Northern Wuhan is the northern part of Wuhan. It includes the administrative districts of Huangpi (黄陂区) and Xinzhou (新洲区).
Huangpi's CBD can be reached by taking bus no. 292 from Hankou Railway Station to the Huangpi Bus Terminal.
There are frequent buses to Xinzhou from the Xinrong Bus Station in Hankou.
- 2 Huangpi Bus Terminal (黄陂汽车客运中心, 黄陂客运中心, Huangpi Passenger Transport Centre), 123 Mulan Street, Huangpi District (黄陂区木兰大街123号) (Near the intersection of Mulan Street (木兰大街) and Diaoyu Avenue (钓鱼道)), ☏ , . This bus terminal is the main transport hub for tourists in Huangpi District. Special tourist buses operate from here and convey passengers to most of the major tourist attractions in the area.
- 3 Zhucheng Bus Terminal (邾城客运站), Wenchang Avenue, Xinzhou District (新洲区文昌大道). The main bus station in Xinzhou District. As of March 2020, a new station building is under construction, so in the meantime, bus services are operating from a temporary bus station outside the construction site. The new station building is expeected to be completed by October 2020.
The southern part of Huangpi District is accessible by metro train. Lines 1, 2 and 21 all have stations in Huangpi District. Line 21 extends to the southwestern corner of Xinzhou Distict.
Only a very small number of tourist attractions in Huangpi and Xinzhou districts can be reached by metro. The rest require a bus or car trip.
- 1 Dayuwan Village (大余湾村), Shuangquan Village, Mulan Township, Huangpi District (黄陂区木兰乡双泉村) (Take bus no. 292 from Hankou Railway Station to the Huangpi Bus Terminal (黄陂客运中心), then catch bus no. p806 and get off at the final stop), ☏ . 08:00-17:00. One of the best preserved traditional villages in the Wuhan region. Has around 50 stone buildings dating from the Ming and Qing dynasties. ¥60.
- 2 Jinligou Tourist Resort (锦里沟旅游城 Jinli Valley Tourist Resort, 锦里沟 Jinligou), Daoshichong Village, Caidian Township, Huangpi District (黄陂区蔡店乡道士冲村) (Take bus no. 292 from Hankou Railway Station to the Huangpi Bus Terminal (黄陂客运中心), then catch bus no. p802 and get off at the Jinligou bus stop), ☏ (tourist enquiries), (hotel bookings), email@example.com. 08:00-20:00. A tourist resort in a scenic mountain valley with a Tujia minority theme. Cultural performances are held here daily. Other amusements include a glass bridge and a 1800-metre long mountain slide. Accommodation is available at the site. ¥80.
- 3 Mulan Grassland (木兰草原 Mulan Caoyuan), Zhangjiazha Village, Wangjia River Town, Huangpi District (黄陂区王家河镇张家榨村) (Take bus no. 292 from Hankou Railway Station to the Huangpi Bus Terminal (黄陂客运中心, then catch bus no. p801 and get off at the first stop - the Mulan Caoyuan bus stop), ☏ , . Normally open 08:00-20:00. Mulan Grassland closed in November 2019 for renovations but is expected to reopen in 2020. According to legend, this is where Hua Mulan learnt to ride a horse and use a bow and arrow. The area is now a kind of Mongolian-esque theme park. Visitors can practice archery, go horse riding, rafting, rowing, grass skiing or ice skating (though these activities attract extra charges). There is also a special performance, which depicts some of the cavalry battles from the Mulan legend. General admission is ¥78. Tickets for the performance cost ¥120.
- 4 Mulan Heaven Lake (木兰天池 Mulan Tianchi), Shimen, Changxuanling Subdistrict, Huangpi District (黄陂区长轩岭街石门) (Take bus no. 292 from Hankou Railway Station to the Huangpi Bus Terminal (黄陂客运中心, then catch bus no. p70 and get off at the Mulan Tianchi bus stop), ☏ , , toll-free: , firstname.lastname@example.org. 07:30-17:30, no entry after 16:30. General admission is ¥70. Walking across the glass bridge costs an extra ¥110. The cable car is ¥160 going up, ¥140 going down or ¥210 for both directions.
- 5 Mulan Lake Scenic Area (木兰湖风景区) (Take bus no. 292 from Hankou Railway Station to the Huangpi Bus Terminal (黄陂客运中心), then catch bus no. p801 and get off at Mulan Lake Square (木兰湖广场), which is on the west shore of the lake), ☏ , . Normally open 08:00-17:00, Open 07:30-17:30 during summer. Not to be confused with Mulan Heaven Lake. ¥50 (including boat tour and access to Bird Island).
- 6 Mulan Qingliang Village Scenic Area (木兰清凉寨景区), Caidian Subdistrict, Huangpi District (黄陂区蔡店街道) (About 5 km north of JInligou. Take bus no. 292 from Hankou Railway Station to the Huangpi Bus Terminal (黄陂客运中心), then either catch one of the special tourist buses (which run four times a day) or catch bus no. p802 and get off at the final stop, which is in the parking lot just outside the park's southern entrance), ☏ , toll-free: . 08:00-17:00. Features a traditional village surrounded by lakes, rolling hills, forests and flower gardens. Besides walking around and enjoying the scenery, visitors can also partake in a range of activities such as skiing, boating, swimming, riding a cliff swing, or simply relaxing in the hot springs. The village itself is called Luojiashan Village (刘家山村) and lies at the far northern end of the park. General admission is ¥80.
- 7 Mulan Rose Garden (木兰玫瑰花园), No. 1 Luojiadawan, Shengtian Village, Wangjiahe Subdistrict, Huangpi District (黄陂区王家河街胜天村罗家大湾1号) (Take bus no. 292 from Hankou Railway Station to the Huangpi Bus Terminal (黄陂客运中心), then catch bus no. p801 and get off at the fourth stop - the Rose Garden (玫瑰花园) bus stop), ☏ , email@example.com. 08:00-17:00. The largest rose garden in central China. Has over 160 varieties of roses covering an area of around 2800 mu (about 187 hectares). The flowers begin to bloom in March or April and can be seen until around November. ¥80.
- 8 Mulanshan Scenic Area (木兰山风景区, Mount Mulan Scenic Area), Huangpi District (黄陂区) (Take bus no. 292 from Hankou Railway Station to the Huangpi Bus Terminal (黄陂客运中心), then catch either bus no. p803 or one of the special tourist buses that go to Mulanshan), ☏ , toll-free: , firstname.lastname@example.org. 08:00-19:00. Mulanshan (or Mount Mulan) is named after Hua Mulan, the legendary female Chinese warror who is now widely known outside China thanks to Disney. According to some versions of the story, Hua Mulan lived in the area with her grandmother before joining the army. There is a small museum about Hua Mulan near the entrance to the scenic area. The mountain is dotted with old Buddhist and Taoist temples, some of which date back to the Sui and Tang dynasties. See here for the official map. ¥80; some individual sights charge their own fees; the temple area charges ¥30. The cable car charges ¥35 for a return ticket.
- 9 [formerly dead link] Shengtian Farm Scenic Area (武汉木兰胜天农庄风景区, 木兰胜天风景区, Mulan Shengtian Scenic Area), Wangjiahe Town, Huangpi District (黄陂区王家河镇) (Take bus no. 292 from Hankou Railway Station to the Huangpi Bus Terminal (黄陂客运中心), then catch bus no. p801 and get off at the Shengtian Farm (胜天农庄) bus stop), ☏ , , , , email@example.com. 08:30-17:00, no tickets sold after 16:00. A hilly scenic area adjacent to a water reservoir. Offers a range of activities, including hiking, rock climbing, ziplining, rafting, go-kart racing and more. Special events such as music and cultural festivals are sometimes held here. Accommodation is available on site. The standard ticket price is ¥90, which is discounted to ¥70 for children over 1.2 metres in height and adults aged 60 to 70. Children under 1.2 metres in height and adults over 70 are granted free admission.
- 10 Yaojiashan Scenic Area (姚家山风景区, Mount Yaojia Scenic Area), Yaojiashan Village, Caidian Subdistrict, Huangpi District (黄陂区蔡店街道姚家山村) (Take bus no. 292 from Hankou Railway Station to the Huangpi Bus Terminal (黄陂客运中心), then catch a long-distance bus to the town of Caidian (蔡店) and transfer to a bus heading to Yaojiashan (姚家山). As of 2019, there were three buses from Caidian to Yaojiashan per day), ☏ , , . 09:00-17:00. A tourist resort in a scenic mountain village. The village played an important role in the Second World War, being the site of a base for the Fifth Division of the New Fourth Army (a Communist-controlled unit of the Chinese national army). The old army office has been preserved as a heritage site and there is a museum nearby. The entry fee is ¥80. Accommodation is available for ¥418 per night.
- 11 Yunwushan Scenic Area (云雾山风景区, Mount Yunwu Scenic Area), Paotongdian Village, Lijiaji Town, Huangpi District (黄陂区李家集镇泡桐店村) (Take bus no. 292 from Hankou Railway Station to the Huangpi Bus Terminal (黄陂客运中心), then catch bus no. p111 and get off at the final stop. Finally, transfer to bus no. p36. The bus terminates just outside the visitor centre), ☏ , toll-free: . 08:00-17:30. Best known for its many azaleas, which are in full bloom during the months of April and May. General admission is ¥65. A combo ticket, which includes both general admission plus entry to the wax museum, the ice sculpture museum and Dinosaur Valley is also available for ¥100. The slide costs ¥25 and the sightseeing cars charge ¥10 person.
- 12 Panlongcheng National Archaeological Park (盘龙城国家考古遗址公园), 1 Panlong Avenue, Longcheng Economic Development Zone, Huangpi District (黄陂区盘龙城经济开发区盘龙大道一号) (Panlongcheng Metro Station, Line 2. The nearest bus stop is the Panlong Avenue Xiaochen Bay (盘龙大道肖陈湾) bus stop, which is served by bus routes 286, 289, 290, 296, 299 and p142), ☏ . 09:00-17:00, no entry after 16:00, closed on Mondays. One of the largest archaeological sites of the bronze-age Erligang civilization, which flourished in central China from 1500 to 1460 BC. Artefacts are displayed at the 13 Panlongcheng Site Museum (盘龙城遗址博物院). Visitors are required to make a booking before visiting. Bookings can be made by phone or by WeChat. Free.
- 14 Plough Age Agricultural Park (农耕年华农业风情园, 农耕年华 Plough Age), Zhongxin Road, Wuhu Farm, Huangpi District (黄陂区武湖农场中心路) (Take a metro train to Wuhu Station on Line 21. After exiting the station, head west down Hanshi Avenue (汉施大道) until you find the bus stop named Hanshi Highway & Xuwan (汉施公路徐湾). From there, you will need to catch a bus no. p28 heading in an eastward direction. Bus no. p28 terminates outside the park's main entrance), ☏ , . 09:00-17:30. Designed to educate people about agriculture. Features a variety of different gardens, as well as greenhouses, animals pens and a fish pond. Visitors can pick their own fruit and catch their own fish. There is also a museum where you can learn about traditional Chinese farming techniques. Other features of the park include a re-creation of a traditional village, as well as facilities for sports such as tennis, badminton and table tennis. Conference rooms and holiday villas are available too Ticket prices: ¥70 (Mar-Jun, Sep-Oct), ¥60 (Nov-Feb, Jul-Aug). Fishing rod hire fees: ¥10-20 (plus a deposit of ¥100-200). Barbeque facilities: ¥50-80. Accommodation costs: ¥680-3380.
- 15 Crape Myrtle Garden (紫薇都市田园), No. 1 Fenglesi Village, Cangbu Subdistrict, Xinzhou District (新洲区仓埠街丰乐寺村特1号) (Take bus no. y315 from the bus stop on Yubo North Road (余泊北路), which is on the north side of Yangluo Development Zone Metro Station on Line 21. Get off at the Crape Myrtle Garden bus stop), ☏ . 08:00-17:30 (summer), 08:30-17:00 (winter). A crape myrtle garden covering an area of around 133 hectares, which will eventually expand to about 333 hectares. A museum at the garden explains the history and science of growing crape myrtle trees. Other attractions include walking and cycling tracks, a glass bridge, a flying fox, an archery range, and a children's amusement park. The garden also provides camping grounds and hotel accommodation. Tickets are ¥80 (discounted to ¥60 if purchased online). Children over 1.2 metres in height and adults aged from 60 to 69 pay half price. Children under 1.2 metres in height and adults over 70 enjoy free entry.
Most of the major attractions listed in the See section have their own accommodation facilities. There are also hotels around the airport and in the main commercial areas of both Huangpi and Xinzhou.
The following hotels are close to the Huangpi Bus Terminal:
- 1 Ramada Plaza Wuhan Huangpi (武汉黄陂华美达广场酒店), 457 Huangpi Avenue, Huangpi District (黄陂区黄陂大道457号) (1 km south of the bus terminal), ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Five-star hotel. From ¥430 per night.
- 2 Vienna International Hotel - Huangpi Bus Terminal Branch (维也纳国际酒店 黄陂客运中心店), 123 Mulan Street, Qianchuan Subdistrict, Huangpi District (黄陂区前川街木兰大街123号) (About 120 metres from the bus terminal), ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Three-star hotel. From ¥180 per night.