A desert with sand dunes, up to 100 metres high and 170 km long, stretching south. There are several camps in Wahiba Sands where it is possible to camp and experience the desert, do some camel riding, dune bashing and relaxation. Seeing the sun setting in Wahiba Sands is truly wonderful!
Look at sand
There are a few tourist resorts in the Wahiba, well worth spending 3 or 4 nights for the full experience.
- 1000 Nights Camp, Mandinat Al Sultan Qaboos (19km over a sand ridge from Al-Raha Camp), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 1 [dead link] Al Areesh Desert Camp, ☏ .
- Al-Raha Tourism Camp (via Mintirib along 18 km of graded track), ☏ , . Particularly recommended as a base for exploration deeper into the sands.
- Nomadic Desert Camp (20 km south of the village of Al Wasil), ☏ . Accommodation is in barasti-style huts with shared bathrooms. Included in the price is transport to and from Al-Wasil on the Muscat–Sur Hwy, a camel ride and visit to a Bedouin village. There is no generator and therefore no air-conditioning, which makes for a peaceful and authentic experience.
- Al-Qabil Rest House, Route 23 Sharqiya (Wahiba) Sands (on the Ibra–Sur Hwy 10km northwest of Al-Mintirib). simple rooms around a landscaped courtyard. Doors close by 10pm.
- Desert Nights Camp, Al Wasil (from Muscat follow the Sultan Qaboos road. After the airport roundabout, take the Nizwa highway (M23, Muscat to Sur Raod) for 150 km. You will pass the small town of Ibra and after 40 km the small village of Al Wasil. 500 metres after the Al Wasil sign, turn right at the small sand coloured mosque and follow the dirt road for 11km to Desert Nights Camp.), ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 2pm, check-out: 12pm. A 5 star hotel consisting of 53 suites and rooms and the hotel offers one main restaurant. In addition it has meeting facilities as well. Starting from USD 328..