From Aarhus, you can take many regional trains a day to Viborg. There are also usually one InterCity train each day which runs all the way from Copenhagen and stops at several other cities like Odense on the way.
- Viborg Cathedral. A dominant building with famous frescoes made by the local Joachim Skovgaard. Nearby is the Skovgaard Museum, a contemporary art museum that also entertains a large collection of paintings made by the Skovgaard family members.
- Football: Viborg FF were promoted in 2021 and now play soccer in Superliga, Denmark's top tier. Their stadium Viborg Arena (capacity 9500) is 500 m (1,600 ft) northwest of town centre.
- 1 Daubjerg Kalkgruber, Dybdalsvej, Daugbjerg (close to Viborg towards Holstebro on A16), ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Jun: 10:00-16:00, Jul-Aug 15: 10:00-18:00, Aug 16-Oct: 11:00-16:00. Old limestone mines, museum of fossils. Explore the maze of tunnels where the infamous Jens Longknife lived 300 years ago 70 kr.
- 2 Mønsted Kalkgruber (east of Viborg on highway 16), ☏ . 10:00-17:00 Mar 20-Oct and week 7. Explore the largest limestone mine in the world 70 kr.
Viborg has some amazing countryside, and the Hald Sø lake immediately south of town, offers beautiful short nature hikes
- Hald Sø. Summertime is best. One day hilly roundtrips. About 20 km for the entire lake, but options for shorter routes on the west side, with more well-established trails. It is possible to take a dip in the lake at two spots, and the historic inn Niels Bugges Kro rents out rowboats. Amazing landscape vistas across the lake, including deciduous woodlands, heath and meadows.
The Hald Sø trails are part of the much larger cross-regional hike of Hærvejen, going straight down central Jutland.