Jump to navigation Jump to search
Waihi Beach is a small town in the western Bay of Plenty in New Zealand, north of Tauranga Harbour and near the base of Coromandel Peninsula.
Waihi Beach offers nine kilometres of sweeping white sand with one of the safest surf breaks in New Zealand. It brings people back each summer to just relax or enjoy activities out on the water or along the coastline and bush. There's something to suit everyone and every budget with a wide range of accommodation and dining options.
- 1 Waihi Beach Info Centre, 26 Wilson Road, ☏ +64 7 863 5614, firstname.lastname@example.org. F-Su 10:30AM-1:30PM.
Bus 85 from Waihi and Katikati, four services a day, Tuesdays and Thursdays only. Otherwise drive.
Only 8 buses a week so the options are vehicle or bike.
- Swimming and surfing. Most of the 9 km of sandy beach is safe for swimming and offers some small surfing opportunities. The north end of the beach is the safest and the surf club operates through the summer months. If you want a break from the waves head on to ANZAC Bay down at the Bowentown end of the beach for a small sheltered bay for swimming (best at high tide but offers all day swimming).
- Orokawa Bay Walk. This walk from the northern end of Waihi Beach leads to the beautiful pohutukawa-lined Orokawa Bay. There is a 45-minute detour to the 28-m-high William Wright Falls. Time: 1 hour 20 minute return.
- 1 Athenree Hot Springs, 1 Athenree Road, Bay of Plenty (9 minutes drive), ☏ +64 7 863 5600, email@example.com. Two outdoor hotspring pools fed from underground water. $9.
- 1 Chez Moi - The swiss chocolate shop, 29 Wilson Road, ☏ +64 27 372 4093.
- 1 Waihi Beach Bakery, 16 Wilson Road, ☏ +64 7-863 5002, firstname.lastname@example.org. 6:30AM-2PM daily. Nice fresh cream donuts.
- 2 Waihi Beach Butchery, 18B Wilson Road, ☏ +64 7-863 5203, email@example.com. The bacon is cured on site and can be sliced to your requirements.
- 3 Flatwhite, 21 Shaw Road, ☏ +64 7-863 1346. Cafe by day restaurant by night right by the beach. Eat indoors or out.
- 4 The Secret Garden, 17 Wilson Road. Cafe in an outdoor Asian-themed garden, Mexican food and cocktails also available.
- Waihi Beach Hotel, 60 Wilson Rd.
- 1 Waihi Beach RSA (Returned Service's Association), 99 Beach Rd, ☏ +64 7 863 8860, firstname.lastname@example.org. M-W 3PM-close, Th-Su 11AM-close; holidays 2PM-close.
- 1 Tasman Holiday Parks - Waihi Beach, 15 Beach Rd, ☏ +64 0800 924 448, email@example.com. Campsites, cabins and motel units.
- 2 Waihi Beach Hotel, 60 Wilson Road, ☏ +64 7 863 5402, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tauranga – city to the south
- Whangamata – another beachside settlement, to the north