Jump to navigation Jump to search
Wonsan (원산, 元山市) is a city in the Donghae Coast region of North Korea.
This is a major port city, naval base and administrative capital of Kangwon Province. It is an area rarely visited by foreign tourists.
The siege of Wonsan during the Korean War was the longest in modern American naval history.
There are a few train stations connected to the rest of the country and to the capital Pyongyang, including 1 Wonsan Station and 2 Galma Station.
There is a ferry from Wonsan to Niigata in Japan called the Mangyongbong-92 that sails 20-30 times a year. It is generally restricted to Japanese nationals with a current family connection to North Korea. The crossing takes about 28 hours.
- 3 Wonsan Kalma International Airport (WOS IATA). Not available for use by foreigners, although Air Koryo do fly to Pyongyang and Chongjin. There are general plans to turn it eventually into a civilian airport for both domestic and international flights.
- 1 Songdowon International Children's Union Camp, Songdowon Pleasure Ground. Built in 1993. It is a reasonably good three-star hotel with plenty of activities and events for up to 1,200 children.
- Chonsam Cooperative Farm. Situated on the outskirts of Wonsan, the Chonsam Cooperative Farm is one of the few places where foreign visitors are allowed to observe a working farm.
- 2 Haean Fun Fair. Funfair by the sea.
- 3 Wonsan History Museum.
- 1 Wonsan Beach.
- 2 Masik Ski Resort, Pŏptong-kun, Kangwŏn (20km outside of Wonsan on the Pyongyang-Wonsan highway). North Korea's first ski resort, and foreigners can visit. Uritours are known to be able to arrange this.
- 3 [formerly dead link] Wonsan Air Festival. Held for the first time in September 2016 at Wonsan airport, this was the first Air Festival open to foreigners and demonstrated military and civilian aircraft.
- Kaeson Hotel, Haean Square. Offers 164 rooms. €60-85.
- 1 Tongmyong Hotel, Songdowon Beach. Good service with a billard and a bookshop. €60-85.
- 2 Songdowon Tourist Hotel, Songdowon Pleasure Ground. Offers 83 rooms. €45-60.
- 3 Sijungho Rest House (Wonsan Beach).
The Kumgangsan mountain resort is close by.