Zanjan is the capital city of Zanjan province in Iranian Azerbaijan. It has a lot of historical and ancient sites.
Soltaniyeh (Persian: سلطانيه, also romanized as Solţānīyeh, Solţāneyyeh, Sultaniye, and Sultānīyeh; also known as Sa‘īdīyeh) is a city in and capital of Soltaniyeh District of Abhar County. In 2012, its population was about 6,000. Soltaniyeh, 240 km (150 mi) to the north-west of Tehran, was be the capital of Mongol Ilkhanid rulers of Persia in the 14th century. Its name translates as "the Imperial". In 2005, UNESCO listed Soltaniyeh as a World Heritage Site.
William Dalrymple notes that Öljaitü intended Soltaniyeh to be "the largest and most magnificent city in the world" but that it "died with him" and is now "a deserted, crumbling spread of ruins".
Azerbaijani or Azeri, a Turkic dialect, is the primary language spoken by most Zanjanis, although many people, especially the younger generation, can communicate in Farsi and English up to some level.
There are multiple daily trains from Tehran as well as from Tabriz. 1 Zanjan railway station (ایستگاه راه آهن بین المللی زنجان) is located just south of the city centre.
- 1 Dome of Soltaniyeh (In the village of Soltaniyeh about 40 km southeast of Zanjan). Part of ta mausoleum for the 14th century ruler Il-khan Öljeitü, the dome in Soltaniyeh is the third largest brick dome in the world after Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence and Hagia Sophia in Istanbul. The dome, together with the mausoleum complex has been an UNESCO World Heritage site since 2005.
- 2 Jāmeh Mosque of Zanjān.
- 3 Caravanserai Sangi.
- 4 Rakhtshurkhaneh. It is a traditional Qajari era laundry house and is today Zanjan's Museum of Anthropology. Historical Edifice of Rakhtshooy Khaneh which in means Wash-house lies at the historical texture of the Zanjan city and it was built in the early 20th century. This place was used for washing clothes by women around the city.It was constructed by brothers Mashad Akbar and Mashadi Esmail. This historic building is being used as Zanjan anthropological museum.
Zanjan is known for having one of the best indoor sport climbing walls in the Middle East. It is located in Enghelab sports complex.
Zanjan is famous for its knives, traditional sandals, and handicrafts.
- The beautiful Katale (Catale) Khor cave is near here.
- The landscape outside the city is very beautiful.
|Routes through Zanjan|
|Maku ← Tabriz ←||W E||→ Takestan → Tehran|