The Shire of Baw Baw is a local government area in Victoria, Australia, in Gippsland. It covers an area of 4,031 km² (1,556 sq mi) and at the 2016 Census had a population of approximately 48,500.
It includes the towns of Drouin, Longwarry, Neerim South, Noojee, Trafalgar, Warragul and Yarragon.
V/Line, Victoria's country train service runs fast trains which stop at Warragul, Yarragon and Drouin.
The “Baw Baw Betty” shuttle connects Mt Baw Baw with V/Line trains from Warragul on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday (Tuesdays and Thursdays on request). Reservations are essential and must be booked and fully paid 24 hours prior to departure. Call 03 5165 1136.
- 1 Civic Park, Civic Place, Warragul Victoria. Civic Park in the town's centre has spectacular gardens and scenery and is a great place to visit for picnics or a fun day with the kids.
- 2 Ada Tree (Ada Tall Trees Reserve), 25 km Northwest of Noojee, ☏ . Walk to the Ada Tree, a huge and ancient Mountain Ash, which is estimated to be over 300 years old. The tree stands 76 metres high and 15 metres in circumference and is one of Victoria’s tallest trees. 1.8 km from the Ada River Road car park. Picnic and toilet facilities available.
- 3 Mt Baw Baw, ☏ . Baw Baw is a cheap and cheerful little ski resort that is suitable for the beginner/modest skier. It's a little more affordable than the more major resorts in Victoria (eg Hotham, Buller, Falls Creek). It also is a lot smaller and often goes most of the season without snow. Mt Baw Baw now has Australia's first and only BigAirBag - a variant on a fall cushion, used in the world of professional stunts, which is placed in front of a ski-jump so as to catch any fall from a jump.
- 4 Neerim South Playground, Main Neerim Road, Neerim South. The Neerim South Playground is a great place to break the drive. There is play equipment for young kids and a skate park with a bowl and ramps for bigger kids. The park also has good toilet facilities and free electric barbecues which are undercover in case of rain. There are sinks to wash up after your barbecue and just across the road is a supermarket for all your barbecue needs. Free.
- 5 Noojee Heritage Centre. The Noojee railway station. A steam train and small museum with historical photos and maps. This is also the beginning of the Noojee Trestle Bridge Rail Trail. Free.
- 6 Noojee Picnic Grounds. Barbecues, toilets, and a playground all on the banks of the La Trobe River. Free.
- 7 Noojee Trestle Bridge. A historical railway bridge. Free.
- 8 Noojee Water Wheel. A historical water wheel a short walk from town. Free.
- 9 Toorongo Falls (head east along the Mt Baw Baw Tourist Road from Noojee then turn left on to Toorongo Valley Road; the falls are at the end of the road). Toorongo Falls are a short drive from Noojee. Toorongo Falls are a 1.2-km return hike or a 2.2-km circuit. The circuit also include the Ampitheatre Falls. There is a free camping area located a short drive before reaching the falls with very basic toilets. Free.
- Yarragon. Promoting itself as a 'Colonial shopping village', Yarragon offers a range of gourmet delicacies, as well as interesting antique and craft shops.
- Ada River Wines.
- 10 Brandy Creek Estate, 570 Buln Buln Rd, Drouin East, ☏ .
- 11 Wild Dog Winery, Warragul-Korumburra Rd, Warragul.
- 1 Ada River Road Hike. 1.5. Hike along the Ada River Road between the junction of Dowey Spur Road and Ada River Road to The Ada Tall Trees Reserve (junction of Federal Road and Ada River Road). The trip is 4.7 km each way and takes approximately 1.5 hours each way (2.5 hours each way for a six year old child). This section of the Ada River Road is impassable to all vehicles including trail or mountain bikes and is only suitable to hikers. Free.
- 1 Little Red Duck Cafe, 1 Bennett St, Noojee, ☏ . 8AM-4PM Wed-Sun. Coffee, milkshakes, bacon and eggs, fish and chips.
- 2 The Old Bakehouse, 139 Main St, Neerim South, ☏ . 7AM-6PM, 7 days. The Old Bakehouse is much more than a bakery. They have coffee, milkshakes, pies, cakes, donuts, sandwiches, pizza, even fish and chips.
- 3 Piglets, 119 Main Road Neerim South, ☏ . From 8AM, 7 days. Everything home made on the premises using local produce where possible.
- 4 Sunny Creek Organic Fruit and Berry Farm, 69 Tudor Road, Trafalgar South, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. During peak season: 8AM-6PM daily. Certified organically-grown berries, apples and chestnuts, freshly picked or pick-your-own.
- 1 La Trobe River Camping Area, Ada River Road, Gentle Annie. A nice camping site with picnic tables and a toilet. A short walk to the La Trobe River. Free.
- Moose Head Lodge, Tanjil Bren, ☏ . Lodge accommodation far from the crowds. $150 per double, off peak.
- Neerim Country Cottages, 2470 Main Neerim Road, Neerim (on the road to Mt Baw Baw), ☏ . Family accommodation
- 2 Toorongo Falls Camping Area, Toorongo Valley Rd, Noojee. Campsite beside river. Basic composting toilets. Free.
- Toorongo River Chalets (Toorongo River Sanctuary), 105 Toorongo Valley Rd, Noojee, ☏ .
- Yarragon Motel, 119 Princes Highway Yarragon, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Three and a half star motel. Deluxe Queen size rooms from $110 all year round.
|Routes through Baw Baw|
|Sale ← Yarragon ←||N S||→ Melbourne|