Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Vila do Porto municipality covering the whole island is divided into five freguesias (civil parishes):
- 1 Aeroporto de Santa Maria (Santa Maria Airport, SMA IATA). Azores Airlines flies from Lisbon (LIS IATA) and SATA Air Açores flies from Ponta Delgada (PDL IATA).
- 1 Aveiro waterfall. Highest waterfall of Portugal
- 2 Water cascade of Maloás (Ribeira do Maloas). A few waterfalls (~20m high) surrounded by 200m of basaltic columns.
- 3 Raposo bay waterfall (Cascata da Baía do Raposo).
- 4 Viewpoint of São Lourenço. A must-see viewpoint of the bay, come for sunrise views. Also the bay itself is worth a visit.
- 5 Gruta do Figueiral. A small volcanic - shaped cave of erosion, located in the cliff.
- 6 Barreiro da Faneca. A superficial area of arid and clay terrain, resembling a desert, created by the most recent volcanism
- 7 Poço da Pedreira. An old quarry - a big rocky wall coupled with a water basin.
- 8 Gonçalo Velho Lighthouse. Only open on certain days or after appointment.
- 9 São Brás fort (Forte de São Brás). 17th-century maritime fort.
- GR1SMA Great Route of Santa Maria. 80km (5 days) trek around the island with huts for sleeping-over along the path.
- Ilha a Pé. Hut rental around the Great Route.