Wudinna is a small town on the Eyre Highway across the base of the Eyre Peninsula. The area is often referred to as "Granite Country" as it is home to many amazing granite rock formations. Set among prime farming land, the traveller can discover nature's beauty and diversity while also experiencing real local outback hospitality.
It's a three hour drive from Port Augusta via the Eyre Highway.
- Pildappa Rock, along Pildappa Road, 15 km from the neighbouring town of Minnipa. Pildappa Rock is a striking granite plug that forms several wave walls. It is popular with caravanners but you can go out just for a look and walk to the top for district views. Note that most of the road to the rock is dirt - half is in excellent condition, the other half is OK but keep your speed down.
- 1 Gawler Ranges National Park (approx. 40 km (25 mi) from Minnipa & Wudinna townships), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A site of unspoiled beauty any time throughout the year, however the best time to visit the Gawler Ranges National Park is between April & October when spring wildflowers are in bloom. Combine this with historic infrastructure, deep colours of the majestic volcanic hills and gorges and the stark, pure white of the many salt lakes in the area, a visit to the Gawler Ranges is a truly unique experience. The park is best accessed by high clearance vehicles and a permit is required for anyone wishing to visit the park. Permits can be obtained at self-service locations at Park entries or at the Gawler Ranges Visitor Information Outlet (Wudinna Telecentre) at 44 Eyre Highway. $10 day entry ($8 concession), camping $11 per night.
- 2 The Australian Farmer Granite Sculpture, 44 Eyre Highway (next door to the Wudinna & Districts Telecentre, along Eyre Highway), ☏ , email@example.com. Designed & crafted by stone mason Marijan Bekic, this magnificent sculpture was proudly funded by sponsorships within the Wudinna community and afar. The project took 11 years to plan and 2 years to sculpt from 2 pieces of local pink granite onsite.
- 3 Mount Wudinna, Mount Wudinna Access Road (11 km (6.8 mi) from Wudinna township). Mount Wudinna is one of Australia's largest granite monoliths at 261 m (856 ft) tall. Facilities include: picnic shelters, BBQ, parking area and toilets. Camping not permitted.
- Polda Rock (Dam), Standley Road. Located 7 km east of Wudinna, Polda Rock has been developed by the Wudinna Council as a recreation reserve. A beautiful picnic spot with birdlife, BBQ, toilets and an interesting walk around the base of the rock. Camping not permitted. FREE.
- Tcharkulda Rock (Hill), Bockelberg Road, Minnipa. This granite formation is 4 km from Minnipa and is covered in interesting rock formations and enormous boulders. This is an intriguing place and for that reason would probably be the most photographed rock in the area. Facilities include: picnic shelters, BBQ, toilets and walking trails.
- Wudinna Granite Trail, Standley Road. Walking and bike trail. Take the opportunity to get in touch with nature by cycling or walking along the 9-km trail from the Wudinna township to Little Mount Wudinna. The most spectacular section of the trail is through Polda Rock Recreation Reserve, where there is abundant wildlife in the remnant mallee scrub.
- Gawler Ranges Wilderness Safaris, ☏ , toll-free: 1800243343 (within Australia), firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are interested in seeing our district in detail by 4WD, this is certainly the best way to do so. You will enjoy local experienced tour guides who work closely with the landowners and have access to all the best sites throughout the Gawler Ranges, coastline and beyond.
- Lil Birdie, 51 Ballantyne Street. Gifts & homewares, women's fashion.
- Alicia's Cafe, Ballantyne St (towards one end of the main street (one block off the highway)), ☏ . 8AM-4PM. Excellent and cheap cafe, by outback standards. Sandwiches, cakes and daily lunch specials. Also sells flowers & giftware. $10.
- Wudinna Bakery, 47 Ballantyne St, Wudinna SA5652 (Near IGA Supermarket), ☏ . 9AM-5PM. Excellent pastries made on site. Great coffee and sandwiches available.
- Wudinna Hotel Motel, 17 Burton Terrace, ☏ . Dining room, takeaway meals.
- The Sturts Restaurant (Gawler Ranges Motel & Caravan Park), 72 Eyre Highway, email@example.com. À la carte menu with an extensive variety of both local and interstate wines. Room Service available to in-house guests.
- Wudinna Foodland, 49 Ballantyne Street, ☏ . M-F 8:30AM - 6PM, Sa 9AM - noon. Grocery Store
- Golden Wattle Roadhouse (Mobil), 64 Eyre Highway, ☏ . 7AM - 9PM. Dine in or takeaway.
- Wudinna Caltex Roadhouse, 66 Eyre Highway, ☏ . 6:30AM - 9PM.
- Wudinna Community Club, 43 Medley Terrace. F Sa 6-8PM. Dining room - Friday & Saturday nights.
- Wudinna Hotel Motel, 17 Burton Terrace, ☏ .
- Gawler Ranges Motel & Caravan Park, 72 Eyre Highway, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Minnipa Hotel Motel, 19 Railway Terrace, Minnipa, ☏ .
- 1 Minnipa Apex Park (free camping), Eyre Highway, Minnipa (Along the highway - also referred to as the "Concrete Crappa"). Free.
- 2 Pildappa Rock (free camping), Pildappa Road (unsealed, 15km from Minnipa). BBQ, shelter & toilet facilities Free.
- Wudinna & Districts Telecentre Inc, 44 Eyre Highway, ☏ , email@example.com. 9AM - 5PM (lunch 12:30-1:30PM). Free WiFi, Visitor Information
The Gawler Ranges are north from Wudinna.