Yuxi (玉溪; Yùxī) is a city in Yunnan.
Administratively, Yuxi is a "prefecture-level city", meaning that it also controls several adjacent counties (Jiangchuan, Tonghai, Chengjiang). The actual "city" of Yuxi proper is formally known as Hongta District (红塔区).
The railway station still shown on most maps is 2 Yuxi West Railway Station, formerly known simply as Yuxi Railway Station, and located close to downtown (Hongta St). This station closed on 2016-12-15, and a new, larger station (3 Yuxi Railway Station) opened instead. The new station sits amidst strawberry fields at least 3 km southwest of downtown, but it feels like more, because the road network in that new area is yet to be completed. Buses no. 7, 11, 15, 22 serve the new station.
The new Yuxi Railway Station has two kinds of service. "Conventional" trains on the Kunming-Hekou line (several a day) stop at Yuxi as well; along their route they stop in Kunyang (between Kunming and Yuxi) as well as Tonghai, Mengzi, etc on their way to Hekou. These trains run from Kunming Railway Station, south of Kunming's downtown. In the late 2016, soon after the new station opened, more frequent and faster service non-stop service from Kunming along the new ("intercity") line was introduced as well. As of 2017, these trains run from Kunming's new high-speed railway station, called Kunming South (Kunmingnan); however, Kunming's railway network is undergoing a major reconstruction now, so this may change after the end of 2017.
Much of the city is walkable and fairly flat, so ideal for exploration by bicycle. There is also a reasonable urban bus system. Taxis in town are 8RMB flag fall.
As of 2013, there are still some old hutong-style buildings about the center of town. Some of them are operated as restaurants and can be entered to give you a sense of traditional Yunnan architecture.
- 1 Nie Er Park (聂耳公园). The city's central park is dedicated to Nie Er, and has two statues of the composer. free.
- 2 Yuxi Museum (玉溪市博物馆), 30 Hongta Avenue, Hongta District (红塔区红塔大道30号) (Take bus no. 2, 13 or 20 and get off at the Hongta Hotel (红塔大酒店). The museum is on the southwest side of Nie Er Park.), ☏ . 09:00-17:00, closed on Mondays. Free.
- go to lakes Fuxian or Xingyun, camp, swim
- Swim at Hongta Gymnasium. It has a clean and well-organized natatorium.
Strangely, there are many snacks in the center of town, but it can be hard to find sit-down restaurants with fried dishes. As well as many local restaurants and a significant Muslim presence (Halal food is easy to find), the standard chains are present: KFC, Dicos, etc.
There are lots of strawberry fields on the city's edges and along roads to neighboring towns, and the local strawberries are quite sweet and tasty. Pick-your-own signs can be seen at some farms.
- Cafe Fin Du Monde (di meng or 帝盟), 小庙街三组团32 (It's a corner, a block back from Qiyang Lu). Historically well visited spot for foreign visitors, though still mostly local. If you are interested in international alcohols, they have imported wines from a few countries as well as German beers and a smattering of western food.
- Shangcun Jie seems to host most of the serious drinking (at least, outside of KTVs). Bars there include:
- Maya Western Cafe Bar.
- Jazz Pub.
- Fuxian Lake, a large deep lake across the mountains to the east of Yuxi
- Tonghai County, with its Qilu Lake, to the southeast of Yuxi
- Kunyang, between Yuxi and Kunming, proud of its famous son Zheng He.