Alsergrund is the 9th district of Vienna.
Alsergrund (9) is known to be more affluent and also includes much of the University of Vienna several cozy business districts, as well as several hospitals.
The underground line U6 is available to the North, the U4 to the West and the U2 at the South border. There are the tram lines D, 5, 37, 38, 40, 41, 42, 43 and 44 operating in the Alserground district and the bus line 40A.
Museums and galleries
- Liechtenstein Museum, Fürstengasse 1 (D Bauernfeldplatz or 10 minutes walk from U2 subway Schottentor), ☎ +43 1 319 57 67-153 (info and booking), fax: +43 1 319 57 67-20, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Gartenpalais: 15:00-16:00 (admission 14:45), Stadtpalais: 17:00-16:30 (admission 14:45). A private collection of the Prince of Liechtenstein is exhibited in his former Viennese residences, which include the Stadtpalais (City Palace) and Gartenpalais (Garden Palace). The richly decorated picture gallery mainly exhibits Baroque paintings, with a nice portion of Rubens. Guided tours on selected Fridays in German only, registration required. €25 (Stadtpalais), €20 (Gartenpalais); €38 (single ticket for both palaces); no discounts.
- Pathologisch-anatomisches Bundesmuseum (Pathological and Anatomical State Museum), Narrenturm, Spitalgasse 2 (take trams 37-38, 40-42; in a round building which can be hard to find), ☎ . W 10:00-18:00, Sa 10:00-13:00. Housed in a squat tower, which once was an insane asylum, the Narrenturm (Fool's Tower), this museum contains some of the dustier corners of the annals of medicine. You will find preserved hydrocephalic infants, wax castings of tertiary syphilis, antique medical devices, and even a laryngeal tuberculous ulcer. The gift shop sells postcards depicting the best of these. €2 (adults), free (under 19).
- Josephinum, Währinger Straße 25, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. F-Sa 10:00-18:00. Founded by Emperor Joseph II as the Academy of Medico-Surgery, the building was completed in 1785 and houses nearly 1200 anatomical wax models commissioned by the emperor, along with medical documents and instruments. The Josephinum is still used for research today. €2 (adults), €1 (seniors/students).
- Votivkirche, Rooseveltplatz 8 (just outside the Ringstrasse Boulevard, close to the University of ViennaU2 Schottentor), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. One of the most important Neo-Gothic religious architectural sites in the world, constructed between 1856 and 1879. Stands on a large square on the location where an unsuccessful attempt to assessinate Emperor Franz Joseph took place in 1853. The plans were established by Heinrich von Ferstel (1828-1883), who chose to build the cathedral, borrowing heavily from the architecture of Gothic French cathedrals. It is made of white sandstone, similar to the Stephansdom, which is very vulnerable to air-pollution and acid rain an therefore makes frequent renovations necessary.
- Spittelau Waste Incineration Plant (Müllverbrennungsanlage Spittelau), Spittelauer Lände 45 (U2/U3 Spittelau; tram D), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. A waste incinerator may not be the usual item to attract a visitor's attention, but after the Viennese painter/architect Friedensreich Hundertwasser restyled the plant's façade in 1989 (following a fire in 1987), it has become a surprisingly photogenic fixture in the cityscape. Guided tours are offered (in German only) for visitors wanting to gain more insight into Vienna's waste, recycling, and disposal systems; however it is possible to appreciate the exterior of the plant from many locations in the city.
- Strudlhofstiege, Strudlhofgasse 8. Designed by Theodor Johann Jaeger and completed in 1910, the outdoor staircase connects Strudlhofgasse and Liechtensteinstraße, and is a significant example of Jugendstil architecture.
- St. Johannes Nepomuk Kapelle (Nepomuk-Kapelle), across from Währinger Gürtel 88. Designed by Otto Wagner between 1893 bis 1897, this is the architect's first religious structure and served as a model for his later Kirche am Steinhof.
- Freud Museum, Berggasse 19 (U2 Schottentor 10 minute walk, or take tram D to Schlickgasse), ☎ , fax: +43 1 3170279, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 09:00–18:00. This small museum is in Freud's historic flat where he practiced psychoanalysis for almost his whole life. However, the collection is limited mostly to documents of various kinds relating to Freud's life. Almost all of the flat's contents, including the famous original couch, went along with Freud to London when he fled the Nazis in 1939 and are now in the Freud Museum there. €9 (adults), € (seniors), €7.50 (Vienna Card), €6.50 (Club Ö1/students), €4 (children 12-18).
- Schubert Geburtshaus, Nußdorfer Straße 54, ☎ , fax: +43 1 505 87 47 7201, e-mail: email@example.com. T-Su and holidays 10:00-13:00, 14:00-18:00. Franz Schubert was born in a small apartment in this house in 1797. The top floor displays documents relating to the composer's life and work, while other rooms display paintings by the Austrian writer Adalbert Stifter. €4 (adults), €3 (seniors, students, Vienna Card), free (children and youth under 19), free the first Sunday of every month.
- Seegasse Jewish Cemetery (Jüdischer Friedhof Seegasse), Seegasse 9-11 (access through the Rossau retirement home). Daily during daylight hours. Vienna's oldest preserved Jewish cemetery, in use from the 16th century until 1784.
- Volksoper, Währinger Straße 78, Alsergrund (U6: Währinger Straße-Volksoper), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Stages operettas, classical musicals, and ballet productions.
- Schauspielhaus, Porzellangasse 19, Alsergrund, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. A small theatre €18, students €9, seniors €12.
- WUK, Währinger Straße 59 (U6 Volksoper), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. WUK is a 12000-square-metre space of culture, workshops, and social gathering. The cultural center regularly hosts concerts. The place got squatted in the early 70ies and offers these days room for different cultural initiatives including rehearsal rooms, photographer black rooms or a bike repair center.
- Votiv Kino, Währinger Strasse 12 (37, 38, 40, 42 Schwarzspanierstraße), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. The cinema screens international movies including many French ones. The annual Vienna Film Festival is hosted here. On Sunday morning there is a film breakfast. The cinema opened in 1912. €7,00-8,50, €13,50 film breakfast.
- Pier9, Spittelauer Lände 12, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. spring, summer, automn. The outdoor lead wall is 21,5m high. There are 6 security lines with 13 routes. The boulder wall is downstair next to the stream and has the same texture concrete wall with different inclinations. €6 lead, free boulder wall.
- Servitenviertel. The small district around Berggasse, Servitengasse, Porzellangasse and the Schlickgasse has several sophisticated shops
- Confiserie zum Süßen Eck, Währinger Straße 65 (in front of Volksoper), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Tu-Sa 10:00-19:30, M, Su 14:00-19:30. The "Zuckerlgeschäft" sells 70 different types of licorice, several bitter chocolates and many typical Austrian sweets like the Zotter handmade chocolate or the "Badener Kaffeebonbons".
- Wein & Genuss, Frankhplatz 2, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 15:00-01:00. The Vinothek sells mostly Austrian wines from the near by "Weinviertel" region that excells for white wines.
Inside of the old general hospital ("Altes AKH") and next to it there are several restaurant options.
- Gasthaus Wickerl, Porzellangasse 24a, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. M–F 09:00–24:00, Sa 10:00–24:00, Su 10:00–23:00, holidays 17:00–24:00. Traditional Austrian tavern from an excellent kitchen.
- Statt-Beisl, Währinger Straße 59, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 17:00- (During vacations other hours apply). The student tavern inside of the WUK offers international food and several vegetarian offers.
- The Highlander, Sobieskiplatz 4, ☎ . S-Th 11:00-24:00, F-Sa 11:00-01:00; daily 11:00-23:00 (kitchen). Offers own beer and a nice variety of dishes, including vegetarian dishes, at a small square. Might not be one of the cheapest in the cheap section, but definitely worth the price.
- Wiener Deewan, Liechtensteinstraße 10 (Schottentor (+10min walk)), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. M-Sa 11:00-23:00. Young, urban Pakistani restaurant. All you can eat, pay as you wish. You can mix your own menu from a variety of curries, meat, rice, salads, and sauces. Vegetarians will have good choices.
- Zuppa, Schwarzspanierstraße 22 (Schwarzspanierstraße), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 11:00-16:00. Nice buffet and good choice of soups including some vegan options. Take-away.
- Lane & Merriman’s, Spitalgasse 3, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. M–F 06:30–24:00, Sa, Su 08:00–24:00. The irish pub not only serves irish food together with a big beer and wiskey choice it also sells bread (Blaa Bread, Treacle Bread) and apples. €8.95.
- Pizza Riva, Schlickgasse 2 (Ecke Türkenstraße), ☎ . M-Fr 11.30-14.30, daily 17.30-23.00. Pizza Napoletana with good savour.
- Rebhuhn (Gasthaus in der Berggasse), Berggasse 24 (1, D Schlickgasse), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. daily 11:00-24:00, July+August only Sa+Su 18:00-24:00. A classic Viennese restaurant with daily changing menu with traditional meat food plus a great choice of "Knödel".
- Stomach, Seegasse 26, ☎ . W-Sa 16:00-24:00, Su 10:00-22:00. The restaurant is serving contemporary Austrian cuisine, with many Styrian influences. It is highly rated and very popular. Reservation is recommended.
- Zum roten Bären, Berggasse 39, ☎ . M–F 09:–23:00, Sa 18:00–24:00. The restaurant serves Austrian food classics combined with Slovenian food with great quality cooked by Hans Bodingbauer. It has Černá-Hora beer and interesting white wines per glass sold cheaply. lunch menu €6,80 vegetarian, €7,60 fish/meat, Schnitzel.
- Flein, Boltzmanngasse 2 (Ecke Währingerstraße), ☎ . M–F 11:30–15:00, 17:30–23:30. On the French ground of the French culture institute this restaurant serves good food. The lunch menu consists of two choices with one beeing vegetarian. Dogs are not allowed. In the nice season one can enjoy the garden. The wine selection is good and the Austrian beer is from Schrems. lunch €8-10, €8-19.
- Good Morning Vietnam, Sechsschimmelgasse 16, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. M–F, Su, holydays 12:00–14:30, 18:00–23:00. Vietnamese authentic restaurant serving refined food.
Along the Währinger Strasse one finds several different Cafés. Inside of the "altes AKH" and at the Gürtel most bars are to be found.
- Charlie P's (Charlie P's Pub and Dining Room), Währinger Straße 3, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M–Th 14:00–02:00, F 14:00–03:00, Sa 12:00–03:00, Su 12:00–01:00; different hours during summer. The irish pub is very popular. It sells of course Irish beer + fish and chips. It has a wide non-smoking area.
- Halbestadt, Stadtbahnbogen 155 (Nussdorfer Strasse U6), ☎ . M-Th 19:00-02:00, F Sa 19:00-04:00. The cocktail bar fills quickly, hence it is considered wise to reserve places. The cocktails are done with lots of knowledge and excellent alcohols. Consider asking for their specials as they give good advice. The barkeeper participates to international contests. The card designed by the owner and barkeeper Erich Wassicek varies along season. They serve many classics.
- Stiegl Ambulanz, Altes AKH Hof 1, Alserstraße 4 (Entrance at Spitalgasse 2; U6 Alserstraße), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Daily 10:00-24:00. A good bar run by the Stiegl brewery where you can enjoy their beer, which is one of Austria's best common beers. The bar is popular for students with its modern furnishings and relaxed atmosphere. Try the Paracelsus, which you only get in Stiegl breweries.
- The Sign, Liechtensteinstraße 104-106 (U6 Nußdorfer Straße), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 18:00-02:00. This lounge bar serves experimental cocktails by trained keepers. The cocktails are very laboriously mixed. Very friendly service. From the outside the bar is allmost not noticable, but elongates towards the interior. The card offers many creative choices plus one gets ask for interesting local advices by the waiter. Cocktails marked with the asterisk are served in special bowls during the week.
- Weinstadt, Stadtbahnbogen 154 (Nußdorfer Straße U6), ☎ . M-Sa 19:00-01:00. Every Wednesday the wine bar organises a specific wine tasting. One can choose between many Austrian or international wines.
- Cafe Stein, Währinger Straße 6-8 (U2 Schottentor), ☎ . A café that is a popular students meeting point. It has modern stylish interior.
- Café Francais, Währinger Straße 6-8 (U2 Schottentor), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. M-Sa 09:00-24:00. The brasserie offers a simple french bistro food choice.
- Café Weimar, Währinger Straße 68, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 07:30-24:00, Su 9:00-24:00. A traditional Viennese café where one can listen every day after 19h30 to piano music.
- Espresso Hobby, Währingerstr. 9 (Schottentor), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. M 08:00-18:00, Tu-F 08:00-22:00. The small café serves coffe from the small Upper-Austrian roastery Suchan Kaffee. Free WiFi and no smoking.
- Weltcafé, Schwarzspanierstr. 15, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Su 09:00-01:00. The café serves fairtrade food and café. Free Wi-Fi.
Alsergrund beeing a residential area that attracts many academics it is usualy quiet and a comfortable classy district to stay.
- Hotel Pension Liechtenstein, Hörlgasse 9 (U2 Schottentor), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. The family establishment is near the center.
- Hotel Alexander, Augasse 15 (U6 Nußdorfer Straße, U4+U6 Spittelau), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Free Wi-Fi. Breakfast buffet. Single room €76-99, double room €98-132.
- Hotel Goldener Baer, Türkenstraße 27, Alsergrund (Metro stations and tram stops nearby), ☎ , fax: +43 1 317 51 11 22, e-mail: email@example.com. This is a modest hotel. Free wi-fi. €56+.
- Pension Ani Falstaff, Müllnergasse 5, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The familial bed and breakfast is located quite centrally. low season single room €50-56, double room €76-78, peak season single room €62-68, double room € 86-94.
- Hotel & Palais Strudlhof, Pasteurgasse 1, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. The Hotel is next to the famous stairs "Strudlhof".
- Innere Stadt is the central town district.
- Josefstadt is an inner district to the west.
- Vienna's Outer West lists the outer western districts.