Wuhu (芜湖; Wúhú) is a city in Anhui Province in China. Many Chinese say there's not much to do here, but with a nice food street and proximity to larger cities like Nanjing and Hefei, it's worth a day trip.
- From Hefei, the province's capital city, there is a frequent train connection to Wuhu which takes approximately 2 hours. Wuhu is the second stop from Hefei.
- From Nanjing, take the high-speed train from Nanjing south railway station. Wuhu is the second stop (first stop: Ma'anschan).
- From Shanghai, take the high speed train from Shanghai Hongqiao station.
Direct bus service to Wuhu is available at least once a day from Nanjing and Shanghai. From Nanjing, the ride takes 1 hours 40 minutes, from Shanghai 6 hours.
There are several bus lines throughout Wuhu. A single journey costs ¥1 in regular buses and ¥2 in air conditioned buses.
Taxis can be found easily at every street. The meters start at ¥5.5. Expect to pay between 5.5 and ¥10 depending on where you are going within the city limits. When it rains, it is almost impossible to find an unoccupied taxi.
The best way for non-Chinese speakers to get around would be to show Chinese addresses to taxi drivers.
- Mirror Lake (镜湖).
- Mount Zhe (赭山公园). A hill-side park.
- Binjiang Park (滨江公园).
- 1 FantaWild Adventures (方特欢乐世界) (Take a taxi. From the city center it costs around ¥12), ☏ . This is one of the biggest theme parks in China. It has several funfair rides, roller coasters, 3D cinemas, motion simulator rides, etc. It is a high tech park with extensive theming. It compares very well to big western theme parks and is a must see if you are in Wuhu. ¥170.
- Wal Mart (Take a taxi: around ¥6 from city center). This is not only a great supermarket but also shopping and entertainment complex with a mall with many stores, restaurants, billiard bar, etc. There is a really good food court on the top story with many Asian and western specialties.
- Auchan (Very close to FantaWild theme park. By taxi from the city center approximately ¥12). The biggest supermarket in town with many Chinese products and the greatest selection of western products. The complex also houses many restaurants, including a Dumpling Fast Food restaurant and a more upscale Japanese restaurant.
- Walking Street. The main shopping street in the city center. It is said to be China's 3rd biggest shopping street after the similar Nanjing Road in Shanghai and Wangfujin Road in Beijing. On Walking Street on Wuhu there is also the big Century Mart supermarket and several PC and mobile phone malls. There are 2 KFCs, 2 McDonalds and 1 Pizza Huts. The street is next to Mirror Lake.
- Phoenix Food Street (凤凰美食街) East of the intersection between Zhongshan Bei Lu and Silver Lake Nan Lu (中山北路&银湖南路). A simple street with lots of restaurants, stalls, and dry goods vendors.
- The Windmill (风车房, FengCheFang), Zhongshang South Road 57# (nearby ChangJiangChang) 中山南路57号 靠近长江长, ☏ . Very nice expat pub. You can enjoy tap beers, wines, spirit, burgers, sandwiches, salads, steak, Thai Food etc... from 11.30am to 2am."
- Wuhu Little Snail Youth Hostel (芜湖小蜗牛青年旅舍), Jinghu District, Wuhu City, Wenhua Road No. 19, Century Garden Community, Building H number 1802 (安徽省芜湖市镜湖区火车站两站广场文化路19号(天桥旁边)世纪花园小区H坐1802号) 138-55334483 A cozy converted apartment with a good look over the city. There's no heating in winter, but plenty of blankets. It's very close to the train station (芜湖站, not 芜湖东站); and you can get there from the station by taking line 31 from 芜湖站东广场 to 联盛广场西(文化路). ~50元/night
- Rose Hotel (Near Walking Street). This is a very elegant upscale hotel right in the city center next to Walking Street
- Crown Plaza Hotel. Very upscale hotel near Wal Mart and Food Street.
- [dead link] Hanjue Yang Ming, Tian men Shan Lu. Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 12:00. Opposite the Auchan Market, it offers a huge fresh food restaurant a 24h restaurant and a large KTV. 2010 a second building should open just next door which will offer a pool and fitness facilities. 480.
- Guoxin Hotel, 17 Pujiang road. Check-out: 12:00. located in the industrial development area in the north of wuhu, close to the huge chery factory and in walking distance to the Yangtze-river it offers good service for western needs: English speaking stuff (ask for Mary), English newspapers, a reliable chauffeur - service and a rather good breakfast. ~400.