Walvis Bay is a city on Namibia's Atlantic coast. It has the country's only commercial port.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
- 1 Walvis Bay Airport (WVB IATA). Air Namibia provides flights within the country from Walvis Bay Airport, while South African Express offers flights to Cape Town and Johannesburg.
Minibuses from Windhoek (departure from the taxi rank closed to Rhino Park hospital, 110N$) or from Swakopmund (taxi rank out of town, 25N$) are available throughout the day. Not too comfortable, but the true African way of travelling.
Although the minibuses are slightly cheaper and are an experience, they have no fixed time schedule and are often overloaded. So check out these operators:
- Intercape operates a service from Windhoek via Okahandja and Swakopmund. Intercape service also extends to South Africa and Zimbabwe.
- Econolux Tel +264 64 205935 operates a service to Cape Town twice a week
Cars can be hired at Walvis Bay Airport.
- Wetlands. There are three important wetlands for migratory birds. The lagoon is south-west of town and the habitat for flamingos and the endangered Damara tern.
- Flamingos. Flamingos feed in the shallow waters by the beach and in the wetlands.
There are quite some activities to do in Walvis Bay.
- Dolphin watching, ☏ . Check out Mola Mola cruises for dolphin and seal cruises.
- Dune boarding. Buy a dune board in town and head 6km out of town to Dune 7 for an inexpensive thrill.
- Fishing, ☏ . Rods can be rented. You need a fishing permit though which can be bought at the ministry of fisheries for 14 N$ for 30 days (Inspectorate Office, 1st Street, Monday-Sunday 8-13). Speak to the locals about the various fishing spots.
- Kite surfing. Head on down to the lagoon to ride the waves. Lessons and equipment available.
- Surfing. Pro surfers come from around the globe when the conditions are right to surf the world's longest left-hand break with a sandy bottom at Donkey Bay, also known as Skeleton Bay, on the long Pelican Point sand spit that protects the port of Walvis Bay. You'll need a 4x4 vehicle to get to that spot.
- 1 Crazy Mama's. Funky bistro with pizza, salad and vegetarian options.
- Probst Willi Bakery. A German cafe serving some of the best sandwiches. Try the "rawhak" roll.
- The Raft Restaurant, The Esplanade (on a pier opposite the Pelican Bay Hotel), ☏ . A large top-class restaurant with great atmosphere, on a pier in the lagoon. The main restaurant offers a huge a la carte menu. There's also a bistro offering great views, wood-fired pizzas and the best burgers for miles. Also has a lively bar. A must if you are in Walvis Bay.
- 1 Pelican Bay Hotel.
- 2 Langholm Hotel, 18-22 2nd Street West, Lagoon (Off 5th Road, turn left into 2nd Str West.), ☏ . Check-in: 13h00, check-out: 11h00. Great facility, friendly and helpful staff, great fun the NightCap bar - feels like home from home. Should be first choice for all persons visiting Walvis Bay. from N$655.