Jump to navigation Jump to search
Dorsoduro is one of six sestieri (districts) that make up historic Venice.
- 1 San Basilio Ferry Terminal.
- 1 I Gesuati (Santa Maria del Rosario), Fondamenta Zattere Ai Gesuati, ☏ . 08:00-12:00, 17:00-19:00. 18th-century Dominican church on the Giudecca canal. The classical style building has a well-lit interior and is exceptional in preserving its original layout and Rococo decoration intact. The church and almost all its sculpture and paintings were created within a thirty-year period: construction began in 1725, the church was consecrated in 1743, and the last sculptural decoration was in place by 1755.
- 2 Church of Saint Sebastian (Chiesa di San Sebastiano). 16th-century Roman Catholic church, houses a cycle of paintings by the artist Paolo Veronese as well as paintings by Tintoretto and Titian.
- 3 Santa Maria del Carmelo church (Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Carmini). Large 14th century Roman Catholic church.
- 4 San Nicolò dei Mendicoli church (Chiesa di San Nicolò dei Mendicoli).
- 5 Punta della Dogana, Dorsuduro 2 (On the tip between Grand Canal and Giudecca Canal, vaporetto line 1 to Salute), ☏ . W-M 10:00 to 19:00, closed Tu and Dec 24. Former customs house, centre for contemporary art, permanent exhibition of works from the François Pinault Collection. Renovation by world renowned architect Tadao Ando. Entrance €15, reduced €10.
- 6 Ca' Rezzonico - Museum of 18th Century Venice (Musei del Settecento Veneziano), Dorsoduro 3136 (Vaporetto line 1 to Ca' Rezzonico), ☏ . Nov-Mar: 10:00-17:00, Apr-Oct: 10:00-18:00; closed Dec 25, Jan 1, May 1. Museum of the 18th century in Venice - attempts to revive the domestic atmosphere of Venetian nobilities. Furniture, interior decoration, paintings by Guardi, Canaletto, Tiepolo. On the third floor important paintings of the Venetian school. A MUVE museum. Entrance Adults €8, reduced €5.50.
- 7 Gallerie dell'Accademia, Campo della Carità, 1050 (Vaporetto line 1 or 2 to Accademia). M 08:15-14:00, Tu-Su 08:15-19:15 (ticket office closes 1 hr before). Venice's most significant art museum which is also one of Italy's best. Among the most important paintings in the Accademia are: Gentile Bellini: Procession on St. Mark’s Square (1496) and Miracle of the Cross at the Bridge of S. Lorenzo (1500), Giovanni Bellini: Pieta (1500), Jacopo Bellini: Madonna with Child and Cherubs (ca. 1450), Paris Bordenone: A fisherman presents the ring of St. Mark to the doge (ca. 1535), Vittore Carpaccio: Legend of Saint Ursula (1490-1498), Cima da Conegliano: The Holy Virgin under the Orange Tree (ca. 1496), Giorgione (1477-1510): The Tempest and La Vecchia ("The Old Woman"), Andrea Mantegna (1431-1506): St. George, Veronese Paolo (1528-1588): The Feast in the House of Levi (1573), Tintoretto: The Miracles of St. Mark (1548), and Titian: Pietà (ca. 1576). Adults €16, reduced €7.50, advanced reservation fee €1.50.
- 8 Gallery Palazzo Cini (Galleria di Palazzo Cini), Campo San Vio, 864 (Vaporetto line 1 or 2 to Accademia), ☏ . Former residence of Italien industrialist Vittorio Cini who amassed large collection of Italian art. The gallery houses a collection of 15th and 16th cent paintings from Tuscany and Ferrara, period furniture, silver, ivory and ceramic objects.
- 1 The Avogaria Theatre (Teatro a l'Avogaria), Corte Zappa, Dorsoduro, 1617. The smallest theatre in Venice, housed in an unassuming former workshop.
- 1 La Bitta, Calle Lunga S. Barnaba, 2753 A, ☏ . Meals served 18:00-23:00, closed in August. This busy but friendly restaurant is in the more studenty area of Dorsoduro, and attracts a mixture of locals and tourists. They have some excellent Italian dishes, which are reflected in the prices, plus they have a great selection of wines.
There's a number of bars clustered around Campo Santa Margherita mostly frequented by younger locals.