Jump to navigation Jump to search
Visegrád is a town in Pest County, Hungary.
- 1 Nagymaros–Visegrád Railway Station (Nagymaros–Visegrád Vasútállomás) (the station is about 300 m away from the Nagymaros pier, on the opposite side of the river so you need to take a 5-minute ferry ride across; ferries are scheduled to train arrivals)). From Budapest Nyugati railway station (40-60 minutes, runs every 60 minutes); all stop at Vác. Train timetable.
- Take a direct bus at Budapest, Árpád híd bus station to Visegrád (about 80 minutes, runs every 20-60 minutes). Also regularly buses to Esztergom. Volan bus timetable
- 2 Visegrád Boat Station (Visegrádi hajóállomás), Visegrád, Rév utca (Visegrád center), ☏ . A more expensive (but much more picturesque) way to get from Budapest (Vigadó tér and Batthyány tér) to Visegrád is an excursion boat toward Esztergom stop here (May-Aug: daily once except Monday, Sep: only Sundays, ticket one-way/return: Ft 2000/3000, 2014) via Vác and an other one operating (Jul-Aug: only Sa Su, +May 31, Jun 1, Sept 27 3½ hours, ticket one-way/return: Ft 2000/3000, 2014) via Szentendre, Leányfalu, Tahitótfalu. Also a hydrofoil service run from Budapest, Vigadó tér by Mahart (weekly twice, only between May and September, one hour). A hydrofoil ticket (one-way/return, 2014) to Budapest Ft 4000/6000, Esztergom Ft 2500/4000.
- 3 Nagymaros ferry pier (Nagymaros-Visegrád RÉV), Magyar utca, ☏ (ferry info). Boats to Visegrád (at 06:30, and between 08:00 and 21:00 hourly, about 15 min). Schedules may vary due to water, weather and other reasons.
- 1 King Matthias Museum (Magyar Nemzeti Múzeum Mátyás Király Múzeuma), Visegrád, Fő u. 29. (in the Salomon tower and in the renovated halls of the royal palace.), ☏ , , , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-Su 09:00-17:00, Salomon tower closed Nov-Mar and all year Tuesdays, the Royal Palace open till 16:00 (Nov-Feb). A branch of the Hungarian National Museum. Finds of the local archaeological excavation and photos, drawings and textile can be see here. More on http://visegradmuzeum.hu/ web. - Royal Palace Complex: Partially rebuilt in Renaissance style (accessible to people with physical disabilities), a medieval residential tower and an impressive citadel. The reconstructed royal palace building is open to the public, and hosts exhibitions on the history of the royal residence and reconstructed historical interiors. Salomon tower ticket Ft 700, Dömös church Ft 500, Royal Palace Ft 1100 (reduced Ft 550).
- 2 Upper Castle (Felső vár, Fellegvár) (about 30-50 minute hike up. Close to Hotel Silvánus). A fortification system constructed in the 1240-50s near the former fortification destroyed during the Mongol invasion.
- 3 Lower Castle (Salamon Torony), Salamontorony utca. The Lower Castle is the part of the fortification system that used to connect the Upper Castle with the Danube. In its centre rises the Solomon Tower, a large, hexagonal residential tower dating from the 13th century. It is very visible when arriving to Visegrád on Route 11.
- 4 Ruins of the Roman Pentagon on Sibrik Hill (Ruins of the Római Castrum), Mátyás Király út (Outside Visegrád, to the north), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The ruins of this Roman Empire military camp can be seen on a hill overlooking river Danube. These are the basement walls of a five sided Roman Castrum from the 5th century and the ruins of the governor's castle from the 10th and 11th centuries.
- 5 Archdeacon Church (Főesperesi-templom), Mátyás Király út (Sibrik Hill), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. May-Sep: Sa Su (and on other days by appointment). Built in Romanesque style. At the beginning of statehood, Stephen I constituted the castle called Visegrád as county seat. The first parish church of the county was built on the hillside near the castle. The church of the archdeaconry was built on its site after 1063, in King Solomon's time. Adult Ft 200.
- 6 Roman Catholic Church (Keresztelő Szent János Plébániatemplom), Fő utca ~83 (91) (Nagy Lajos utca corner), ☏ . Mass: Su 09:00, 18:00, M-F 18:00. The baroque-style church was built in the second half of the 1700s. Planned by Schade Lenart. This is a single-nave church with a tower and vaulted interior. The main altar decorated with beautiful color effected picture (moved from the Buda Castle's Sigismund Chapel) a work the 18th-century painter Vicenz Fischer. The pulpit, pews, baptismal pool are also the 18th-century origin.
- 7 Roundtower remains (Kerekbástya, Palotaház?), Visegrád, Fő utca 11-13. (under the staircase in Salamon Torony Street, a little tricky to find, close to Renessaince Restaurant), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Medieval (Gothic, 16th century) wall remains (maybe the ruins buried back, ask around).
- 8 Roman Catholic Mary Chapel (Római katolikus Mária-kápolna), Visegrád, Fő utca 1. (close to King Matthias Museum), ☏ . By appointment. Built in Baroque style in the first half of 18th century, modified in 1788 and rebuilt in the second half of 19th century. Free-standing, small, front towered memorial chapel. Triangular pediment is above the main facade, behind it is a low, wooden bell tower. A gabled building covered with red tiles. Admission: free.
- 9 (Zugfőzde Pálinkamúzeum), Visegrád, Rév utca 1 (Next to Roman Catholic Church of St. John the Baptist), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. In autumn and winter: W-Su 10:00-18:00; M Tu closed. Here can get information about the era when pálinka distillation was outlawed, from 1919 to 2010. You can also watch two short films show the history of pálinka distilling, and one an interesting compilation about the ingredients of pálinka, including medicinal pálinka. The films reveal exciting secrets about how the ancestors protected themselves against excise men and where they hid their illegally, yet continuously distilled pálinka in order to save their values. By watching the film shot in a "Kisüsti" distillery viewers can learn about the process of preparing "kisüsti" (pot still) pálinka. In the building of the pálinka museum there used to be a grocer's store at around the turn of the century for this reason there is an ice house under the building. Admission: Ft 500/400.
- Provostry remains of Dömös (Loc.: Close to Danube bank, take a bus toward Esztergom).
- Nagymaros (Take ferry across river Danube. Runs every hour, takes 5 minutes.) A resort village with a small museum take tours from here
- Kismaros (buses and trains from Szob-Nagymaros or Budapest-Vác directions) a headstation of a Forest Train to Királyrét excursion place. Hand car railway in Királyrét, a 750m long circle railway near Királyrét forest train railway. (Loc:Szokolya - Királyrét, Paphegy 2. Phone: +36 30 8696751, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Mar-Apr: weekends only; May-Aug: every day; Sep-10 Dec: weekend only, Admission: Ft 300)
- Zebegény a Danube Bend resort village startpoint of a couple nice walking tours, take a ferry to Nagymaros further bus or train toward Szob.
- 1 [dead link] Visegrád Forset Cultural House and Natural Protection Camp (Visegrádi Erdei Művelődési ház és természetvédelmi tábor), Visegrád, Mogyoróhegy Hill, (Forestry of Visegrád: Mátyás király út 4) (Close to Mogyoróhegy Restaurant), ☏ , , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 09:00-15:00. Forestry camphouse mostly for school groups, for 'school of forest' but solo or small groups are welcomed. Accommodation fees: in 12 bed chalets 1-2 nights Ft 2300 p.p., 3-7 night Ft 2000p.p. During the heating season Ft 3200; breakfast Ft 450, lunch Ft 800, dinner Ft 750.
- 2 Pilis Protected Area (Pilisi Tájvédelmi Körzet), Visegrád, Danube-Ipoly National Park Directorate, Pilis Forestry branch (Pilisi Parkerdő Zrt. Visegrádi Erdészet), Office: Visegrád, Mátyás király Way 4. (Center of Visegrád), ☏ , , fax: . The protected area covers 64,512 ha, 59,362 hectares of which are forest land areas. This woody area in the Danube Bend is cut by the Dera- stream and the Cserepes- valley in two parts. Guided tours in nature protection area. Take a walk to the most highest place in the Pilis Mountains is the 757 m high "Pilis Peak" and enjoy the superb view from Boldog Özséb (Blessed Eusebius) Lookout. Take one of the cave tours: The rock-bed of the Pilis Hills stretching from Esztergom to Budapest is made up of limestone and dolomite. Because of the basic characteristics of limestone karst formation, the hills are exceptionally rich in caves. Therefore it is not surprising that most of the caves of the National Park can be found in the Pilis Hills. Some interesting destinations: #1 Moonshine Canyon (Holdvilág-árok) The Holdvilág ditch is a popular tourist destination a water habitat, a memorial site, in the Visegrad Mountains Northwest from Pomáz, about 6 km away. In addition, however, is considered an ancient burial ground, place of worship. it has botanical value. #2 Miklós Bertényi Fűvészkert (see above), #3 Pilisszentkereszt Cistercian Monastery ruin and gorge (Pilisszentkereszti Szurdok) ravine in forestry of Pilisi Park, in the near of Pilisszentkereszt on the blue marked tour, #4 Rám Abyss and trail gap, #5 Mogyoró Hill trails in Visegrad: #5.1 Mogyoróhegyi natural history trail and educational path in nature conservation area, without admission fee. This is a 1-km trail not so far from Budapest with 10 stations. This trail is ideal for familes or children groups. It has very rich flora und fauna also a water habitat and it has geological value. #5.2 Áprily-völgyi Rege-Termő nature trail. 1200 m long, Moderately difficult walk with eleven trail station points. #5.3 Take an other tour here on a 800 m long trail called Kisvillámi Vadvirágos trail,-with 14 infostation points,-guided tours are available. #5.4 Mogyoró hill Wildlife Park - Mócsi farm (Phone: +36 (20) 9846045, +36 26 398227 Fax: +36 26 398227 Open M-F 09:00-15:00) Available with guided tours, by appointment. Without admission fee!) This is a Wildlife Park and a traditional eco-farm with bio-farming in forest park, #6 Vadálló stones at Prédikálószék Rock, #7 Zsitvay Lookout in Visegradon Nagy- Villám Hill, #8 Yurt camping in Visegrad, #9 Miklós deák Valley lakes. A bit far away: #10 Pusztamaróti historic memorial site for the battle of Mohács which was in 1526. (Phone: +36 26 598000 Fax: +36 26 398227, No admission fee! Located on Bajna-Bajót route, from Lábatlan on the red marked itinerary, or in deirection of Bajót or Tardos on the blue marked itinerary. #11 Budaszentlőrinc Pálos monostory, (Phone: +36 26 598000, Fax: +36 26 398229 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Open: all year long. Admission is free of charge.) A pauliner monastery close to the Budapest Forestry. #12 Árpád lookout tower on Budapest, Látó Hill (phone=+36 1 3910540, +36 26 598000, fax=+36 26 398229) A excursion place and a lock out tower on top of the Látó Hill. For a full list or details ask at Tourinform. Anyone can visit the forest area on foot, horse and human powered bicycle. Temporary closures are possible, especially in the winter -- check the website. Free camps in the Pilis forest. Two (of six) are near Visegrad (both open: only May-Sep, ask permit: Visegrád, Mátyás király Way 4. - Phone:+36 26 598080, mail: email@example.com): Mócsay tanya (farm with piped water, max 120 people), Vöröskői Vándortábor (Red Rock Hiking Camp with piped water, max 120 people). Hunting in 50,000 ha available to roe deer, big game, deer, wild boar, fox, mouflon, woodcock. Hungarian, English, German guides. Ft 10 000/group/hour max. 20 persons.
- Toboggan runs near Visegrád, they have two parallel runs, one operates throughout the year, the other one is summer-only.
- 3 [dead link] Visegrád Botanical Garden - Miklós Bertényi Arboretum (Bertényi Miklós Füvészkert) (From Roman Catholic Church of Visegrad go toward Telgárthy meadow followed Apátkút Creek east 200 m start the Mátyás király Way toward east south east passed the Devil's Mill Falls (Ördögmalom vízesés), afher the Magdalene source you will arrive to Telgárthy meadow. The rim of its is the Botanical Garden. All is about 2 km long.), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Apr-Sep: Th-Su 10:00-20:00, or by appointment ask Mr.Koncz Miklós (senior forester) +36 20 9846046.. Followed the 20 board signed nature trail. Every season offers different sight. Walking relaxing between singing birds in Alpine and submediterranean plant environment. Special sight is some Andesite and loess occurence between 150-350 m height. Also there is a small presentation house. Adult ticket: Ft 500, Professional guidance: 1st/2nd hour: Ft 4000/2000.
- Don Vito Pizzeria and Ristorante. 2025 Visegrád, Fő utca 83. Delicious food and desserts, and even offers pizza delivery.
- Sirály Restaurant. 2025 Visegrád, Rév utca 15. Near the ferry station.
- Renaissance Restaurant, 2025 Visegrád, Fő utca 11. The restaurant is on Route 11, near Salamon tower.
- [dead link] Piknik Falatozó, Címünk: 2025 Visegrád, Rév utca 2. Small eatery, offers cheap daily menus.
Pillangós ház cosy double rooms for Ft 13 000. It has wireless internet in the rooms and there is a small kitchen and lounge available for use. Lovely esoteric woman in charge.
- Post Office (Visegrád 1 posta), Visegrád, Fő utca 77., Phone:+36 26 398 020
- Dobogókő — a popular holiday-maker place trails depart from her to different part of Pilis National Park
- Esztergom — one of the most visited cities in Hungary, Esztergom has much to see, including the largest cathedral in the country
- Szentendre — (take a bus toward Budapest) is known for its museums (most notably the Open-Air Ethnographic Museum), galleries, and artists.
- Vác — Take ferry to Nagymaros further bus or train toward Budapest