Zurich was founded in 1856 and is known for its Swiss heritage, reflected in some of the architecture.
Frederick K. Knell, who in 1854 laid out as the townsite that became Zurich, was a Swiss of German descent. Most of the early settlers who came into this district were from Germany, although some “Pennsylvania Dutch” settlers also came to the area. Knell built a sawmill and gristmill, and a settlement developed around it. In 1856, a post office was established with Knell as its first postmaster. The village developed quickly after that, and by 1863, Zurich had a population of approximately 300 people.
From London, Zurich is 68 km, or about an hour's drive north on Highway 4, then west on Regional Road 83, and north on Regional Road 2.
There are taxi services available from nearby Grand Bend.
- Zurich Bean Festival. Annual festival since the 1960s, now held on the fourth Saturday in August each year. Local and guest musicians, wonderful vendors, the Wrench Benders Custom Rod and Antique Car Show, live action Cattle Sorting, home cooked bean & pork chop dinner, carnival rides, and street market.
- Bayview Golf Club, 72538 Bluewater Highway #21, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 9 holes walking/riding $25/$37; 18 holes walking/riding $40/$50; $5-20 discount after 1PM.
- Town and Country Bowling, 38120 Zurich-Hensall Rd, ☏ . W 9AM-9PM, Th-Su 1PM-9PM. 5-pin bowling.
- Jerry Rader Home Style Catering & Market, 38110 Zurich Hensall Rd, ☏ . M-F 9AM-6PM, Sa 9AM-5PM, Su 11AM-4PM. Take-Out Lunches, Deli Salads & Meats, Baked Goods, Frozen Meals, giftware. Live entertainment and barbecue on Saturday 11AM-2PM.
- Tasty Nu Bakery, 18 Goshen St N. M-F 9AM–6PM, Sa 9AM–4PM. Known for their doughnuts.
- Coastal Coffee Company, 17 Goshen Street N. Winter hours F 8AM–1PM, Sa 9AM–1PM. Has Direct Fair Trade relationships with producers of unique coffees around the world. Artisan roasting in small batches.
- Hessenland Restaurant, 72981 Bluewater Hwy, ☏ , toll-free: . Tu-Su for dinner. German cuisine.
- Bad Apple Brewing Company Ltd., 73463 Bluewater Hwy (Hwy 21), ☏ . Sa Su 10AM-5PM. A licensed craft beer microbrewery with an onsite retail store. Craft beer and cider beer blends.
- Brokenshire House Bed & Breakfast, 19 Rosalie St, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Hessenland County Inn, 72981 Bluewater Hwy, Zurich, toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Expansive gardens, dining room serving European and local dishes, estate vineyard, accommodations and the Coach House reception hall. Hessenland’s barns offer boarding to horses, who are most frequently seen grazing in the 30 acres of pastures and fields surrounding the inn.
- Grand Bend Strip community newspaper - serving Zurich, Grand Bend, Dashwood and Port Franks.