Wikivoyage is a growing concern – as a project and as a travel guide. This page is for recording some milestones in Wikivoyage's history (or future), and for setting up some milestones along the way of where we want to go. It's for gauging our progress, looking forward and looking back.
Figures below refer only to the English version of Wikivoyage. See Wikimedia_News to see the milestones across all language versions over the years.
- December 10, 2006 - Wikivoyage (German version) launched
- August 23, 2012 - Project accepted by the Wikimedia community
- November 10, 2012 - Project launched on Wikimedia servers (in beta)
- January 10, 2013 - The English Wikivoyage has reached 100,000 registered users.
- January 15, 2013 - Official opening
- February 21, 2013 - Tourist Office launched
- March 26, 2013 - New Main Page implemented
- June 17, 2013 - Site-wide implementation of banners
- August 23, 2014 - The English Wikivoyage reached 1,000,000 registered users
- July 30, 2020 - All Canadian articles became usable, making it the first large country to have a fully usable guide
- August 30, 2020 - The English Wikivoyage has reached 30,000 articles.
- First newspaper article about Wikivoyage
- Travel Site Built on Wiki Ethos Now Bedevils Its Owner, New York Times 9 September 2012.
- First mention in the fake news
- Skift: Jimmy Wales talks Wikivoyage on the Colbert Report 9 January 2013.
- Page view statistics
- All language versions of Wikivoyage