Visingsö is an island in the middle of Lake Vättern. It is located in Jönköping Municipality, in the Swedish province of Småland, and has around 750 inhabitants. During the summer this number increases due to the tourism. The island is famous for its horse and carriage, known as remmalag.
Visingsö is the biggest island in Lake Vättern and is 14 km long and 3 km wide. According to the legend the island was founded by the giant called Vist that left a piece of grass in the middle of the lake to step on. That piece of grass is now the island Visingsö.
To get to the island there are ferries that frequently departure from Gränna all year around. Between Gränna and Visingsö there is 6 km and estimate to take 25 minutes to get there.
There are many things you can see on the island during summer:
- The oak forest. close to the harbor you will find the oak forest. This is Sweden’s straightest forest. The oaks where intended for the Swedish navy as assets to build boats.
- Kumlaby church. the most famous church on the island. In the old tower of the church you may climb to the top through narrow steps to experience a view of the island and the lake.
- Tempelgården. a garden of art made by the artist Olle Krantz.
- Remmalag. on the island during summer the horse and carriage, also known as remmalag is up and going every day. There are two ordinary tours to choose from, the Persgården tour or the Kumlaby tour.
- The train on Visingsö. during summer you can travel on the island by train. The tour takes you through the southern part of the island and is guided. The tour takes about one hour and fifteen minutes, included a smaller stop in Näs.
- [dead link] Restaurang Framnäs. Restaurant in the middle of the island.
- Restaurang Solbacken. A restaurant in the harbor with ecological food.
- Talay Thai. A restaurant with inspiration from Thailand.
- Svensgården. A yard with locally produced food and homemade Swedish "Ostkaka".
- . a yard and a café three kilometers from the harbor. Persgården sells ecological products and homemade muesli.