Wikivoyage:User ban nominations
User bans are put into practical effect by using a Mediawiki software feature to block edits to any page (except pages in that banned user's user talk namespace) by the banned user.
Add nominations for user blocks to the list below, but please do so only after reviewing Project:How to handle unwanted edits. After a nomination has been made, the nominator is responsible for ensuring that appropriate notice is given on the allegedly delinquent User's Talk page of the nomination made here.
In general the preferred way of handling problem users is through the use of soft security. In the case of automated spam attacks the Project:Spam filter can also be a valuable tool for stopping unwanted edits.
For a history of older nominations see Project:User ban nominations/Archive.
User:Midwestern Social Democrat and User:Resident of Roberto
The User:Midwestern Social Democrat account was created at 00:19, 30 March 2021 and commenced editing Illinois articles. Third edit was to create a new article on Future City, a near-ghost town in Illinois. Fifth edit also creation of a new article, Dale (Indiana). They made a few more edits until 00:56, 30 March 2021. The User:Resident of Roberto account was created 4 minutes later at 01:00 30 March 2021. It created an article on Roberto (Illinois), a fake location, so is ipso facto a vandalism account. Midwestern Social Democrat's next edit, about 15 hours later, was to say in the Pub that they are an Illinois resident and that Roberto (Illinois) is fake. Midwestern Social Democrat and Resident of Roberto's edits share a certain slightly unusual editing characteristic (which I'm not disclosing). I suspect they are sock puppets of each other. User:Libertarianmoderate is indefinitely banned at WV and globally locked on Wikimedia. Their home page says they have lived in Illinois most of their life. Like Midwestern Social Democrat, they have a username with a political meaning. I checked some of LM's edits and they contain the same editing characteristic as these other two editors.
- Indef ban of User:Resident of Roberto as a vandalism-only account.
- Consideration of indef ban of User:Midwestern Social Democrat, if others agree that it is likely part of a pair of socks with the Resident of Roberto vandal. If there is doubt about that, we could make a CheckUser request for these two accounts. I think the pairing of socks is sufficient grounds for banning, without needing confirmation that they are also socks of LM, but if others agree it is LM, obviously that strengthens the case for banning. If a CheckUser request was made for the first two accounts, LM could be included also, but that might not bear fruit due to changes in connections over time.
- I came to the exact same conclusion as you, only I was going to wait until User:Midwestern Social Democrat made an obviously LM edit, which he inevitably will if he's the same person. Resident of Roberto could also be banned immediately as a VOA. For these reasons, I don't think a checkuser is an appropriate use of anyone's time, but won't insist against it.--ThunderingTyphoons! (talk) 09:59, 31 March 2021 (UTC)
- Support - He's up to no good. SHB2000 (talk) 10:44, 31 March 2021 (UTC)
- Support - Nurg makes a convincing case. Ground Zero (talk) 11:35, 31 March 2021 (UTC)
- I had the same gut feeling that they are LibMod and therefore decided to watch their page. That's one of the reasons I gave the welcome message (the other being giving the benefit of the doubt) Hobbitschuster (talk) 12:11, 31 March 2021 (UTC)
- Why are we wasting time debating whether to ban such a painfully obvious LibMod sock? Support indefinite ban for both accounts and please remember that WV:How to handle unwanted edits allows us to do so summarily in cases like this. -- AndreCarrotflower (talk) 14:48, 31 March 2021 (UTC)
- Support - it was somewhat obvious with this username: a sockpuppet of LibMod. TT and Andre have said it all. Ibaman (talk) 14:54, 31 March 2021 (UTC)