Walsrode was first mentioned in 986, the same year that Count Walo founded a monastery in the area. By 1383, it had been given city rights by the Dukes of Brunswick and Lüneburg. The Sculptor Hans Brüggemann, most famous for the cathdral's Bordesholmer altar, was born in Walsrode at the end of the 15th century.
The city was largely destroyed in 1626 by Tilly's troops in the Thirty Year War. The war began because of a religious conflict between Protestants and Catholics. Walsrode was largely a Protestant town and was thus destroyed by Johann t’Serclaes von Tilly. Things did not get any better for Walsrode in 1757, when the majority of houses were destroyed by the "Great Fire".
Walsrode was connected to the railway network in 1890. It was joined to the railway line that went to Bremervörde, and eventually connected to the line between Hannover and Schwarmstedt.
The local poet Hermann Löns used his beloved heath around Walsrode for his novels and poems celebrating the people and landscape. You can still feel the magic of this vast landscape, with its splashes of colour from purple flowering heather, dark green junipers and bright yellow gorse bushes, surrounded by colourful forests, fertile fields and rolling river valleys. Hermann Löns was buried in 1935 in Tietlingen grove.
In 1957 Walsrode became the site of the Federal Border Police where they also have a training and education centre.
- Hamburg International Airport, 8 km north of Hamburg, is about 125 km north from Walsrode, roughly 1 hour and 20 minutes' drive.
- Hanover Airport, 11 km north of Hanover, is about 56 km south of Walsrode, roughly 35 minutes' drive.
- Bremen Airport is about 65 km northwest of Walsrode in Bremen, roughly 45 minutes' drive.
- From Bremen - Approaching the "Bremer Kreuz" via the A1 turn off onto the A27 towards Walsrode - Hanover and continue to junction Walsrode-West.
- From Hamburg - A7 towards Hanover up to Fallingbostel junction. Follow the B209 to Walsrode for 7 km.
- From Hanover - A7 towards Hamburg. At "Walsrode Dreieck" turn off onto the A27 towards Bremen and continue to junction/exit Walsrode-West. Follow the B209 to Walsrode for 2 km.
There is one train station in Walsrode and it is just a short walk from the centre itself. This provides a Regional service and is on the Heath Railway. This section of railway goes from Hannover to Soltau but can also come from Hamburg with a few changes along the way, however this can take up to 3 hours. Trains run roughly from 04:30 to 21:00. The train also passes through Bad Fallingbostel, Soltau, Schwarmstedt, Bennemühlen, and Langenhagen on its way to Walsrode.
There is a local bus from Hannover that can take you into Walsrode. It is on the R41 line and departs all throughout the week with a number of different timing options; it will take roughly an hour. You can also get a bus from Hamburg on the same line, however it could take up to 2½ hours. For more information look at: Buses
Walsrode Station provides Regionalbahn trains which offers a basic service. It provides a connection between Hanover and Soltau. It is part of the Heath railway which connects Hannover to Buchholz in der Nordheide. This train station also lies on the America line which connects from Bremen to Uelzen.
There are a number of different bike routes that you can take in and around Walsrode, some specifically for bike racing and some for mountain biking. There is also a historical tour that you can take where you can learn more about Hans Löns which is 5km long. If you do not have your bike with you there is also the possibility to rent a bike for the day.
- Fahrradhaus Unruh, Benzer Straße 27. Open daily from 09:30-18:00
Many of the hotels in and around the area often hire bikes out for the day for a small fee of €6-10.
There are a number of taxi firms in Walsrode, and there are a always some taxis outside the train station that you can jump in.
- 1 Walsrode Convent, Kirchplatz 2, ☏ . April-October Every afternoon. This an amazing opportunity to learn more about the way in which the nuns live their lives and also about the history of the convent which was first mentioned in 986.
The central city area has a well-branched network of parks and inner-city recreational areas, which are each decorated differently and equipped according to purpose:
- Fulde Park, Herman Lons Str.. The park is a semi-natural landscape with ponds and wetlands which were created specially. There is an impressive collection of numerous fruit trees.
- Klostersee, Hannoversche Str. The klostersee was built in the mid-1960s to be used as a storm water retention basin. Over the years the lake has evolved with wide paths, spacious lawns and manicured flower beds.
- Dorfmuseum, Kirchstr 4, ☏ . Apr-Oct: Th 15:00-17:00. This is a museum about the life and work of composer Ludwig Rahlfs. The museum also shows what Dushorner was like 100 years ago. Adult €1, child €0.50.
- 2 Rischmannshof Heath Museum (Heidemuseum Rischmannshof), Herrmann-Löns-Straße 2, ☏ . M-Tu closed, W-Sa 10:00-12:30 13:00-17:00, Su & public holidays 13:00-17:00. The Heide museum is one of the oldest open air museums in Germany, it first opened as a museum in 1912. The museum consists of a farm, with out buildings and field offices with the majority of it being built in 1798. Adult €2.50, child €1.
- 3 St Georg Christophorus Jodokus, Stellichte, ☏ . 12:00-18:00. This church was built between 1608-1610 and was constructed for the Behr family and is an Evangelical Lutheran Church. The interior is elaborately carved with painted wood furnishings which date back to the 17th century. The church was renovated in 1901 with great care, with the altar rail, the railing of the chancel steps, the church pews, and some floor tiles were replaced.
- 4 St. Georg Meinerdingen, Dorfallee 15, Meinerdingen, ☏ . Apr-Oct 09:00-19:00. It is thought the original church was built in the 13th century, however, it was either demolished or expanded in the 14th century and built in the gothic style.
- 5 St John the Baptist Church, Am Kloster 1, ☏ . 10:00-17:00. This church is a large and spacious place of worship and was built between 1848-50, it is also connected to the convent in Walsrode.
- Serengeti Park, Am Safaripark 1, Hodenhagen, ☏ . Late March to early November: daily 10:00-18:00. A little piece of Africa in Germany. Serengeti allows you to drive your vehicle through the park and see the wild animals up close. After seeing the animals there is an amusement park which will keep you entertained for the rest of the day. The park situated in the neighbouring town of Hodenhagen a few kilometers away from Walsrode. Adult €26, child (3-12) €21.
- 6 Walsrode Bird Park (Weltvogelpark Walsrode), Vogelpark Walsrode, Ahrsener Straße - Bomlitz (leave the A27 at Walsrode West and follow the signs), ☏ . Mid-Mar to early Nov: daily 09:00-19:00. Nature park with over 4000 of birds of 650 different types. The park is filled with a flora that captures all the colours of the rainbow. The months of April and May are particularly exciting when the 46 different types of rhododendron are in full bloom. There are however lots of different trees, bushes and plants in bloom all season through. There is a wonderful live flying show incorporating eagles, parrots, secretary birds, cranes, storks and other wonderful birds. One can see the chicks being fed, the feeding of the penguins and pelicans and the storks that are allowed to fly free above and beyond the enclosures, in great flocks that fill the sky above the park. There is also a guide service by the rangers who can be booked to show you all the Welt Vogelpark has to offer. There are lots of indoor attractions including a tropical forest enclosure and an excellent children’s play area. It is open from April to October from 09:00 to 19:00. The Rosen Cafe has some wonderful meals from breakfast through to dinner at competitive prices. There is a gift shop at the entrance/exit. This is a wonderful attraction and well worth a visit. Adult €17, child (4-17) €12, family €52.
- Wild park, Am Wildpark - Nindorf-Hanstedt (take exit Garlstorf on the A7, then in the direction of Nindorf, signposted), ☏ . Summer 08:00-19:00, Winter 09:00-16:30. It is surrounded in 60 acres of land with over 120 types of animals. There is a large free car park available. Adult €9.50, child (3-14) €7.50, family €32.
- Hiking Walsrode has more than 700km hiking trails running through and around it.
- Colesseum Bowling, Rudolf Diesel Str 6, ☏ . M closed, Tu-F 16:00 till late, Sa 12:00 till late, Su 10:00 til late. Enjoy moonlight bowling Friday and Saturday nights with the added bonus of good music. Tu-Th €18 per hour per lane, F-Su €21 per hour per lane.
- 1 Fitness Pool Walsrode, Hermann-Löns-Straße 23, ☏ . M 10:00-16:00, Tu-F 07:00-21:00 Sa Su 11:00-17:00. This is a 25-m pool with a temperature of 27°. There are a number of different lessons and classes that are available. Adult €3, child (4-17) €1.50.
- Strandbad Dorfmark, Am Holzfeld 5 - Dorfmark, ☏ . M-F 14:00-18:00, Sa Su 12:00-19:00. This is a natural swimming pool out in the open, that water is regularly checked by the local town to make sure it is safe to swim in.
- Riding School For Fun, Görlitzer Str 17 - Dorfmark, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Why not enjoy a spot of horse riding where you can realise how fun it can be. You can enjoy riding lessons, mini club, weekend camps away or why not have a birthday party here. Adult lesson €20, child lesson €12.
- Hurricane Festival, Eichenring, Scheeßel. Late June. This is a three day music event where you can enjoy music of all genres. €114 & €10 waste disposal.
- Ginseng Farm Festivals, Bockhorn 1, ☏ . Ascension day (3 Oct) and 3rd weekend in advent. The farm is transformed into a small artistic village where you can try the culinary delights on offer and see some of the crafts that are produced.
- Schützenfest, Market place. Different days throughout July. This takes place in July and is a festival with plenty of drink and Bratwurst stands to enjoy
- Christmas Market, Kirchplatz, ☏ . First weekend in December 11:00-20:00. This always takes place at the beginning of December and you can enjoy many stalls selling hand made crafts or food.
There are a wide variety of shops within the town centre which include clothes, pets, electronics and homeware. There is a one way circuit within Walsrode and you will find the majority of shops along these roads. The shops are open M-F until 18:00, Sa roughly till 14:00 and are closed on Sundays. There is a small department store in the centre of Walsrode called City Kaufhaus, you will find everything here from computer games, books and clothes.
- Walsrode Farmers' Market is every Friday morning and sells fresh fruit, vegetables and flowers.
- Heide Wax, Ebbinger Str. 1a, ☏ . January-March: M-F 10:00-17:00; April-December: M-F 09:00-18:00. Is a small shop where you can see how they produce the candles. There is also an extensive range candles that you can buy. Varies.
- 1 Beekeeping Rosenhargen, Am Berge 2, 29664 Walsrode, ☏ . Friday 15:00-18:00. This shop sells anything to do with honey from honey wine to beeswax candles.
Walsrode is within the Luneburg Heide region where the Heideschnucke (moorland sheep) is bred on the moors where they feast on heather and birch tree shoots. It is often found on many of the restaurant menus and has a gamey flavour to it, it is often compared to venison.
- La Brasserie, Lange Straße 20, ☏ . A café bistro in the centre of Walsrode with outside seating. You can enjoy a simple baguette or a sweet or savoury crepe. Mains €4-10.
- Vatters Bakery, Hannoversche Str. 2, ☏ . M-F 06:00-18:00, Sa 06:00-17:00, Su 06:00-18:00. A café on the outskirts of Walsrode where you can enjoy fresh rolls or cakes.
- Ricky’s Pizza, Worth 16, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Th 17:00-22:00, F Sa 17:00-23:00, Su 17:00-22:00. €3-9.
- Anders, Gottlieb Daimler Straße 6, ☏ . M-Sa 08:30-00:00. This is different from any other kind of restaurant in the area, why not experience cuisine with a difference. You can sit and enjoy yourself with your own beer pump at your table. Varies depending on the different buffets.
- Athos, Wiener Platz 8, ☏ . 12:00-14:30 & 17:30-23:30. A traditional Greek restaurant with an indoor and outdoor eating area. Mains €6-15.
- Calabria is an Italian pizzeria with a small amount of seating in the "Grosse Graben". It serves pizza, and a vast array of pasta dishes. It is also renowned for its cappuccino. The traditional bruschetta is a dream and this followed by a calzone is a fantastic traditional Italian meal. The prices are good too.
- Marco Polo, Moorstraße 54, ☏ . An Italian restaurant in the centre of Walsrode serving Italian and international dishes. Mains €7-15.
- Da Piero, Moorstraße 85, ☏ . A small Italian and pizza restaurant with a cosy atmosphere. Mains between €6-15.
- Landgasthaus Voltmer, Dorfallee 14 - Honerdingen, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. W-M 11:30-14:30 and from 17:30, Tu closed. The restaurant offers typical German cuisine. There is a free car park as well as a beer garden if you would like to just enjoy a drink in the summer months. Mains €4-15.
- Zauberkessel, Bergstraße 12, ☏ . W F Sa from 17:00. A medieval restaurant that serves vegan dishes where you can eat your meal off clay plates to get an authentic experience. All money goes towards the animal sanctuary.
- Mendoza, Lange Straße 79, ☏ . M-Sa 17:00-00:00, Su 11:30-14:30 17:00-00:00. An Argentinean steakhouse with various types of meat cooked to how you like, sizzling on a hot stone. Mains between €12-28.
- Forellenhof, 3 Hünzingen, ☏ . Daily 18:00-22:00. A stylish restaurant where you can enjoy fresh locally produced cuisine. There is also a large terrace next to the pond where you can enjoy coffee and cake and enjoy the surroundings. There is also a beer garden where you can enjoy the beer that is brewed on the premises, "Schnuckenbräu" beer. Mains between €12-46.
- Parkhotel Luisenhöhe, Am Vogel park 2 - Bomlitz, ☏ . Daily 10:30-22:00. There is a wide variety of different German cuisine. There is also a regional menu where you can try some of the delights that the Luneburg Heide region offer. Mains between €5-40.
- Samocca, Lange Straße 37, ☏ . M-F 09:00-18:00, Sa 09:00-13:00. A cafe in the town centre serving various hot beveridges and snacks.
- Cafe am Markt, Kleiner Graben 20, ☏ . Small cafe where you can ejoy a hot drink and relax.
- Alexander’s, Lange Straße 70, ☏ . A small bar in the centre of Walsrode that stocks a variety drinks. There is an outside area to enjoy the cocktails on a hot summer's day.
- Anders, Gottlieb Daimler Straße 6, ☏ . M-Sa 08:30-00:00. This is different from any other kind of restaurant in the area, why not experience cuisine with a difference. You can sit and enjoy yourself with your own beer pump at your table.
- Colesseum Bowling, Rudolf Diesel Str 6, ☏ . M closed, Tu-F 16:00 till late, Sa 12:00 till late, Su 10:00 til late. There is a fully stocked bar with a variety of different spirits that you can enjoy. Tues-Thurs €18 per hour per lane, F-Su €21 per hour per lane.
- Exit, Moorstraße 25. Open daily from 14:00, cocktail hour 17:00-19:00. This is a small modern bar situated in the town centre. There are numerous different themed nights.
- St Hubertus, Moorstraße 24, ☏ . M-F 09:00-23:00, Sa Su 09:00-14:00. This is a small traditional German pub that is ideal if you want a quiet drink.
- Schwarzer Hermann, Moorstr. 84, ☏ . This is another small quiet German pub where you can get away from all the hustle and bustle of the younger bars.
- Studio 78, Wernher v. Braun Str. 3, ☏ . F Sa 22:00 til late. A club with 4 areas where you can dance away to different types of music. They have many different types of music on each weekend. Prices vary from free to €10 depending on whether it is a special night.
- Ferien Zum alten Mühlenteich, Mühlenstr. 33-35, ☏ . This campsite is open all year round and benefits from a restaurant, supermarket and a swimming pool and sanitary facilities. There is 7 acres of land and the pitches are based around a lake. Pitch €10-14, adults €8-9, child €3-4, dogs €1.
- Campingplatz Ahlden, Worthweg 5 - Ahlden, ☏ . Check-out: 11:00. The pitches are in lush green grass and beautiful forest land. There is the opportunity to go swimming, fishing, canoeing and rafting. There is an on-site restaurant where you can enjoy a meal in the evening. Pitch €6-10, adults €2-3, child €1, dogs €1.
- Landpension Langrehr, Südkampen 73, ☏ . A wellness centre where you can enjoy going for bike rides, walks or even just enjoy a massage at the hotel. €28-40.
- [dead link] Die Stadtschänke, Lange Straße 73, ☏ . This hotel started out in 1836 as a pub and has been transformed into a rustic hotel and restaurant. €45-70.
- Ferienhaus Eckernworth, Hermann Lons Str 19, ☏ . Eckenworth has holiday apartments to rent. It has the added bonus of an outdoor swimming and a club house for you to unwind in at the end of the day. €40-60.
- ANDERS Hotel Walsrode, Gottlieb Daimler Str 11, ☏ . Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. This 3-star hotel is on the outskirts of Walsrode, and has wellness facilities on site. There is free parking next to the hotel. Anders bar and restaurant is just a quick walk away.
- Luisenhöhe, Am Vogelpark 2 - Bomlitz, ☏ . Check-in: 14:00-22:00, check-out: 07:00-11:00. The hotel has a Mediterranean feel with all the rooms being well equipped. The restaurant serves a mixture of international and German cuisine. You could always relax in the hotels spa area in the sauna, Jacuzzi or book yourself an Ayurveda massage. €77-100.
- Hotel Hannover, Lange Straße 5, ☏ . Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 13:00. The hotel is in the centre of Walsrode and is just a short walk from the convent and Fulde park. The hotel was built in 1809 and was last renovated in 2006. €70.
- Hotel Forellenhof (Ringhotel), 3 Hünzingen, ☏ . Check-in: 14:00-23:00, check-out: 07:00-11:00. A family-run hotel with lots of tradition running through it. It is set in the countryside on the outskirts of Walsrode where you can rent bicycles and explore the surrounding area. €90.
- Landhaus Walsrode, Oskar Wolff Straße 1, ☏ . The hotel is built in an old farmhouse and is surround by a well-kept garden. There is a heated outdoor swimming pool and the opportunity to hire bikes for you to take your site seeing further. €95-160.
- [formerly dead link] Hotel Sanssouci, Tietlingen 4, ☏ . Check-in: 15:00-21:00, check-out: 8:00-11:00. The hotel is a renovated farmhouse close to Walsrode centre. There is an onsite restaurant that serves local cuisine or if you want a snack why not try one of their homemade cakes which can be enjoyed on the summer terrace. There is an 18-hole golf course that is a short walk from the hotel. €49-119.
Bad Fallingbostel is a small town with a number of little shops and a large selection of restaurants. There is a large park in the centre of the town where you can relax by the stream.
Soltau is a large town with a variety of shops and a wide range of restaurants to choose from. There are a number of parks and building of interest to look at whilst you are there.
Bremen is a large city that has over 1200 years of history and has many original medieval buildings. There are plenty of restaurants and places to visit around the city, it is worth a visit.
Hanover is another large city with a variety of different things to do, the new town hall is worth a visit. If you want to see all 36 places of interest why not follow the red thread around the city.
|Routes through Walsrode|
|Cuxhaven ← Verden ←||N S||→ Merges into|