Ward is a settlement in southern Marlborough. Named after Sir Joseph George Ward, Premier of New Zealand in the early 20th century.
Travelling north, Ward is 15 minutes away from Seddon to the north and another 25 min brings you to Blenheim on State Highway 1. Picton is a further 20 min. South of Ward is Kaikoura (1 hour) and Christchurch (3.5 hr).
There is no public transport to get around the district. Ward is small enough to get around by foot but as the attractions are out of town you will need a bicycle or car.
- The salt works at Lake Grassmere. Located north of Ward on the coast.
- London Hill Gardens, London Hill, Beach Road, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Ward Beach. A must for all rock hounds. From the car park walk north to the Chancet Rocks, limestone outcrops which shelter the rare Marlborough rock daisy. 90 min return. The foreshore is also home to a seal colony. Take care to not get too close (the Department of Conservation advise 20m) to the seals as they can move surprisingly quickly on land and have a nasty bite. There is a shorter walk across the Flaxbourne River to the southern pinnacles. 45 min return. Ward Beach is said to be a spectacular place to be in a storm, but it is not a safe swimming beach in any weather.
- Cape Campbell Walkway, Thorpelee Homestead, Beach Road Loop, ☎ , e-mail: , firstname.lastname@example.org. $160 (2 day) or $240 (4 day).
- Go swimming at Marfells Beach. A safer beach than much of the eastern coast, it's at the southern end of Lake Grassmere accessed off Marfells Beach Road. The Beach is 8 km off the state highway. There is a Department of Conservation camp site at the beach and a walk around the coast to the lighthouse at Cape Campbell. This is a free alternative to the Cape Campbell walkway but as it is along the beach care must be taken of the tide.
- Walk to the limestone Saw Cut Gorge.
The Old Ward Garage Cafe sells local olive oil and Isolation Merino baby products.
- Old Ward Garage Cafe, State Highway 1, ☎ .
- Flaxbourne Tearooms, State Highway 1, ☎ .
The East Coast Inn has a pub and tavern attached.
- A1 Ward Motel, State Highway 1, ☎ , fax: .
- East Coast Inn, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com.
|Routes through Ward|
|Blenheim ← Seddon ←||N S||→ Kaikoura → Christchurch|