Zagora (زكورة) is a town in southern Morocco.
There are direct buses from Marrakech (approx 8 hours). From Ouarzazate CTM has three buses a day (55 dirhams) at 05:35, 16:00 and 16:30, taking 3-3¼ hours (Mar 2017). There are also collective taxis (~2 hours once the taxi is filled, 50-70 dirhams (2008)). A bus route between Tantan and Zagora mostly following the N12 gives a view of the Anti-Atlas.
The town is maybe 5 km long and 1 km wide at the widest point. There are numerous petit taxis (3 dirhams per person if you share).
Jebel Zagora is said to be worth climbing. There are pleasant walks along the river and in the irrigated areas around. The Zagora «Palmeraie» is the 2nd largest palm grove in the world. 8 km north of the city, in Ksar Tissergate, there is a museum for art and tradition in the Draa valley. 18 km south, Tamegroute has a famous ancient library.
There is a famous sign showing road to Timbuktu. It's easy to find just few meters from the roundabout where the road splits left to Mhamid and right to the airport.
Go on a camel trek; not necessarily to the dunes, which are hard on the legs.
Caravane de reve, M'Hamid Centre (opposite of the mosque,), ☎ . They pick you up in Zagora. A family-run, friendly, experienced and licensed desert travel business providing work for local people. They offer different types of desert tours, like 4x4 excursions, walking tours, camel treks, bivouac camps and sandboarding - short and long duration. Apart from trips and stays in the local area and to erg Chegaga also bigger Morocco tours are on the board, according to the budget and the clients requirements. Spoken languages are Arabic, English, French and Spanish. Cuisine and the experience of home visits for food & tea time are included.
Dates and spices in the market (Wednesday and Sunday).
There are plenty of small café/restaurants, as well as juice and milk shops along the main drag in town. Expect to pay between 80 and 100 dirhams for a lunch for two people. Here are some sample prices:
- Salade marocaine (tomatoes, onions and peppers) 15 dirhams
- Tajine kefta (meatball tajine) 40 dirhams
- Mint tea 10 dirhams
- Orange juice 6 - 10 dirhams
For a nice dinner, go to one of the hotels just outside town in Amzrou. La Fibule du Draa and Kasbah Asmaa both have full service restaurants in the evening.
- Hotel la Palmeraie Oasis (oposite the central bus station, the «Gare routiere de Zagora») offers room with WC and shower for 100 dirhams.
- Auberge Restaurant Chez Ali (on the way to the river) is worth looking at for its remarkable garden.
- La Fibule du Draa, Amzrou, ☎ . A cozy, kasbah-style hotel just outside Zagora in the Amzrou date palm oasis. Rooms offered with breakfast or half-board, prices starting around 500 dirhams per night. Relaxing garden with pool area; serves alcohol. The hotel also organizes excursions to the desert (via camel or SUV), overnight or just for the day. Double 440 dirhams.
- Riad lamane (Riad lamane), Amezrou, ☎ .