle Larga dei Proverbi, Cannaregio 4587, ☏ , fax: . In the centre, 10 minutes from Piazza San Marco, it was transformed into a hotel at the beginning of the 19th century and has been managed by the same family ever since. Singles from €105, Doubles from €150.