Xora is a village in the Eastern Cape of South Africa notable for Bulungula Lodge, one of the most beautiful lodges in South Africa, and voted in the top 25 ethical tourism destinations in the world by Rough Guides.
As they say, paradise is hard to get to. Visit the website for detailed instructions.
- Visit the village.
- Woman's day. Spend a day as the local women do, collecting water and firewood
- Walks. Walk either way along the beach from the lodge along miles of unspoilt coast.
The nearest shop is about a 3.5 km walk away, and is very poorly equipped.
- Crafts shop. A small selection of local crafts are available at the lodge
You can eat the daily prepared mail at the lodge, usually consisting of cereal or eggs, toast, bacon or veggie sausage and beans for breakfast, Xhosa bread or a traditional Xhosa meal for lunch, and a set Xhosa meal for supper. Alternatively, self-cater, or visit the village 'restaurant'.
- Shebeen. Drink some local brew at the village shebeen.
- Bulungula. A limited range of cooldrinks, beers and ciders are usually available for guests at the lodge.
Bulungula Lodge, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Bulungula is a lodge integrated into a remote rural village. Difficult to get to, it's worth the effort, and is a must see if you have the time to spend at least a few days there. Set in a stunningly beautiful location on the Wild Coast with unspoilt beaches, you can go canoeing, fishing, and spending time with a community that's one of the poorest in South Africa
Getting out can be harder than getting in, especially if it's been raining!