Walvis Bay is located at Namibia's west coast and the only commercial port of the country.
|Daily highs (°C)||20.4||19.1||20.4||19.1||19.6||18.7||18.3||16.5||15.7||16.9||17.6||19.5|
|Nightly lows (°C)||15.1||14.4||14.7||12.6||12.2||11.1||10.5||9.9||10.4||11.6||12.3||14.1|
The fasted way to get to Walvis Bay from Windhoek is tarred main road B2. It takes 5 hours and the road passes Swakopmund. It is a 20 minutes drive from Swakopmund.
Minibusses from Windhoek (departure from the taxi rank closed to Rhino Park hospital, 110N$) or from Swakopmund (taxirank out of town, 25N$) are awailible throughout the day. Not too comfortable, but the true African way of travelling.
Although the Mini Buses are slightly cheaper and are an experience, they have no fixed time schedule and are often overloaded. So check out these operators:
- Intercape operates a service from Windhoek via Okahandja and Swakopmund. Intercape service also extends to South Africa and Zimbabwe.
- Econolux Tel +264 64 205935 operates a service to Cape Town twice a week
Cars can easily be hired at Walvis Bay Airport.
- Wetlands. Three important wetlands exist for migratory birds. The lagoon is south-west of town and the habitat for flamingos and the endangered Damara tern.
- Flamingos. Flamingos feed in the shallow waters by the beach and in the wetlands.
There are quite some activities to do in Walvis Bay.
- Kite Surfing.. Head on down to the lagoon to ride the waves. Lessons and equipment by
- Go fishing., ☎ . Rods can be rented. You need a fishing permit though which can be bought at the ministry of fisheries for 14 N$ for 30 days (Inspectorate Office, 1st Street, Monday-Sunday 8-13). Speak to the locals about the various fishing spots.
- Dolphin watching., ☎ . Check out Mola Mola cruises for dolphin and seal cruises.
- Dune boarding. Buy a dune board in town and head 6km out of town to Dune 7 for an inexpensive thrill.
- [dead link]The Raft Restaurant Bistro and Bar (Just ask anybody for 'The Lagoon' it's on stilts in the water opposite The Pelican Bay Hotel, you can't miss it.), ☎ . A Great Restaurant with great atmosphere, on a pier in the lagoon, an absolute must if you are in Walvis Bay. Large restaurant offering a huge a la carte menu, and bistro and bar area with the best pizzas and burgers for miles. Definitely worth the drive from Swakopmund (a mere 35kms).
- Crazy Mama's. Funky bistro with pizza, salad and vegetarian options.
- Probst. A German cafe serving some of the best sandwiches. Try the "rawhak" roll.
- Bonaroma. Great Italian inspired food, lots of seafood as is common with Walvis Bay. Friendly staff
The Raft Restaurant and Bar, A lively bar and bistro offering great views and wood fired pizza in Bistro area. Top class Restaurant also within the same premises. +264 64 204877
- Pelican Bay Hotel.
- Langholm Hotel, 18-22 2nd Street West, Lagoon (Off 5th Road, turn left into 2nd Str West.), ☎ . Check-in: 13h00, check-out: 11h00. Great facility, friendly and helpful staff, great fun the NightCap bar - feels like home from home. Should be first choice for all persons visiting Walvis Bay. from N$655.