Wedel is a city west of Hamburg. Wedel has a population of roughly 38,000. It is located at the banks of the river Elbe.
Wedel is situated on the right bank of the Elbe, approximately 17 km (11 mile), west of Hamburg. Its main claim to fame is the "ship welcoming machine" that greets every ship heading up the river to Hamburg with its flag and national anthem.
Wedel does not have its own airport, but the airport of Hamburg that offers a number of international and intercontinental connections is close by on the S1 line.
- 1 Willkommhöft Schiffsbegrüßungsanlage (Ship welcoming station) (in "Wedel Schulau" at the river "Elbe"). The main tourist attraction. Greets every ship that passes on its way to Hamburg with a flag dipping and the playing of its home countries national anthem over load speakers.
- 2 Wedeler Roland. A statue
- 3 Ernst-Barlach-Museum Wedel. Art museum
- 4 Stadtmuseum Wedel. A museum mostly dedicated to stuff like local history
A lot of shops are located at the "Bahnhofstraße".
- 1 Schulauer Fährhaus, Parnaßstraße 29, ☏ . Open daily from 11:00 to 23:00. Opens at 9:30 on Sunday. Located on the edge of the Elbe River, the Schulauer Fährhaus is part of the Willkommhöft. Enjoy some North Sea fish or Schnitzel as you watch the ships coming to or from Hamburg, with an announcer playing fanfare and giving interesting facts about the vessels. The best tables are on the waterfront, giving a clear and open view of the Elbe. Entrées range from €17.90 to 23.50.