You can use ÖBB trains , they provide several direct connections between Salzburg and Zell am See. Price as at Feb 2012 is €13.50 one way from Salzburg. Online, prices can be quoted as €20, but tickets at Salzburg train station can cost €13.50. Trains are every hour and takes about 90 minutes.
Of course you can use your car. However, in the city you have to pay for parking. From Salzburg eg Airport you can also take a taxi-more price competitive than you'd think. Several companies have 8 seater people carriers and will charge in the region of €120 (Feb 2012) each way regardless of how many people there are.
Pay attention, when you are parking your car. The park zones are for free only during night (after 6 PM till 8 AM) in the city centre, however during the day you have to pay or use the short time zone. This means, that you display a paper with time of your arrival and you can stay there next 30 minutes. You can also use parking zones by the cablecars, during the day they are free of cost. However, after skiing you have to leave the parking zone. You cannot stay there during night.
If you are skiing, the Postbus service is free with your lift pass. This links the town with the ski station and other areas, such as Kaprun. Routes start at the Postplatz bus station in the centre of town. Popular routes are:
- 71 Postplatz to Schmittenhohe ski centre
- 660 Postplatz to Kaprun and Kitzsteinhorn ski area
- St. Hippolyte's Church
Zell am See is at the foot of some fine ski slopes. During the summer, the lake offers some activities too, in addition to mountain walks.
- A bit of Irish Bitte, Sebastian Horl Strasse. One of Zell am See's 2 Irish bars- not huge in size but makes up for it in atmosphere, with some events eg quiz arranged most nights of the week. If you don't like smokey bars, it's also the only smoke-free joint in the town.
Most hotels are of a high standard in this town.
5 star hotels, Zell am See
- Hotel Salzburgerhof Zell am See *****, Auerspergstrasse 11, A-5700 Zell am See, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Located right next to the towncenter close to the lake and the skilifts. starting from € 130,00 half board per person per day.
Ski-In & Ski-Out hotels, Zell am See
- Hotel Berner Zell am See ****, Nikolaus - Gassner - Promenade 1, 5700 Zell am See, ☎ . Check-in: 16.00, check-out: 11.00. Located right next to the ski slope in Zell am See. New Spa with heated outdoor pool. Close to the center. starting from € 78,00 half board per person per day.
- [dead link]Sporthotel Alpin Zell am See ****, Gartenstrasse 11, 5700 Zell am See, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 11:00. Located right next to the ski slope in Zell am See. Close to the center. starting from € 75,00 half board per person per day.
4 star superior hotels, Zell am See
- Hotel Tirolerhof, Auerspergstraße 5, ☎ .
4 star hotels, Zell am See
- Hotel Waldhof Very nice high standard hotel, split across road going up to ski centre. Has outdoor swimming pool (open in winter too), sauna, steam room and spa bath. Restaurant has excellent food.
- Hotel Stadt Wien, Schmittenstrasse 41 5700 Zell am See, ☎ . High standard hotel, very close to Waldhof. Wireless internet throughout costs €20 per week. Swimming pool/spa area. Avoid rooms on first floor. The hotel is popular with families.
- Hotel Latini, Kitzsteinhornstraße 4, ☎ .
- Boutique Hotel Steinerwirt 1493, Dreifaltigkeitsgasse 2, ☎ . Eu 49-69 B&B.
- Haus Tipperary. Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 10:00. Irish owned Self-catering apartments in the centre of the town. Prices vary depending on time of year, 1 bed apartment that sleeps 4 can be got for €600 p.w. during the 2012 peak season.
Tourism office opening hours: Monday – Friday: 8AM-6PM, Saturday: 9AM-6PM ,Sunday: 9AM-1PM
- As per 'Get In'. There's also 3 or 4 direct buses (no. 260) to the airport and onto Salzburg city Centre a day.
- Saalfelden am Steinernen Meer
- The Kaprun ski resort is a short bus ride away.
- Hohe Tauern National Park with the Grossglockner High Alpine Road.
- Bad Gastein
- St. Johann im Pongau