Wilpattu National Park is in Sri Lanka
- Wilpattu National Park was opened as a wildlife sanctuary in 1905, and became a national park in 1938.
- Wilpattu national park is must see place when you come to Sri Lanka. It measures up to 1,317 km² and has a beautiful landscape that would truly be a new experience for you.
Flora and fauna
- There are many types of vegetation as well as animals in Wilpattu. They are what make it more unique from the rest.
Birds are always common in national parks. Many birds roam around in the area, mostly seen in ponds, lakes and other water sources within the park.
- Reptiles like crocodiles rest beneath the waters of Wilpattu. You can see them sun-bathing at certain times. The most common type of reptile found in the park are the monitor lizards.
- Inter-monsoonal rains in March and the north-east monsoon from December to February are the only sources of rainfall to the area.
Fees and permits
- Vehicle fees In respective order
Jeep/car/van/bus= Rs. 250/125/250/650 -For private Safari jeep - USD40
- Entrance fee - USD15
- Entrance fee for school children - Rs. 20
- VAT- 15%
- service charge- USD8
Travelling can be done in several vehicles, fees will apply. Vehicles such as Tuk-Tuks and Motor-bikes are prohibited. A jeep is the best possible option.
- Kudiramalei point, Wilpattu national park, ☏ . Daily 6:29AM to 6PM.
- Leopard trails, Wilpattu National Park, 61300, ☏ (mobile).
- Wilpattu tree house, Wilpattu Sanctuary Rd Hunuwilagama, Horiwila, Wilpattu road, 50200,, Nochchiyagama, ☏ (mobile). Rs. 11,123.
- the Backwaters Lodge - Wilpattu, Wilpattu National Park Hotel Road, Eluwankulama 61308, ☏ (mobile). Rs. 13,983.
- Wilpattu is a large park, filled with many types of animals, such as crocodiles and snakes. It is important that you do not get out of your vehicle and that you follow your guide's advice, because he has a lot of experience. Do not feed any animals because as the phrase goes 'you give a rat a cookie, it's gonna want the milk'. If you see any signs of danger, alert the driver or the guide, as he will act on it as soon as possible.