Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 Visit Ílhavo (Turismo Ílhavo, Loja de Turismo de Ílhavo), Avenida 25 de Abril, ☏ , email@example.com. Tu–Sa 10:00–13:00 & 14:00–18:00, closed Su M. You can find other locations at the Maritime Museum, at Barra, and at Costa Nova
The A25 motorway (Autoestrada das Beiras Litoral e Alta) serves Ílhavo.
The nearest train station is in Aveiro, about 10 km (6.2 mi) away. It has frequent service on the country's main rail line.
- 1 Gafanhas, Bairro de Pescadores (at the seaside). The Gafanhas are on the way from Aveiro city to the beaches of Barra and Costa Nova. Instead of taking the freeway, it is possible to travel on the side road through the Gafanhas along side the ria shoreline. By doing so near the cod and fishing warehouses that line the front of the Gafanha fishing harbour, occasionally, it's possible to spot the four-masted schooner Maria Manuela,a typical Grand Banks Portuguese cod fishing sailship of a bygone era, preserved and functioning as a sailing training school ship, when at harbour after a sailing cadet training voyage.
- 2 Farol da Barra (Barra Lighthouse). Some 62 meters high, it was built near the end of the 19th century, replacing the older and smaller Aveiro lighthouse near the fort, when the Aveiro harbour underwent major redevelopment and expansion works. The lighthouse authorities allow visitors every Wednesday. Arrangements to go inside are done under the lighthouse keeper supervision, due to only small groups being allowed at any one time, for safety reasons. The panoramic sights however, are worth the climb to the top.
- 3 Forte da Barra de Aveiro (Forte Pombalino, Forte Novo, Castelo da Gafanha). A fort with a lighthouse.
- 4 Museu Marítimo de Ílhavo (Maritime Museum), Avenida Dr. Rocha Madahíl, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu–Sa 10:00–13:00 & 14:00–18:00, Su 14:00–18:00, closed M & major holidays. The museum has exhibits on cod fishing and on the local Ria de Aveiro. There are numerous fishing-related artworks. €6, youths, students & seniors €3, family €15.
- 1 O Gafanhoto, Rua da Escola 21, ☏ , email@example.com. Tu–Sa 12:00–22:30, Su 12:00–14:30, closed Su. Portuguese restaurant with a menu heavy on the fish. €8-21.
- 2 Maradentro, Rua da Malhada 2A, ☏ . Tu–Sa 11:00–22:30, Su 11:00–14:30. Seafood restaurant specializing in bacalhau (cod). €8-25.
- 3 Restaurante Traineira, Avenida José Estevão 578, Gafanha da Nazaré, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. M–W F Sa 11:50–15:00 & 19:15–22:30, Th 09:00–15:00, Su 11:50–15:00. Seafood restaurant with nautical theme. Mid-range.
- 1 Hotel Barra, Avenida Fernandes Lavrador 18 (at Barra Beach), ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 12:00. Three-star, 64-room hotel with pool, sauna, free breakfast, and free Wi-Fi. €41-175.
- 2 Costa Nova Hotel (formerly Hotel Azevedo), Rua do Arrais Ança 16 (at Costa Nova Beach), ☏ . Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. Three-star, 16-room hotel with a quirky, candy-striped facade by the beach. They have mini golf, bike rental, free Wi-Fi, and free parking. €53-72.
- 3 Hotel Ílhavo Plaza, Avenida Mário Sacramento 113, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:30, check-out: 12:00. Four-star, 45-room hotel with a spa, two swimming pools, a fitness centre, a restaurant (Casa Velha), free Wi-Fi, and free parking. €57-98.
- 4 Montebelo Vista Alegre Ílhavo Hotel, Lugar da Vista Alegre, ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 12:00. Five-star, 95-room hotel with three swimming pools, spa, and fitness centre. €90-160.
- 5 Pensão José das Hortas, Avenida José Estevão 228, Gafanha da Encarnação (Costa Nova Beach), ☏ . Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 11:00. Boarding house with free Wi-Fi and free parking. €35-55.