Established by an ex-convict in 1817, and positioned on the Hawkesbury River, one hour north of Sydney, this small town offers an ideal day trip to the countryside with colonial architecture, history, parks and picnics by the river. As the name suggests, there are some car ferries here that will take you across the river.
Driving is the most practical way to reach here. Taking the Old Northern Road up from Sydney will take you about 1 hour.
Coming from St Albans is the car ferry for 1 St Albans Road and coming from Gosford is the 2 Wisemans Ferry Road. Ferries are free to use and run 24 hours and 7 days a week, although a long queue may occur on holiday weekends. There are no alternative bridges to use in the area.
The area doesn't have much public transport. To get here from Sydney you should take the train to Windsor Station in Sydney's north west, and then catch the Bus route 663 which takes about 1 hour.
Walk or cycle. Some 'nearby' attractions are quite far however.
- 1 Tobruk Sheep Station, 5050 Old Northern Rd, Maroota NSW 2756, ☏ , email@example.com. A showcase farm where you can see working dogs and sheep. $5.
- 2 Great North Road Convict Trail, LOT 139 Old Great Northern Rd, New South Wales 2775. Part of the Northern Road original trail built by convicts in the 19th century. Head further north and you'll reach the world-heritage section of the trail, mostly in Dharug National Park.
- 1 Wisemans Ferry Golf Club, 5564 Old Northern Rd, ☏ .
- 2 Wisemans Ferry Park. Public park by the river, with a beach, bbq facilities, playgrounds and a good deal of parking. Fishing is allowed. There is a small cafe next to the ferry entrance.
- 3 Dharug National Park, Wisemans Ferry Road (There is an entrance about 5 minutes drive down Wisemans Ferry road. See Park website for all options.). On the doorstep of Wisemans Ferry, this is a large national park with plenty of hiking and Mountain Bike trails.
- 4 NSW Water SKI Gardens, 2916 River Rd, Wisemans Ferry NSW 2775. Waterskiing on the river
- 5 Academy of Floral Art, 72 Singleton Mills, Wisemans Ferry NSW 2775, ☏ .
- 6 Hawkesbury Cruiser Hire, 3008 River Rd, Wisemans Ferry NSW 2775, ☏ . Hire a boat for a few days
- 1 Wisemans Ferry Grocer, 2 Old Northern Rd, Wisemans Ferry NSW 2775, ☏ . The main food shop in town, also has a small cafe service with warm food.
- 2 Ferry Artists Gallery, 2 Old Northern Road, Wisemans Ferry NSW 2775, ☏ . Art from local artists
- 3 Kids Clobber, 270 Settlers Rd, Wisemans Ferry NSW 2775, ☏ . Baby clothing
It is ideal to bring a picnic to Wiseman's Ferry. If driving up from Sydney then there are plenty of farms selling fresh fruit at the side of the road, especially around the town of Dural. There is a small supermarket in Wisemans Ferry but you will probably want to bring your own food.
- 1 Wombat Cafe, Wisemans Ferry Rd, Gunderman NSW 2775 (Drive about 10 minutes down Wisemans Ferry Road from Wisemans Ferry). Positioned with good views over the Hawkesbury River.
- 2 Riverbend Restaurant, 5564 Old Northern Road, Wisemans Ferry NSW 2775, ☏ .
- 3 Busby's Café Restaurant, 12/5557 Old Northern Rd, Wisemans Ferry NSW 2775, ☏ .
There are plenty of motels and retreats in and around the town.
- 1 Retreat at Wisemans, Old Northern Road, Wisemans Ferry, NSW 2775, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 Forgotten Valley Retreat, Singleton Road, Wisemans Ferry, NSW 2775, ☏ .
- 3 Wisemans Ferry Inn Hotel, 6 Old Northern Rd, Wisemans Ferry NSW 2775, ☏ . The hotel dates from 1827 and is situated in the town itself. The accommodation is in motel style fibro units behind the hotel, and has no historical significance.
- 4 Able Hawkesbury River Houseboats, 3008 River Rd, Wisemans Ferry NSW 2775, ☏ .
- 5 Koveda Holiday Park, 2868 River Road, Wisemans Ferry NSW 2775, ☏ .
- 6 Rivervalley Lodge, 1 Settlers Rd, Wisemans Ferry NSW 2775, ☏ .
Although remote and in a valley, you can still get reliable 4G (only) connections for Optus and Telstra services. There is no Vodafone at all. (December 2019).
- Gosford is a long (77km) but scenic drive east along the Hawkesbury River
- Dharug National Park is just across the river.
- St Albans is a scenic 1 hour drive to the north
- Yengo National Park is 25km to the north
- Some of Sydney's oldest settlements in the City of Hawkesbury area to the south west
- Explore Tourist Drive 33