This is arguably the most famous small town in the world, associated with the festival that was originally supposed to be here, but was actually held 65 miles away. It has been a center for the arts for a full century, and even the police cars have a logo that says "Colony of the Arts."
Woodstock, at an altitude of 520 feet, sits among the Catskill mountains, and is a picturesque village without a single traffic light, whose shops largely cater to tourists and spread out only along a few blocks. Weekends and especially summer weekends find it crowded with visitors, while hippy-types play drums continuously in the village green. Actual year round residents number only 5,000 -- and this includes outlying hamlets such as Lake Hill and Willow, all of which are beautifully unpolluted and tranquil.
- By car
- from the South, NYS Thruway Exit 19 (Kingston), State Route 28 West, State Route 375 North, State Route 212 West leads to the green at the center of Woodstock.
- from the North, NYS Thruway Exit 20 (Saugerties), State Route 212 West leads to the green at the center of Woodstock.
- By bus
- Frequent daily buses North from New York City and South from Oneonta.
- By train
- Amtrak to Rhinecliffe in Dutchess County and taxi from there.
- Amtrak or MetroNorth to Poughkeepsie and taxi from there.
- Bearsville Theatre, 291 Tinker St. (Route 212) Bearsville, ☎ . Stage for live musicians, radio station and restaurants adjacent.
- River Rock Health Spa, 62 Ricks Road (Between Route 212 & Glasco Turnpike), ☎ . year-round, closed Tue-Wed. Health and beauty spa devoted to natural wellness. Eight treatment rooms, a relaxation lounge, a small conference room/dining area, private steam and sauna units in a lovely country setting with mountain views. Parking, wheelchair accessible.
- Cucina, 109 Mill Hill Rd., ☎ . Italian.
- Joshua's, 51 Tinker Street, ☎ . Middle Eastern
- Garden Café on the Green, 6 Old Forge Road, ☎ . Vegetarian
- Landau Grill, 17 Mill Hill Road, ☎ .
- The Bear Café, 295 Tinker Street, Bearsville, ☎ . Bear Café (café, +1 845-679-5555) and The Little Bear (Chinese, +1 845-679-8899) are streamside beside the Bearsville Theatre, approx 1 mile west of Woodstock.
- Additional options are available in Saugerties, three to four miles east of Woodstock.
- Enchanted Manor, 23 Rowe Rd., ☎ . B&B on eight acres with outdoor pool, hot tub, waterfall.
- Twin Gables, 73 Tinker St., ☎ . 1926 guest house with period furnishings, local art for sale, wi-fi.
- 1 Woodstock Inn on the Millstream, 48 Tannery Brook Rd., ☎ , toll-free: , e-mail: email@example.com. Rooms and breakfasts, on beautiful grounds along a cascading millstream. $137-$375.
|Routes through Woodstock|
|Ends at ←||W E||→ Saugerties → END|