(Redirected from Wheeler Ridge)
The Grapevine is a corridor along Interstate-5 in Kern County in California's San Joaquin Valley that descends from the Tehcachapi Mountains through Grapevine Canyon. Traditionally the Grapevine has included the route from the town of Lebec down to the town of Grapevine, although for organizational purposes this article also includes the nearby towns of Gorman, Frazier Park, and Wheeler Ridge.
The Grapevine is a route that leads through Grapevine Canyon, descending at a six percent grade from the summit of Tejon Pass to the valley below. The original steep and winding route was famous for its accidents until it was widened and straightened during 1933-34.
Travelers on Interstate-5 arrive from Los Angeles in the south or Buttonwillow to the north. Highway 99 branches off of the interstate heading north towards Bakersfield. During the winter the top of the route is frequently closed by snow, creating long delays (the main alternative route is Highway 101 to the west).
- Outlets at Tejon, 5701 Outlets at Tejon Pkwy (Wheeler Ridge), ☎ . 10AM-8PM daily. Outlet mall with more than 70 stores.
- Mauricio's Grill and Cantina, 5701 Dennis McCarthy Dr (Wheeler Ridge), ☎ . Mexican.
- Petro Travel Plaza (Wheeler Ridge).
- Travel Centers (Wheeler Ridge).
- Best Western Liberty Inn, 5521 Dennis McCarthy Dr (Wheeler Ridge), ☎ , fax: +1 661 858-2407.
- Holiday Inn Express, 612 Wainwright Ct (Lebec), ☎ , toll-free: , fax: +1 661 248-1601. Indoor pool, heated whirlpool, fitness center, free breakfast, free wireless internet. Pets allowed. $100.
- Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham, 5620 Del Sol Dr (Wheeler Ridge), ☎ , fax: +1 661 241-6725.
- Motel 6, 51541 Peace valley Rd (Lebec), ☎ . Free wireless internet, pets allowed. $60+.
- Maricopa - Located west of The Grapevine on Highway 166, this oil & agriculture town was the site of one of the largest oil spills in history when the Lakeview Gusher unleashed nine million barrels of oil onto the surrounding countryside.
- Bakersfield - Nicknamed "the country music capital of the West Coast", Bakersfield is the largest city in the southern San Joaquin Valley and is thus the best option for those seeking lodging, transportation, or other services.
|Routes through The Grapevine|
|Sacramento ← Buttonwillow ←||N S||→ Castaic → Los Angeles|
|Fresno ← Bakersfield ←||N S||→ END|
|Santa Maria ← Maricopa ←||W E||→ END|