Vila Nova de Famalicão is a city of 134,000 people (2011) in Minho.
Vila Nova de Famalicão (VEE-luh NAW-vuh d(ih) fuh-muh-lee-KUHNOO, /ˈvi.ɫɐ ˈnɔ.vɐ dɨ fɐ.mɐ.ɫi.ˈkɐ̃w/), popularly known as Famalicão, is 18 km (11 mi) southeast of Braga. The economy of the municipality is mainly based on textile, automotive, metal-mechanic and agrofood industries, hosting the headquarters of some large companies, such as Continental Mabor, Leica, Riopele, Vieira de Castro, and Primor. The city is a junction by road and railway between the northern cities and is not far from the Porto airport.
It is the death place of writer Camilo Castelo Branco. Its historical heritage includes examples of Romanesque art such as the Santiago de Antas church.
- 1 Posto de Turismo (Tourist Information Office), Rua Luís Barroso 1782, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. M–Th 09:00–12:00 & 13:00–18:00, F 09:00–12:00, closed Sa Su.
Once you get to Porto Airport, you can catch the following transports to Famalicão:
- Train/Metro Catch the Metro to Campanhã Station or São Bento Station and then get a train to Famalicão. Duration: 1 hr 40 min. Price (approx.): €5 Metro Train
- Táxi The táxis are located on the arrivals floor at Porto Airport. Duration: 30 min Price (approx.): €45
Travel times between Famalicão and other major cities:
- Porto - 40 minutes by Suburban trains
- Braga - 15-30 minutes by Suburban trains
- Coimbra - 1 hr 25 min by Alfa Pendular or Intercidades
- Lisbon - 3 hr 30 min by Alfa Pendular
- Guimaraes - 20-40 min by bus or 1 hr 20 min to 2 hr by changing trains in Lousado
- Viana do Castelo - 1 hr 40 min to 2 hr 20 min by either direct bus or by changing trains in Nine
- 1 Vila Nova de Famalicão railway station (Estação Ferroviária de Famalicão).
You have a lot of highways going to Famalicão, from Braga, Guimarães, Porto, Felgueiras, Chaves, and others. If you are coming from the south of Portugal there is no difficulty at all. The Portuguese highways are all very well connected, and you only have to go straight to Porto, and then in Porto you catch A3 (Highway 3) which goes to Famalicão. It's quite easy.
Rede Expressos, a network of long-distance bus services, includes a number of direct and indirect lines to Famalicão from practically every city in Portugal. The buses are slightly slower but often not much cheaper than train tickets, especially when bought in advance, and are a much better option only when a direct rail connection is not available.
- 1 House of Camilo Castelo Branco (Casa de Camilo), Avenida de S. Miguel, 758, S. Miguel de Seide (TUF blue line, ARRIVA bus 105-106-107), ☏ . Visiting times: Tu-F 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00; Sa Su 11:00, 12:00, 15:00, 16:00. The residence of the writer Camilo Castelo Branco is now a museum in the town of San Miguel de Ceide. The house was built by Ana Plácido's first husband, Pinheiro Alves, around 1830, when he returned from Brazil, in possession of a large fortune. Camilo lived with Ana Plácido in this house for about 26 years, from the winter of 1863 until his suicide in 1890.
- Bernardino Machado Museum (Vila Nova de Famalicão)
- Cupertino de Miranda Foundation
- National Railway Museum - Lousado
- Textile Industry Museum
- Castro Alves Foundation
- Automobile Museum
- Colonial War Museum
- Soledad Malvar House-Museum
- Museum of Sacred Art of the Chapel of Lapa
- Museum of the Confraternity of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Lemenhe
- Museum of Sacred Art of the Church of S. Tiago das Antas
- Watch football (i.e. soccer) at FC Famalicão. They were promoted in 2019 so they now play in Primeira Liga, the top tier of Portuguese football. Their home ground is Estádio Municipal 22 de Junho, capacity 5300, just south of town centre.
- 1 Restaurante Ferrugem, Rua das Pedrinhas 32, Portela, ☏ , email@example.com. Tu–Sa 12:00–14:30 & 20:00–22:30, Su 12:00–14:30, closed M. Rustic restaurante in a restored old barn. Awarded "Michelin Plate: good cooking" and "comfortable restaurant". €40-65.
- 1 Hotel Moutados, Avenida do Brasil 1223, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Three-star, 40-room hotel with bar, free Wi-Fi, and free parking. €53-67.
|Routes through Vila Nova de Famalicão|
|Vigo ← Braga ←||N S||→ Porto|