Vijayawada literally translates to "The Place of Victory". It is also known as Bezawada . It is the third largest city in Andhra Pradesh, India and is located on the banks of the Krishna River, bounded by the lndrakeeladri Hills on the west and the Budameru river on the north.
Vijayawada is in Krishna District, about 275 km from the state capital Hyderabad and is known as the business capital of Andhra Pradesh. It is spread over an area of 61 km² (urban area) with a population of 851,282 (agglomeration 1,039,518) (2001 census) and 1,025,436 (agglomeration 1,411,152) (2006 census).
Vijayawada is situated along the Chennai-Howrah, and Chennai-Delhi rail route, the largest railway junction of the South Central Railways, and it is well connected to state capital, Hyderabad, by rail, road and air
Jet Airways and SpiceJet connect the city with Hyderabad,Mumbai,Bangalore and Chennai. Air India connects the city with New Delhi via Hyderabad. The new entrant Air Costa has made the city as its base. It currently connect the city with Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Coimbatore, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Tirupati and Visakhapatnam, with plans for increased service later.
Rickshaw:The exclusive mode of transportation in city even fifteen years back,is now virtually out of the road.Some rickshaws can be spotted randomly, and it gives you a good and cheap ride to most locations within the city.
Autorickshaw:You can easily get around the city by an autorikschaw, but be to careful to bargain the fare with the driver in advance if there is no meter fitted which is very common, or else you might end up paying a lot more because 'there was too much traffic' or 'you didn't know the directions'.
There are pre-paid auto kiosks at the railway station (near the front entrance) and at the bus station,where a policeman or a clerk gives you a printed or written bill for the auto fare, and the driver cannot charge anything more than that amount.
Taxi:There are very few car-taxis in Vijayawada. You can,though,call up a cab hire (Jahnavi Car Travels,0866-2474394) and have the taxi pick you up. Ola Cabs is the latest addition in this sector which allows you to hire a taxi via Android, iOS and Windows applications.
Car: There are many car rental companies available.
Bus:Most parts of the city and suburbs are knitted together by this bus network run by the APSRTC. A local bus is generally referred to as a 'City bus', and can be boarded at numerous bus-stops spread all across the city. Most bus-stops do not have a timetable displayed,so you have to catch a bus simply by reading the nameplate on the top. Also,during rush hour (which is usually around 8.30 in the morning and 4.30 in the evening.The evening rush-hour may continue well until 7.30.) there tends to be a lot of hassle when a bus halts,with people trying to get on and off the same time. Overcrowded buses can be tedious and suffocating ,they are best avoided. If you have to take a bus at all, then better try boarding one that has enough room inside. You have to purchase a ticket when you board a bus, and make sure you have the right amount of change with you. The inter-city bus station is in Krishnalanka,from where state owned transport corporation APSRTC plies buses to every corner of state . You can board a bus to almost any place in the Andhra Pradesh from here. You may also like the private buses, that connect the city with Guntur, Hyderabad, Vizag, Bangalore, Pune and Tirupati over a comfortable night-journey,though there are also options for the day-traveler. The tickets for these have to be booked at the offices of the operators.
- Amaravati: Amaravati near Guntur City, formerly called as Dhanyakataka and Andhranagari, is one of the most important Buddhist sites in the country. Acharya Nagarjuna constructed the country's largest stupa here, 2000 years back. Amaravati is considered the most sacred pilgrim centre for Buddhists in South India. It also has an Amareswara temple.
- Besant Road: The busiest business area in Vijayawada. And also most of the cinemas in the city are situated near this place. The major source of entertainment for the citizens is cinema in this city.(the city has about 50-odd cinema theatres)
- Bhavani Island: Perhaps one of the largest islands on a river, Bhavani Island is located on Krishna River close to the city. AP Tourism is converting this 133-acre (54 hectare) island into an attractive tourist spot and a River Front Resort.The island currently has some cottages to stay in and some good adventure and fun sports. Journey to the island by boat is very pleasant.
- Gandhi Hill: The first Gandhi Memorial with seven stupas in the country was constructed on this hill at a height of 500 ft (150 m). The 52 ft (16 m) stupa was unveiled on 6 October,1968 by Dr. Zakir Hussain, the President of India. Gandhi Memorial Library, a Sound and Light Show on Mahatma Gandhi's life and a planetarium are the other attractions. Toy train journey will be a memorable experience at that height on the hill.
- Gunadala Matha Shrine: In 1925, Rf. Arlati, the Rector of St. Joseph's Orphanage at Gunadala, installed a statue of Our Lady and later a church was built and consecrated in 1971, now popularly known as St. Mary's church. Since then the Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes became an annual event here, attended by hundreds of people. The church is situated on a hillock on the eastern side of the city.
- Hazarat Bal Mosque: A holy relic of the Prophet Mohammed is kept here which is displayed once a year. A large number of non-Muslims too join the celebrations.
- Hinkar Thirtha (Jain Temple), Mangalagiri: A Jain temple here with great artistic work, it is slated to be the biggest Jain temple in the region.
- Kanaka Durga Temple: One of the most popular temples in and around Vijayawada, it is located on a hill (Indrakeeladri) overlooking the city as well as the River Krishna. One can either motor up the ghat road or take the steps on foot. Inscriptions of different dynasties are found in the temple. During Dasara Festival, thousands of devotees from the city and its environs throng the temple after a holy dip in the River Krishna close by the temple
- Kondapalli Fort: Kondapalli village is situated 16 km from Vijayawada. A 7th century fort on the hill with an impressive three storeyed rock tower was witness to the glory of many dynasties. This fort was built by King Krishna Deva Raya. It served as a business centre. Finally the fort was used as a military training base by the British rulers. A good picnic spot, the village is famous for toy making with light-weight wood available on the hill forest. These toys are famous world-over as "Kondapalli toys".
- Krishnaveni Mandapam: Also known as 'River Valley Museum', it is situated just in front of Prakasham Barrage. It was constructed by Vijayawada Industrialists & Fertilizers Association. It consists of 4 rooms depicting the story of Krishna River and also statue of Krishnaveni. Krishna River on the bank consists of Bridge Museum, just beside the bus stand. Some more places to visit nearby are Swathantra Samarayodhula Samsthanam which too is beside Pushkar Ghat.
- Lenin Statue: Vijayawada has during some periods in the 1980s been governed by communists, and both Lenin and Karl Marx can be found as statues in the city.
- Mangalagiri: Located in Guntur district, 12 km from Vijayawada is the renowned temple of Lord Narasimha in Mangalagiri, on a hillock. The unique feature of this temple is that the mouth of the idol accepts exactly only half the quantity of panakam (jaggery dissolved in water) offered by devotees, irrespective of the size of the vessel.
- Mogalarajapuram Caves: These caves are said to be excavated in 5th century A.D. The caves are reputed to be the first of their kind in South India. The idols of Lord Nataraja, Vinayaka & Arthanareeswara are carved here.
- Prakasam Barrage: Built across the river Krishna connecting Guntur district, Prakasam Barrage has created a panoramic lake. Its three canals that run through the city give Vijayawada a Venetian look.
- Rajiv Gandhi Park: Created by the Vijayawada Municipal Corporation with great care, this park welcomes the tourists at the entrance of the city with its impressive horticultural network. A mini zoo and a musical water fountain are added to it.
- Sri Nagarala Sri Maha Lakshmi Ammavaru Temple: One of the most popular temples in Vijayawada, it is located in the area of Chiitinagar. During Dasara Festival, thousands of devotees from the city. It is maintained by the Nagaralu Community.
- Subramanya Swamy Temple: One of the most popular temples in Vijayawada, it is located on a hill (Indrakeeladri) overlooking the city as well as the River Krishna. One can take to the steps on foot. During Skanda Shashti Festival, thousands of devotees from the city. So Many regular devotees will come from Tamil Nadu. This Temple is being maintained by Iddipilli Family.
- Undavalli caves: Located in Guntur district, eight kilometers from Vijayawada, these caves are said to be carved in 7th century A.D. Buddhist monks used this two-storeyed cave structure as a rest house during the monsoon. A huge monolith of the Lord Anantha Padmanabha Swamy in reclining posture is a magnificent sight.
- Victoria Museum: A place for archaeology lovers, Victoria Museum has a carefully preserved collection of ancient sculptures, paintings, idols, weapons, cutlery, and inscriptions.
pubs, club, museum in greater Vijayawada
Vijayawada is also famous for commerce in the surrounding areas. For some shopping,you can try these super stores-they are all conveniently large and ambient(air conditioned,that is) big bazar, spencers, reliance, more.These stores stock everything that you would require for everyday use,besides apparel,electronics,footwear,stationary et al. For a more specialised experience,you might like these apparel stores on MG Road-Chermas,Tipsy Topsy and M&M ,Kalanikethan,or Lotus,Manhar,OK Silks and Needs in the besant road area and Take Off for men near Jammi Chettu centre. For Womens' Clothing,you might like stores like maanya(near Dv manor),or Kalanjali-which stores traditional art pieces besides ethnic fare like sarees,salwar-kameez,Sherwani and others. Shopper's Stop have opened up in Vijayawada, much to the pleasure of shopaholics. The LEPL ICON mall cum multiplex also provides you with entertainment. It has a 4 screen INOX, Pizza Hut, KFC, Cafe Coffee Day and Gaming Zone.
- Blue Fox Bar and Restaurant. A good place to drink and have the tastiest nonveg food.
- Hotel Anjaneya Vilas. If you really want to eat authentic Andhra food, go to this place at Kaleswara Rao Market. You may have to stand in line and wait for your turn. However, it is worth the wait. The thalis are pretty cheap - only Rs. 30.00. Only Vegetarian food is served.
- Hyderabad House, the most popular Hyderabadi Biryani place on Tikkle Road.
- Minerva Coffee Shop, the most popular pure veg. south Indian food
- Punnami Restaurant.
- Seven Days Cafe, Governor Pet 27-23-165, Museum Rd Phone: +91 866 6626777: Best place for Coffee, Cakes, Pizza and Party.
- Silver Spoon Restaurant, Gurunanak Colony (Near Executive Club), ☎ . A multi-cuisine restaurant both affordable and very hygienic. A 4-course meal for 2 cost less than $10 or Rs.400.
- Star Hotel (Star Hotel,famous for Chicken and Mutton Biryani), One town. Most of the people in vijayawada like Star Hotel Biryani.People can have un limited biryani .The price will be less than Rs.100.Families prefers Take away.
- Tycoons: One of the best Garden Bar and Restaurants in the City. Located at the heart of the city. Located on Bandar Road near Chennupati Petrol Bunk.
- Cafe Coffee Day, on M.G road, seven days a week (minor warning: no bathrooms for customers).
- Seven Days Cafe. Governor Pet 27-23-165, Museum Rd Phone: +91 866 6626777: Best place for Coffee, Cakes, Pizza and Party.
- Try vijayawada's own version of south Indian filter coffee-available anywhere ac
Vijayawada is one of big railway junctions in India. There are many choices.The ones below are the star hotels.
- The Gateway Hotel, ☎ . 39-1-63, M.G. Road. A taj-group hotel
- Hotel DV Manor, ☎ . 40-1-47 M. G. Road.
- Hotel Krishna Residency,M.G.Road,Beside Jaihind Theater,Besent Road.
- Hotel Ilapuram Gandhinagar.
- Hotel Mamata.
- Hotel Manorama
- Hotel Monica
- Hotel Swarna Palace.
Budget hotels are located near the Old Busstand and near the Railway Station.
- Kondapalli Fort