Wasilla is a city of 9,000 people (2020) in Alaska. Wasilla is the last city of significant size on the Parks Highway northward; therefore, it is a frequent stopping point if traveling by car to Denali National Park, Fairbanks or other points north. It is most famous as the home town of Alaska Governor and 2008 Vice Presidential nominee Sarah Palin, who served as mayor of the city for six years.
- Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport (ANC IATA) is about an hour away from Wasilla, in Anchorage. It has flights to and from the continental United States, Canada, various airports in Alaska, and seasonally to Frankfurt.
Route 3, the Parks Highway, passes through the heart of the city and ends at the Glenn Highway east of it. You can take the Parks Highway south from Fairbanks, or the Glenn north from Anchorage or west from Canada.
- From Seattle, it's a 43-hour drive.
- From San Francisco, it's a 56-hour drive.
- From Anchorage, it's an hour's drive.
By public transportation
Wasilla is connected to Anchorage by Valley Mover service, and the rest of the valley by Mat Su Transit.
In general, you need a car to get around town.
Popular sightseeing trips include the Knik Glacier, Matanuska Glacier, Pioneer Peak.
- Colony House Museum, 316 E Elmwood Ave, Palmer 99645, ☏ .
- Wasilla Museum & Visitor Center (formerly Dorothy Page Museum), 391 Main St, ☏ , fax: . Tu-F 10AM-3PM. Cultural and historical heritage of Wasilla, Knik and Willow Creek. $3.
- Knik Museum and Mushers' Hall of Fame, Mile 13.9 Knik-Goose Bay Rd (south of Wasilla), ☏ . Jun-Aug: Th-Sa 1-6PM, Su 1-5PM. Historical museum in ghost town, picnic area. $5/person.
- Museum of Alaska Transportation and Industry, 3800 W Museum Dr, ☏ .
- 1 Finger Lake State Recreation Site, 7278 E Bogard Rd, ☏ .
In the summer there is mountain hiking in Hatcher Pass, at The Butte, Lazy Mountain, Crevasse Moraine and Matanuska Glacier. There are quite a few convenient whitewater streams in the area. For the canoeist there's the Wasilla Lakes canoe trail, Nancy Lakes canoe trail and Meadow Creek.
In the winter there's Nordic skiing in Hatcher Pass, Moose Meadows and at Government Peak. Outdoor ice skating is available on an astonishing variety of lakes, rivers and marshes. Wasilla and Palmer are to ice skating what Yosemite is to rock climbing.
Wasilla has several branches of chain stores for buying food, clothes and outdoor supplies, dominated by a huge Fred Meyer superstore. If you are going north and forgot to bring something important with you or buy it in Anchorage, you should be able to find it in Wasilla.
Wasilla contains a collection of standard fast-food and quick-casual eating options.
- Evangelo's Restaurant, 2530 E Parks Hwy., ☏ . Italian.
- Windbreak Café (The Trout House), 2201 E. Parks Highway, ☏ . M-Sa 6AM-11PM, Su 7AM-11PM. Diner-style food, local fishing furnishings. Trout's Place hotel and bar/lounge.
- 1 Donut King, 490 Main St, ☏ . Gyros, doughnuts and coffee. Wi-fi.
- 2 Mekong Thai Restaurant, 473 W Parks Hwy, ☏ . Authentic Thai food.
- 1 The Grape Tap, 322 N Boundary St, ☏ . Tu-Th 5-9PM, F Sa 5-10PM. Tapas restaurant and wine cellar with local, domestic and import beers in 1930s era pioneer home in downtown old Wasilla.
- Tailgaters Sports Bar & Grill, 161 W Parks Hwy (on the Parks Highway), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Su 8:30AM-midnight, M-Th 11AM-midnight, F Sa 11AM-2AM. Open since 2006. Drinks, food, darts, and karaoke. 20 HD TVs.
- Silver Fox Inn, Bar & Grill, Mile 50, Parks Hwy, ☏ . M-Th 4PM-midnight, F Sa 4PM-4AM. Pool and darts to play, and karaoke on the weekend.
Wasilla has a profusion of espresso stands that serve food as well.
- Mocha Moose, 240 N Boundary St. Drive thru coffee stand run by a longstanding barista in the area. +1 907-376-1225
Hotels and motels
- Grand View Inn and Suites, 2900 E Parks Hwy, ☏ .
- Lake Lucille Inn (Best Western), 1300 Lake Lucille Dr, ☏ .
- Alaska's Select Inn Motel, 3451 E Palmdale Dr, ☏ .
Bed and breakfast
- Lake Lucille Bed and Breakfast, 235 W Lake View Ave, ☏ .
Cabins and campgrounds
- Alaska Creekside Cabins, 3200 N Dolly Varden Dr, ☏ .
|Routes through Wasilla|
|Fairbanks ← Willow ←||N S||→ Palmer → Anchorage (via )|