Beira Litoral is a historic province of the central region of Portugal. While not an administrative region anymore in its own right, it retains an identity separate from the rest of Centro by being relatively more densely populated and defined by the closeness of the seaside. Beira Litoral entices with a combination of wonderful architectural and cultural heritage with relaxed Atlantic Coast resorts, less crowded (albeit also less warm and windier) than those in Algarve.
- 1 Aveiro — seaside town over a rivermouth, compared to Venice due to its many islands, canals and gondolas
- 2 Batalha — famous for the monastery, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- 3 Coimbra — the region's main city, with much historic significance, heritage and beauty, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- 4 Condeixa-a-Nova — ruins of the ancient Roman settlement of Conímbriga
- 5 Fátima — famous by the Marian apparitions and its sanctuary
- 6 Figueira da Foz — a seaside resort and historically important port, the second city in the region
- 7 Ílhavo — seaside municipality
- 8 Leiria — with a hilltop castle towering over the city
- 9 Lousã — home to an 11th-century castle
- 10 Mealhada — visitors are drawn by the Luso Mineral Baths and the Buçaco National Forest
- 11 Murtosa — several ocean and lagoon beaches and beautiful traditional boats
- 12 Oliveira do Bairro — city in a winemaking region with a radio museum
- 13 Ourém — home to an impressive castle and an important Catholic pilgrimage site
- 14 Ovar — coastal municipality with many churches worth seeing
- 15 Pombal — see the castle and the 17th-century church and enjoy the beach
Beira Litoral (BAY-ruh lee-too-RAHL, /ˈbɐj.ɾɐ ɫi.tu.ˈɾaɫ/)
Train to Coimbra-Aveiro; Coimbra-Fig da Foz; Coimbra[Parque]-Lousa.
Bus to Leiria.
- Sanctuary of Our Lady of Fátima (Marian Shrine).
- Monuments and parks in Coimbra.
- The old city of Aveiro.
- Beaches and casino in Figueira da Foz.
- The castle in Leiria.
- Troncos/doces do Buçaco, pasteis de Tentugal (sweets/desserts).
Vinho (wine) espumante da Bairrada. Agua (water) mineral do Luso.