Visconde de Mauá is a town in the state of Rio de Janeiro, in the Southeast of Brazil. Visitors enjoy hiking along various mountain trails, horseback riding and waterfall baths. The region, which includes the villages of Maringá and Maromba, has excellent inns and good restaurants.
Visconde de Mauá is a geographically isolated region at the top of the Serra da Mantiqueira at the confluence of the states of Minas Gerais, Rio de Janeiro and Minas Gerais. Its main economic activity is mountain tourism, as it has many trails and waterfalls that flow from the Itatiaia National Park. In this bucolic setting, there is a touch of sophistication provided by the charm and comfort of its inns and restaurants.
The region of Visconde de Mauá comprises 3 main villages: Vila de Visconde de Mauá, Vila de Maringá (the village of restaurants) and Vila da Maromba (the village of waterfalls).
Having mild summers and cold, dry winters. In winter, from June to August, the temperature can vary from -8 to 13 °C. summer has rainoften, mainly afternoon rains, with temperatures ranging from 8 to 27 °C.
Access is via the BR-116/Rod. Presidente Dutra, km 311, between the cities of Resende and Itatiaia. From there, it is 30 km of winding road, of which 15 km are asphalted and 15 km are unpaved.
The nearest International airports to Visconde de Mauá are Tom Jobim/Galeão (GIG) in Rio de Janeiro and Cumbica/Guarulhos (GRU) in São Paulo.
- By car: Take the Dutra highway (BR-116), see: Rodovia Presidente Dutra, towards São Paulo. 6 km after Resende city, turn right to Visconde de Mauá and Penedo at access 311. Go straight on the RJ-163 for about 34 km until you reach Visconde de Mauá. The last 15 km is not paved.
- By bus: Contact Cidade do Aço company at the municipal bus station (Phone +55 21 2233-1218). Approx 3 hours travel.
From São Paulo
- By car: Take the Dutra highway (BR 116), see: Rodovia Presidente Dutra, towards Rio de Janeiro. 5 km after Itatiaia city (before Resende), turn left to Visconde de Mauá and Penedo at access 311. Go straight on the RJ-163 for about 34 km until you reach Visconde de Mauá. The last 15 km is not paved.
- By bus: Contact Cometa bus company at the Tietê Station (phone +55 11 4004 9600). There are lines to Resende (approx. 4 hours). You must take a local bus to go from Resende to Visconde de Mauá (approx. 1 hour).
- Escorrega Falls (Cachoeira do Escorrega).
- Gosto com Gosto, at the main street. Excellent Minas Gerais food restaurant.
- Rosmarinus Officinalis, Mauá-Maringá Road, km 4, ☏ +55 24 3387-1550.
On the way back, take the opportunity to visit Penedo. This Finnish colonized village is 3 km from via Dutra.